Troy2Slick

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

The Call (2013/II)
This is one "Call" definitely worth answering..., 17 March 2013

It's been quite awhile since I've reviewed a movie, but this one warranted one.

I had seen the previews for this movie left and right over the past few weeks and it did a sufficient job of pulling me in, so I decided to go to to the theatre and check it out. I didn't have too many expectations going in, but were they definitely fulfilled and then some.

This movie has an old-school vibe and feel to it. It doesn't rely on heavy CGI to get it's point across. In fact, it has a very meagre budget, but it doesn't show or feel that way one single bit. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the film. The tension was top notch, the tones were absolutely spot on, the close-ups of the actors and actresses faces showed their true nervousness, stresses and worked effectively.

The story is over the top, but the acting is very good. It's been awhile since I've seen Halle Berry in a film where I deemed her performance to be honest and believable until this one.

Some people may not like some of the camera work during the "cruel" scenes, but I happen to like it.

There were a few unintentionally funny scenes, but I chalk it up to dark comedic moments and it isn't detrimental one bit.

I highly recommend you check this movie out if you love a top notch, edge of your seat, over the top plot, well acted thriller. You will most likely not be disappointed.

9 out of 10 stars, easily!

I haven't laughed this hard in quite a long time...., 9 June 2008

The critics are out in full force and tearing this movie a new one. I can understand some of the criticism, it's a brainless comedy chop full of cliché jokes, stereotypes, crude toilet humor, so it's to be expected that it's going to receive a lot of negativity.

With that said, that's exactly why I loved this movie so much. I'm a movie buff, have over 2,000 DVDs in my collection. I love virtually every movie genre there is. So, I knew full well what I was getting myself into before I paid my ten dollars and a Coke the size of Zohan's crotch.

What I loved about this movie so much, was that the jokes never stopped coming. I've watched all of Sandlers movies, many of them have long breaks of nothing much to get in stitches about. Sandler is the type of actor that I look to for this sort of humor. When you're having a bad day and want to watch a brainless, popcorn flick that will most likely have you cracking up virtually the entire movie, then I suggest you see this movie as soon as possible.

This is another reason why I love Sandler so much. He's not afraid to push the envelope to garner a laugh. He knows he's capable of doing a more serious role and have success. I know how good he was in Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me, but he's very versatile and I can't complain about an actor with that quality.

I gave this a 7 out of 10, I'm not afraid to admit that I liked the Zohan.., and I certainly wouldn't mess with him!

I Know Who Killed My Interest In This Movie!, 5 January 2008

I read up a little bit on this movie before I decided to check it out. The concept and plot had me a little bit intrigued, to say the very least.

I'm not against Lohan just because of her woes in the media, I could care less what she does with her personal life. I do know that she's a highly capable actress, she did some rather good work in another recent film she did in Georgia Rule. So, that didn't even become a deciding factor as to whether I would like this movie or not.

The movie plods along at a very awkward pace and I don't really feel any connections to the main characters at all. The pacing is awful and the camera work is just as painful to endure as the acting.

I will give props to some of the plot, as the identical twins aspect kind of threw me off guard. I can say with honesty that I didn't see that part coming. I was thinking along the lines that maybe she was portraying an alter ego and was the one that killed the other girl and probably even dismembered her own limbs. Another scenario in my own mind was that maybe since she loved to write, that the entire movie was just a story she was telling to her classmates.

The twist in the end about who the would be murderer is was very disappointing.

Do yourselves a favor and avoid this rubbish at all costs. While the plot and concept was rather interesting, the delivery, acting and pacing was just putrid.

3 out of 10 for me and that's being rather generous.

Enchanted (2007)
Amy Adams Is Definitely Enchanting!, 30 December 2007

I went into this movie not knowing what to expect. I read the plot and was a bit intrigued as to how they were going to pull it off. Of course Disney always has a way of bringing charm and smiles to the big screen and this time was definitely no exception either.

I'm not a big fan of musicals, but this did win my heart over from the get go. We start of with old school Disney animation. Come to think of it, I had forgotten what a regular animated feature looked like that didn't include CGI, it seems like it's been so long since we've seen that. In any event, fast forward about ten minutes and you have Amy Adams propelled into a real life world in New York, a far cry from her fantasy world.

Amy Adams brings a lot of charm, energy and cartoonish mannerisms to the real life character. The acting is brilliant and she is definitely a delight to look at. She is very funny in the opening half an hour and some change into the movie. Not only that, but she has a very nice singing voice and I felt like jumping out of my chair and singing along with her.

Fast forward to the end, as I don't want to give anything major away... I've never seen so many people applaud during a movie in all of my life. I've been to hundreds of movies in my thirty years on this earth and the crowd absolutely ate it all up like a big steak dinner. When the chipmunk was playing charades, a boisterous round of applause came to fruition. When the credits finally rolled, after many oohs, ahhs, bursts of laughter and genuine smiles, many of the audience clapped, it was quite a movie experience for the holidays, one I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

If you want an enchanting evening, I suggest you take your loved one, if you have children, take them as well, because as a huge movie buff, I promise you do NOT want to miss this one. Go see it at all costs... ON THE BIG SCREEN!!! 10 out of 10, anything less would be an insult.

It wouldn't have broken my heart to miss this one..., 27 December 2007

I am normally not too picky when it comes to comedies such as this. I can suspend my belief for any sort of movie and don't care for realism. If I want realism, I'll watch a documentary. With that in mind, I went into this movie with not too many expectations.

