Teenie-1

This film is an all-time classic shocker for its time, 26 April 2008

I remember seeing this movie with my brother and some of his friends when I was 7 years old. BIG mistake. It left quite an impact on me at the time. Very reluctantly, 51 years later, I caught it again on Turner Classic Movies and it seemed like yesterday, I got the scares all over again and had nightmares all week long. Basil Rathbone, in all his usual and nefarious greatness, plays a neurosurgeon who is determined on finding a way to cure his comatose wife of her brain tumor. With the assistance of an equally nefarious surgeon, he conducts surgical experiments on the brains of living, breathing and unwilling subjects with the help of a drug called "the black sleep" which renders them unconscious long enough for him to do his dirty work, if they're so lucky to survive the surgery.

***Spoiler*** And dirty work it is, I must say. For its time, the graphic nature of the brain surgery scene (especially the one on the sailor, played by George Sawaya), left nothing to the imagination. You can actually see Rathbone performing surgery on Sawaya's (dummy) head, (like they do on Nip/Tuck and other medical shows), and what's supposed to be CSF fluid drains from the area. No blood, just a watery substance that literally oozes from the tissue as it's handled. It's nasty, folks, and you feel every single cut, twist, squeeze and probe that the scene offers. You will definitely squirm in your seat! It's been said that Rathbone was directed by a real-life Hollywood neurosurgeon as to what to do in this scene. In Rathbone's website you can see the dummy head in one of the behind-the-scenes photographs. But enough of the gross-out stuff.

The horror comes at you from all sides and from all the characters - Tor Johnson with no eyeballs, Deranged John Carradine with his very deranged plan of escape, the female subject (she just appears out of nowhere and her make up is very effective with what appeared to me to be half of a head), Akim Tamiroff as the "Igor" to Dr. Cadman's "Frankenstein," and good old Lon Chaney, Jr. at his usually twisted best as the one character for whom you really feel sorry for (he played a lot of these, didn't he?) although he tries to beat the crap out of Tor Johnson and vice versa then you don't know who to feel sorry for because Tor's character was an innocent, too. Lots of action there. Even the sets, the lighting, the sound effects, the music - like the Universal horror films of the 1940s, this is very atmospheric and will scare the s*** out of you. I just wouldn't advise eating while you watch it.

Pepe (1960)
A real treat for everyone!, 31 March 2008

I agree with many other comments posted here about this film about why it should never have been given a poor rating by critics. I was ten years old when this film was released and wanted to see it but never did until today. I saw it on TCM and boy, what a real treat to have seen so many of the old stars that have since left us but their talent and memories still linger in our minds and hearts. I never knew that Shirley Jones was a dancer until the scene where Dan Dailey is filming a dance sequence with her and another dancer and Bobby Darin is singing the story. This is when talent was talent, compared to some of the junk they call talent today.

Cantinflas could have truly been called the Mexican Charlie Chaplin, with his character so reminiscent of The Little Tramp yet unique in his own little way. He definitely did not get the credit that he deserved.

Take the kids away from the raunchy cartoons and violence and rent this one for a family viewing night. They will get a kick out of Pepe's horse and his little donkey. I plan to purchase a copy for myself to keep in my collection for viewing on a rainy day. This is one of my all-time favorites.

Maniac (1934)
This is the worst piece of crap that I've ever seen!, 26 December 2007

OK, so I was curious to see what all the hype was about this film. What a waste of $ 9.95! I followed the beginning rather well until the plot suddenly changed and the scientist became the nut case and the nut case turned another guy into another nut case that ravaged a woman and then turned into a nut case that ate a cat's eyeball and then turned two women on each other with hypodermic needles who both appeared to be nut cases then...geez, I could go on and on but I won't because after the first 10 minutes, it made absolutely no sense to me. And what was with the animals? Cats? Dogs? Frogs? Huh???? I was waiting for cockroaches....

Don't waste your time, folks. Esper's Reefer Madness at least made more sense.

This film made absolutely no sense to me., 17 November 2006

I recently watched this film on video and found myself fast-forwarding through it. It moved very slowly and was difficult to follow and there was way too much talking. All I knew was that Gary Cooper's (his last film) character was witness to a murder while working late in his office one night and that his wife (Deborah Kerr in a really bad performance) suspected that he did it. I believe that there was just no comparing this film to "Psycho" that it didn't even make "Psycho"'s shock grade, except maybe for the murder scene at the very beginning. I don't know if Gary Cooper was ill at the time of the shooting but his performance is very wooden and lifeless. Deborah Kerr was also very disappointing. I've seen the both of them do a much better job. Pass on this one.

