Dingataca

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Good for a laugh, but don't expect outstanding cinema, 31 December 2010

I feel that I'm being quite generous on my rating of 7/10, as I was expecting a lot from Action Replayy and it did not live up to those standards. With Akshay Kumar playing a lead role, I was expecting gut-bursting laughs, and thankfully, that has fulfilled it's promise. I found the humour to be the saving grace in the movie, and there are laughs. I would not call them gut-bursting laughs, but there were many comical moments that evolved into a hearty laugh from me. Akshay did not disappoint.

The plot is basically non-existent, and is loosely adapted from Robert Zemeckis's genius "Back to the Future". Sadly Action Replayy is not in the same realm in the slightest. It's sad that BTTF has to be linked to this as it is a poor adaptation of a classic movie. The lack of plot is the key factor which lets the film down. In addition, the film is quite jumpy and many important details are left unexplained, confusing the viewer.

The casting is well done, although I never would have placed Neha Dhupia in her role of Mona. I feel she has the talent capacity of a grape, and was not wrong as she was just a pretty face in the movie. Akshay was lovable and funny, and the physical transformation we see him in is hilarious. He makes a fantastic geek. Aishwarya as his love interest was an interesting choice - they have not been seen together on screen for a while and I was curious to see the outcome. She looks stunning on screen, the 1970s style and attire suits her brilliantly and she looks very much like a Hindi Film heroine from that era. Her performance was satisfactory, I enjoyed her in the role of Mala, and there's no denying she performed well, if we excuse some overacting. Rannvijay Singh as Kundanlal was irksome and brings out a lot of the comedy in the movie - he was a great villain. Rajpal Yadav as always, made me laugh. However the most striking piece of the puzzle was the newcomer Aditya Roy Kapoor as the protagonist Bunty. He's very appealing and for one of his first few films I'd say he did a good job. There were points where I found him quite irritating but it was more the fault of the poor screenplay and lack of storyline. Bunty screaming "Woo Hoo!" at seeing his parents fall in love, made me cringe immensely, but I hold this more to the script and not him. Kirron Kher and Om Puri are wasted, but as usual play their parts par excellence as expected. And there is even another fresh face playing Bunty's love interest Tanya.

I loathed the "time machine" scenes because they were done with about the effort of a five-year old. We were told the bare minimum about the time machine and the CGI-travelling-through-time sequence is terrible. I also found the music less catchy than what I expected, and some of the lyrics are terrible - "all my ladies and my mans, and my mans and all my ladies!" - there were very few good quality musical bits.

Action Replayy is a flawed film, with it's plot (or lack of) being the main letdown, but I still wouldn't say this film is not worth watching. As much as I didn't want to, I did find the humour amusing and there are definitely laughable moments in the film. Action Replayy is more lighthearted than anything, and should be seen with an open mind and low expectations. This is good for a lazy evening in, but don't watch this expecting a great cinematic experience, because it's not that sort of film. If you're looking for an easy laugh, however, this could be it.

A slightly lacklustre ending for such an excellent franchise, 27 May 2008

Like a lot of people, I was greatly anticipating the release of this film. And although I saw it two days ago I had to wait 48 hours before reviewing simply because I could not make up my mind about the film. 'Kingdom...' had good elements and bad, but the positives thankfully overshadow the negatives, even if it is by the skin of their teeth.

The plot was entertaining but mixing Indy with Star Trek ultimately proved to be a failure. Although entertaining and shot well, the whole extraterrestrials theme was weak and doesn't feel right. I felt it didn't really go anywhere; the film seemed to be based around dreadful metal skulls, I wanted the old Indy back! The whole 'X Files' thing going on was pretty much unrecognisable and in my opinion was the worst thing in the film. The script was powerless and shaky for an Indiana Jones movie, and there was even a point where I was cringing . The shoddy C.G.I was just fuel to the fire.