What really got to me was the need to make this into a Rated R movie. I don't normally care about such things, but the bit of extra profanity and brief nudity didn't add to any of the comedic moments in my opinion. To me, it seemed that the pacing of the movie wasn't done very well at all. The jokes weren't over the top enough to be very funny and I only had a few genuine laughs scattered throughout the entire movie.

I'm a fan of brainless comedies such as this, I absolutely enjoyed, "There's Something About Mary". However, this one really lacked anything to keep me wanting to keep watching. Ben Stiller was his usual quirky self, I didn't have a problem with his character. It's the supporting cast that I can't really say that I was very fond of. I didn't genuinely like any of the other characters in the movie say for maybe Uncle Tito.

This movie might be good enough for a brainless evening with a huge bucket of popcorn. If you must see it, then rent it, this movie probably isn't going to be good enough for most people to want to have a second viewing. I'd have to say that you may only wish to purchase this if you are an absolute die-hard Ben Stiller fan, other than that, save your twenty-five bucks and rent it instead, or buy it on PPV.

Average to just below-average for me, I'm stuck in the middle at five stars and that's being honestly generous.

Shattered (2007)
Captivated Me Until The Very End..., 27 December 2007

I didn't know what to expect when I came upon this movie at my local Blockbuster. I had never heard of it before and most certainly never heard of it at any theater in Toronto. In any event, I decided to give it a whirl, since I'm a pretty big fan of Pierce Brosnan.

I expected a nice, tidy kidnapping thriller, which is what it certainly seems like at first. Then we come to find out that it's a little bit more than just that. They toy with your emotions, making it seem as if it's another cliché plot about money being the motive and another kidnapping of a child, with parents running around the city like chickens with their heads cut off not knowing what to do.

The bit where Brosnan opens the briefcase of money and sets it ablaze, I knew we were in for a very, very wild ride. This movie is more of a psychological thriller than anything else. It does has some very tense moments, but it's more of a movie that will keep you guessing... until the very end.

I love movies with huge plot twists, I have some plenty of movies with many of them, kind of like The Game with Michael Douglas, or The Perfect Murder with Michael Douglas. I thought for sure I'd be able to figure out many of the twists and turns in this one. Boy, was I ever dead wrong on that one. I won't spoil anything else, but if you love movies with plot twists and a movie that will make you think and guess until the very end, I implore you to check this one out, you surely won't be disappointed.

I gave this one nine stars, do yourself a favor and give it a whirl.

I didn't feel like a, "dummy" for watching this movie..., 8 July 2007

I've been reading a lot of negative reviews for this movie so far. I don't understand what the problem is, but it was a lot better than some of you are willing to give credit for. Sure, it may not have been the, "scariest" movie that has ever been made, but how many movies can obviously scare us nowadays? I haven't been scared by virtually any movie since I was a very little kid.

The movie doesn't break any barriers in terms of storytelling or development. That's not to say that it's not one of the better horror movies made in recent memory, because I believe that it is.

The acting involved was much better than what you'd find in a typical horror flick. The storytelling was very well done and it moved along at a very nice pace. The score was very creepy and one that I wouldn't mind listening to again if I had the chance to. What I liked most about this movie was that I couldn't exactly predict what was going to happen next.

It didn't have a lot of gory death scenes ala Final Destination or Saw, but it still had some creepy moments in it. Seeing bodies turned into dummies was quite a sight to see. I especially loved the little plot twist at the end when we all found out that... well, I'll just wait and let you see for yourself. I assure you that it's definitely a, "Holy crap!" moment that will leave you wondering how you could have possibly of missed that one! I absolutely loved this film. If you're a fan of horror with very creepy elements and a nice little surprise plot twist at the end, then I suggest you check this movie out! 8/10, easily

The Marine (2006)
It Is What It Is!, 14 February 2007

Being an avid fan of the WWE, I didn't really come to expect too much out of this film. I expected cheeseball dialog, corny acting, but with a lot of explosions and hardcore action galore. Now, the acting isn't top notch, not by any stretch of the imagination. However, I found this movie to be much more enjoyable than I had first anticipated. I don't know why some of you expected more out of this film. I mean, it's not as if it was billed to be the next Academy award winner or anything even remotely close to that.

It contained plenty of action, some funny moments and plenty of what I was looking and craving for. This is a suspend your beliefs movie, where you just sit back, kick back and enjoy a big bucket of popcorn and let your brain relax for an hour and a half. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie for what it was and as I stated... it is what it is!

16 Blocks (2006)
The Best Bruce Willis Flick I've Seen In Ages..., 22 June 2006

After a few bombs from Bruce Willis, namely Hostage and The Whole Ten Yards, he has finally redeemed himself in this great cat and mouse movie.

He definitely doesn't play his same and tired usual character that he's known for in virtually all of his previous films. He's more laid back, quiet and has a look on his face that is just appropriate for the character that he's portraying in this movie.

I also loved Mos in this movie. His voice might very well be the most annoying thing you've heard in a long time, but I can promise you that as the movie wears on, him and his character will grow on you. By the time the ending credits roll, you will definitely have a smile on your face.

One of the better movies that I've seen in quite some time. Check it out for yourself.

Very Funny Movie!, 22 June 2006

I had never heard of this movie until I stumbled upon it at my local Blockbuster the other night. I've always been a Robert Downey and Val Kilmer fan, so this was right up my alley.

Not only was it a sensational piece of work, but it was one of the funniest flicks that I had come across in quite some time. The style of humor is dark, but it's not distasteful at all. If you are a fan of crime movies and twists and turns, then I suggest you take a gander at this fine film.

It will definitely be a movie that will be added to my already extensive collection soon.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]