I love this show!, 14 June 2005

People really ought to start lightening up and enjoy humor for what it is, be it gross-out or straight-laced. This show offers both kinds of laughs with its off-the-wall categories and cocky comments from Jimmy Kimmel. To see Ben Stein's expressions when the categories are announced is a laugh in itself. When he makes a mistake, his expressions of shock are priceless. And Jimmy really manages to rub it in. Ben really gets his thinking cap on and it's really fun to see just how much this man really knows. The Clear Eyes commercials did nothing for him - this is his show, by all means. It's all harmless fun, offered by Game Show Network. If you're offended, change the channel! If you're not, then enjoy the fun and laugh a lot.

"Nip/Tuck" (2003)
Powerful performances, 2 August 2003

I missed the pilot episode but caught the one dealing with the twins who didn't want to look like each other any longer. Bizarre story but excellent acting, especially Dylan Walsh. I must say, however, that the graphic surgery scenes are just way too over the top for reality. Liposuction "fat" sprayed on the wall? Come on. That's Hollywood's depiction of surgery - it's much more controlled than that but still for strong stomachs. This is going to be a mega-hit, gross-outs being the strong point. Having to deal with blood and guts in my work but in a more controlled scenario, I guess I'm in for a real treat with these scenes Hollywood style. Some folks just enjoy being grossed out. I personally liked the acting. I've read some comments by real plastic surgeons who found the surgery scenes hilarious. Is it because of the pop music in the background or the excessive gore? Many of the surgeons I work with have Beethoven playing in the background and much of the blood is cleared as they work. Still in all, it's a great show.

Gripping., 3 May 2003

***SPOILERS***

The British have always had a knack for making the most convincing, nail-biting mysteries of all time. Woman of Straw is one of them. The story centers around a wheelchair-bound, crotchety old tycoon who eats his help for breakfast, he's so cold and unfeeling. He hires a live-in nurse (Lollobrigida, in one of her very best roles) who manages to keep her cool as he barks out insults to her like she's an animal yet she remains faithful to his needs for living and then some... Then we have the handsome, sexy, horny, conniving, two-faced only-surviving-relative nephew (Connery) who gets Lollobrigida to fall for him while plotting...you know the rest. Typical mystery story line. There's everything here - highbrow put-downs, sex, racial bigotry (towards Johnny Sekka's butler character), betrayal and, of course, murder! The soundtrack featuring much of Beethoven's classic pieces helps to create the mood for much suspense and keeps you there to a hold-your-attention-to-the-end climax that totally blew me away. It would indeed be nice if this were on video. It would be well worth your money. Catch it on AMC or try Turner Classic Movies or a late night movie program and enjoy. {Sean, if you're reading this, would you please do your fans a favor and do one more Bond film where in the end he retires to a country estate with Miss Moneypenny and the character can retire forever? Pierce Brosnan and the rest just don't have "it" to be the James Bond that we all knew and that I still love! You de man, Sean!!!} :)

Gripping., 3 May 2003

***SPOILERS***

A potpourri of great entertainment and greater actors, 16 February 2003

Mystery, horror, music, slapstick, suspense - you name it - is all here. And with the all-time greatest horror actors - Lugosi, Karloff and Lorre. All we needed was Chaney with the Larry Talbot character and it would've put the icing on the cake. Who cares about the musical numbers and the singing? It all tied in to the storyline. Kay Kyser is at his best, I think, as the bumbling bandleader who gets all tangled up in this mess of a mystery. With the comic help of Ish Kabibble (who does look like a cross between Jim Carrey and Moe Howard, more the latter) this film manages to deliver chills, suspense and many, many laughs. Peter Lorre alone could've carried the suspense factor but with the other masters added it proved to be a classic.

It's wonderful how the storyline was meshed into that of a musical. That was brilliant writing. The story centers around the typical 40s mystery/horror genre - old mansion, creepy happenings, things flying around in the dark, people stuck because the bridge washed out, and music to shake in your boots by. I can certainly recommend that you check this out if you're a fan of slapstick because the horror line will definitely keep you watching. Great stuff!

Good beginning but lousy ending, 16 February 2003

It's very seldom that I watch any of the current films dealing with murder and the like because I expect to be grossed out by the murder scenes. Not so much here. Matt Damon plays an average dude who is hired by a wealthy businessman to travel to Italy to find his playboy son (the ever-so-delicious Jude Law) and bring him home. "Ain't happenin'," says Jude. He's busy having too much fun with his goody-two-shoes girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow and every Sophia Loren look-alike in the villages. I mean, I wouldn't want to come home to that stuffed shirt,either, especially since I'm spending all his money and living it up! He and Jude become pals for a time until Jude gets sick of him and wants him to get a life of his own. He does, eventually, and that's all I'm going to say. You'll have to see the movie for yourself. But be warned - I guess the writers must've gone on strike because the ending sucked. I sat here when the movie stopped and said, "What the..."

But in spite of the crappy ending, JUDE LAW, YOU ARE LUSCIOUS!!! (even when you've got clothes on!)