On a better note, the cast was in top shape. Apart from Cate Blanchett doing my head in with her awful mixed accent, I was pleasantly surprised and loved the actors. Harrison Ford was brilliant. He did little wrong, and I liked the way he confessed, in character, that he wasn't a young man anymore. I'm glad he didn't carry out a charade of pretending he's in his prime, something a lot of great actors have sadly done in the past. I was greatly surprised Ford would reprise his role so well, but his dry and sly humour is long gone, something that will be missed, but on the whole he was great. Shia LaBeouf was shocking. I saw him first in 'Transformers' and 'Holes' and thought he was very good, but he was outstanding as Mutt. He was very convincing and steals the show more than a few times. I never really found him annoying and was glad he was there, he had some funny scenes and lines and is memorable. John Hurt as Oxley was just painful to watch, seeing he was insane for basically 90% of the movie. It was a relief to see him back to normal, unfortunately it was too late to enjoy by then. Karen Allen coming back as Marion Ravenwood was great, I'll admit she overacted a bit, but it was nice to have her back and although she was cheesy, she was fun and lightened the mood. I found Cate Blanchett to have the worst performance out of the lot; she was awful and I could barely stand her throughout. She was not menacing or convincing, just irritating and embarrassing. Irina Spalko did not come alive, it was more of 'Irina Spastic' who did. Ray Winstone wasn't that memorable, but he was good as Mac.

I found the ending and start of 'Kingdom...' to be the weakest. The beginning just didn't do it for me, it just didn't have that same punch as the previous Indiana Jones films. It wasn't thrilling and interesting, which is what really let it down. The ending wasn't much better. It was cheesy and the whole 'Wow I found my long-lost son, I'm so happy' theme plain tacky. I expected more from Spielberg as far as the ending was concerned. However, the action was great and re-created the magic of the previous films. There was suspense, and despite the plot being dull, many parts were intriguing.

All in all, this movie is watchable only for the performances. If you are a die-hard fan, you should go see it. But if not, I'd avoid. Seeing it would probably put you off the other three, which in contrast, are just superb. Indy didn't deserve this.

Great fun!, 15 April 2008

Will (Hugh Grant) is the envy of every man. He doesn't work, drives a fast car, enjoys casual relationships, and at 38 has rid his life of all responsibilities...until he meets Marcus. A unique 12 year old boy who turns his life upside down.

Hugh Grant as Will was expertly cast. He was hilarious, charming, and ridiculously attractive - perfect :) He played his part effortlessly and provided a lot of the humour throughout the movie, though this was subtly taken over by the many moving, sweet moments that he also contributed. This is arguably his best ever performance. Nicholas Hoult as Marcus, I hate to admit, was very very VERY good. I saw the TV show in which he stars, 'Skins', and thought he, and the show, were both awful. But I have to say he was great as Marcus. Rachel Weisz appears only halfway through the film and was decent enough I guess, she didn't have much to do (and seemed pretty bored doing it anyway). Toni Collette as Marcus's mum was fantastic. I actually thought she was a hippie with issues - that's how well cast she was!

On the whole, About A Boy is an unforgettable and heartwarming Britcom, that does complete justice to the novel.

Rain Man (1988)
A sensitive and moving view of Autism with beautiful performances, 12 April 2008

Self-centred salesman Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) kidnaps the autistic brother (Dustin Hoffman) he never knew existed to try and claw back his inheritance. Rain Man is about two brothers, and their new, forming relationship, learning to live with and love each other, and making that understanding that only brothers have.

Dustin Hoffman as Raymond Babbitt is without doubt one of the finest performances I have ever seen from Hollywood in the last two decades. The standard I think he set with Rain Man is one that is difficult to beat - he was extremely impressive as an autistic man. The way he walked, talked, even his eye movement and facial expressions, were all perfect. I was bowled over by his talent, and found him to be extremely believable as Raymond. Now, I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, but I have to admit he was very, very good in his role of the thoughtless, cynical, and arrogant Charlie Babbitt. This was probably the best he's ever done in his acting career. In addition to two wonderful performances, Cruise and Hoffman's connection on screen was fantastic, resulting in truly emotional, moving, and many times humorous, occasions. They had me floored.

I found Rain Man to have amazing cinematography. The entire casino sequence, I thought, was filmed beautifully. And a commendable mention must go to the elevator scene, with Raymond and Susanna. I found that scene to be truly heartbreaking, but at the same time sweet. The ending is one of those moments that cannot be explained; a unique closure that is truly soul-stirring and touching. Overrall, this is a poignant, powerful view of the human spirit.

Rain Man is a rare gem, and one which cannot be forgotten.

A slice of romantic drama gone awry, 10 April 2008

Catherine Zeta-Jones is Kate, a perfectionist head chef obsessed with her work. When her sister tragically passes away and leaves her with a child to raise (played by Abigail Breslin), and her new sous-chef (Aaron Eckhart) threatens to take over her perfectly managed kitchen with his exuberance and free spirit, she struggles to adjust, but soon realises not everything in life can be handled as expertly as roast quail.

I found Catherine Zeta-Jones monotonous and irritating in this movie. She seemed to have only ONE voice throughout the whole film, she showed no emotion, even in the most serious scenes. Aaron Eckhart makes up for her, but does not manage to save the film. His character was seriously underdeveloped - apart from liking opera the audience was told nothing about him. However he and Zeta-Jones did have an impressive subtle chemistry. Abigail Breslin as Zoe, was mediocre. Her brother Spencer Breslin was never interesting to me and she is pretty much the same. Also I didn't find her believable enough as a girl grieving for her deceased mother.

Overall, 'No Reservations' is a pretty bland dish, despite being cooked in a smart kitchen. 5/10

28 Days (2000)
Good for such a serious topic - but not good enough, 10 April 2008

Gwen Cummings (Sandra Bullock) is a successful New York writer who's everyone's favourite party girl. Life to Gwen and her boyfriend Jasper (Dominic West) is just a fun filled exercise in debauchery; stumbling from bar to night-club to hangover, until, Gwen's alcohol-fuelled display at her sister Lily's wedding results in a drunk-driving charge and a court order to spend 28 days in rehab. Determined she does not belong, Gwen refuses to conform to the unique set of rules and rituals she is faced with. It's only through the relationships she forms with the other patients and her counsellor, Cornell (Steve Buscemi) that she begins to realise there may be more to life than being the life and soul of the party.

Sandra Bullock's performance as Gwen was average compared to her other movies. The movie in general was pretty entertaining, but nothing great. Bullock was strong in her performance as Gwen but it was not powerful enough to create an impact. However, it was strong enough to allow her to carry the movie alone - the other members of the cast all performed well but I felt their roles were not large enough. The only problem I had with '28 Days' is that the movie seemed to flit between comedy and drama. Humour was added during the serious moments and vice-versa, causing the end result to not be as good as it could have been. I felt '28 Days' should have stuck to one of the genres rather than switch constantly between them.

A masterpiece full of sensitivity and emotion, 8 April 2008

Sense and Sensibility is the story of two sisters: reserved and pragmatic Elinor (Emma Thompson) and passionate, wilful Marianne (Kate Winslet). When their father, Henry Dashwood, dies, by law his estate must pass to the oldest son from his first marriage. Suddenly homeless and impoverished, his current wife and daughters find themselves living in a simple country cottage. The two sisters are soon accepted into their new society. Marianne becomes swept up in a passionate love affair with the dashing Willoughby (Greg Wise), while Elinor struggles to keep a tight rein on the family purse strings and to keep her feelings for Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant), whom she left behind, hidden from her family. Despite their different personalities, they both experience great sorrow in their affairs, but they learn to mix sense with sensibility in a society that is obsessed with both financial and social status.

Emma Thompson, was outstanding as Elinor. The quality of her acting for this movie is almost indescribable, and she brought a lease of life into Elinor that I doubt anyone else would, with that amount of finesse and realism. She broke my heart with her story as Elinor, and I was also impressed learning the fact that she penned the entire Screenplay for this movie. Kate Winslet also shined as Elinor's dreamy younger sister Marianne. The second half of this movie belongs primarily to Winslet, and the first half to Thompson, though each steal moments from either half. Winslet was extremely impressive as Marianne, she was extremely believable with her tearful and emotional outbursts for Willoughby - I wanted to applaud her in those scenes. Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars was believable enough, but nothing great. I am a fan of his movies and was disappointed with his performance, though he had some notable body language, like the stiff walk, thumb-twiddling, and upper-class British accent (which he actually has in most movies). Greg Wise as Willoughby seemed like a decent choice: his role wasn't powerful or big enough to comment on in detail. Alan Rickman shocked me, I have only ever seen him as Snape in the Harry Potter series and was really shocked to see him as the emotional, gentlemanly Col. Brandon. The rest of the cast were also very good and contributed to the classic story.

All in all, Sense and Sensibility's biggest strength is the powerful and applause-worthy performances given by Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. Ang Lee's direction combined with the acting power of these two actresses was bound to make a success, and it did. Jane Austen should be proud.

Aquamarine (2006)
A pretty bad 'tweenage' adaptation of The Little Mermaid, 7 April 2008

Aquamarine is about two preteen girls who rescue a stranded mermaid and find themselves giving her lessons in love. Aquamarine (Sara Paxton), the mermaid, who is trying to escape from her serious father and pending sea marriage, needs to find love in 3 days or she will have to return to the ocean to be married. Claire (Emma Roberts) and Hailey (JoJo), two girls who live on the beach, decide to help her, and together they try to get the new hot lifeguard Raymond (Jake McDorman) to fall in love with Aqua.

Performance wise, this movie lacked a lot. Sara Paxton as Aquamarine was the only half-good thing in this movie, along with the creepy caretaker Bruce Spence. Emma Roberts as Claire was pretty annoying - I don't like her weird little show Unfabulous, and I don't like her here. As Julia Roberts's niece I would have expected more. JoJo wasn't anything great either, I'm not a fan of her music, and after this, I'm not a fan of her acting. Jake McDorman suited his part at Raymond (in terms of looks - he's kind of cute), but his hair-flipping and showoff/jock accent got on my nerves.

I'm a big fan of The Little Mermaid, but this adaptation, to be honest, sucks. The ending is a little unpredicted but very cliché. I guess for young girls (or really feminine boys...whatever floats your boat) up to age 10 or 12, it would be okay, perhaps even good. But anyone else, I'd avoid this at all costs.

Much better than what I expected, 6 April 2008

I saw this movie mainly out of impulse. I had read the book before and thought it was superbly written with an interesting story. I admit the movie was not as good as the book, but I was very surprised about how much I actually enjoyed the film.

4 teenagers and best friends are split up for the summer, all heading in different directions. Carmen (America Ferrera), a 'drama queen', is off to South Carolina to visit her father, who does not live with her, only to get a surprise when she gets there; Bridget (Blake Lively), the sporty one, travels to a soccer camp in Mexico where she meets a guy; Lena (Alexis Bledel), a shy and beautiful girl, is headed for Greece where her grandparents live; and Tibby (Amber Tamblyn), the rebel, is staying at home for the summer, where she becomes friends with Bailey, a 12 year old with leukemia that doesn't leave her alone. Some time before their separation, the friends find a pair of thrift shop jeans, that somehow magically manage to fit them all perfectly despite their completely different sizes, shapes, and builds. The four decide to share these jeans throughout the summer, each one posting it to the next, to somehow keep them together while they are apart. The girls seem to underestimate their magic, because the 'traveling pants' do much more them keep them together; it bears witness to all their difficulties and struggles during the summer and connects them, even though physically they are not together.

The four actresses all performed very well, though it is impossible to say which was the strongest performer, as each role was very different. I liked Amber Tamblyn a lot as Tibby though, after reading the book and seeing the film she seems perfect for her role. The little girl playing Bailey was not outstanding but cute enough. And the irritating guy who was Eric, Bridget's love interest, I found, could not act. And not to mention that it looked seriously dodgy, because he looked about 10 years older than her... Carmen's dad and family were adequate, their roles weren't big enough to comment much on. Overall the four protagonists were the stars, each one contributing immensely to the mood and style of the movie. They all shone and deserve full credit for the enjoyable approach and fun-factor in the film. The most impressive thing of the film was how the director Ken Kwapis managed to entwine the four stories together, I found the way the stories were linked to be better than the book in that aspect. I will watch this again, simply because it is great fun.

Greatly exceeded my expectations.

Politics and love - proves to be an interesting combination..., 4 April 2008

President of the USA, Chief Executive, and widower, Andrew Shepherd (Michael Douglas) falls for a lobbyist Sydney Ellen Wade (Annette Bening), and then freefalls in the polls. Bustling staff members, a sneering opponent, state dinners, formal protocol, informal moments, global crises - all come into focus as the President explores the balance between private romance and public Presidency.

The American President fits into a category that seems to fly over the romantic comedy label and sweep under the intense political drama tag. In short it is a very well made mix of both with outstanding performances from the entire cast. Michael Douglas shined as the powerful and charming leader. He delivered the best performance in the film and suited his role extremely well. The charisma and subtle attractiveness he exuded was impeccable and I believe that this is one of his best to date. Annette Bening was above average, I didn't find her to completely match Douglas in terms of performance but she was decent and fitted into the shoes of the attractive, confident lobbyist(though I don't find her that pretty to be honest). Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, David Paymer, Anna Deavere Smith are all wonderful as the President's speedy staff, and Shawna Waldron plays a small but effective part as Lucy Shepherd, the President's daughter.

The American President is an engaging movie that will capture your attention till the very end, a very large part of that due to the dominant and impressive performance given by Michael Douglas.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]