cafesmitty

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Whiplash (2014)
10 out of 10 out of 10 out of 10.. this movie is that excellent, 1 March 2015

I've seen the other nominated Best Picture and I genuinely like them, but to me, this is by far the Best Picture of the year. Great writing, great acting, great directing, fantastic editing and amazing music. J.K. Simmons is an amazing actor. I remember him on OZ and boy did he blow the performance out the water... And you know what, Miles Teller met him step for step. This film is about obsession. Obsession of Mile Teller to be the best and Obsession of JK Simmons to never settle. The film centers around Miles as he is studying at a music conservatory. He is picked to be part of the best jazz ensemble in the school. But soon he realizes that the guy he admires is the toughest and most demanding person he has ever met. And you sit on the edge of your seat with each scene, ESPECIALLY when they are in it together. I wish I can tell you how its all going to play out, but I can't. I want you to enjoy each morsel, each moment that happens. I knew I wanted to see this movie once I saw the preview and heard part of the music. If you a fan of jazz, this is a must own. But music fan or not, this is a must watch.

Some of the worst parents in America, 8 February 2015

So I saw this and it was making me very upset at the parents. This documentary is about parents who live through their children's sports accomplishments and how the parents try to push their dreams on their kid. You have a divorce father, who just berates his son as he watches over every aspect of his son's football life. He absolutely destroys his son's self esteem. You have another father who believes that if he gets his son the right type of things to eat, his son will grow taller. He doesn't so much get on his son's case (basketball dad), he curses at the coach, bad mouths other players (on and off his son's team) Another father, whose son plays on the same team, he is a little more calm at the game but if very underhanded himself You have the worst of the bunch, a father who is trying to push his 7 year old (or 8 year) old daughter into being the next Tiger Woods. He actually calls his daughter names. And he makes disparaging remarks about another race. And you have an over educated, over thinking mother, who has twin boys and she is pushing them into tennis. But she uses the excuse of this is what GOD wants from them. And they are nothing more than a microcosm representation of a larger issue... the Parent who feel the need to live vicariously through their children and who seem to be having a second life renaissance by abusing the youth of their offspring. As if parental ability (basically the ability to biology create a kid) give them the right to do whatever the heck they want to do. And on the faces of these kids you can see how miserable they are pretty much. The type of pressure put on these kids result in the kids either commenting suicide or taking it out on others.. And these parents are completely blind in seeing this. Very interesting documentary.

I was amazingly surprised, 6 August 2014

I absolutely knew NOTHING about the comic that this is based on. Friends of mine kept asking me if they did justice to such and such character. And my answer was, well, since I thought the movie was excellent, they did justice to all the characters. My biggest fear was that this was going to be too kiddie (the talking raccoon in the preview and the tree). but it wasn't. It's highly entertaining with a good plot, good characters and great pace. The special effects are amazing.. you completely forget that the tree and the raccoon are digital characters, you just accept them. This is a movie for the whole family, also a movie I think single adults males and females will enjoy. It reminds me of when I first saw Star Wars and I am not afraid to compare it to that glee I felt after wards. I think this film is deserved of multiple viewings and a must have when it released. And Chris Pratt is the perfect "Star Lord".. sort of like both Harrison Ford character Indiana Jones and Hans Solo wrapped up into one".

Her (2013)
I seriously don't know what to think, 6 August 2014

I like Spike Jonze movies and because I like Being John Malkovich, I decided to give this a shot. To tell you quite honestly, I had no real desire to see it because of the absurdity of the plot. So after watching it, I'm glad I did. Is it a second viewing? Probably not. An extremely lonely guy buys this new "SIRI-like" operating system. Apparently the computers in the near future are all voice base. So the OS is a learning one and he is asked a series of question and then "Samatha" is created. He is fascinated at the technology of the thing as it learns about him and his surroundings.. He finally finds something that really understands him. So when I think about this movie, I think about all those folks who have online relationships only and I find it no real difference since both seems similar. And then I got it. He has someone (something) in his life that doesn't challenge and criticizes him and some people need that. The movie is thought provoking because you think.. this is crazy.. but there was an interesting scene, when he looks around and seeing everyone is completely engage with their devices. And aren't we there now? So I think the story is well developed. I like all the music selection. Joaquim comes off as a sympathetic figure which could be viewed as creepy. And it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Great casting to.. It was a nice surprise to see Amy Adams in this film.

Mr. Brooks (2007)
Good Movie, But way too busy, 24 June 2014

I like the movie, didn't love it and it is a rental at best. Costner plays a "serial" killer name Mr. Brooks. The movie opens up with him accepting an award for Business Man of the Year and he has his "urges" and he must take care of it. Someone witness his latest killing and now that person wants something. Meanwhile Demi Moore plays a local detective going through a hard divorce. She is brilliant at her job, but her divorce got her distracted a bit. She is "assigned" to the Mr. Brooks case.

This movie could have been and should have been better.. especially the end.. they had the perfect ending and they they went an additional 5 minutes too far. Because what happened before was brilliant. But the biggest problem with the movie is that they had about 4 different stories going on. The movie lacked serious focus. And pretty much 2-3 of the stories didn't really enhance the movie... Therer was Mr. Brooks; Demi's Divorce; Demi's other case; and Mr. Brooks daughter. Because of the lack of focus, I give this film 6 out of 10.

Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla. Good enough, 18 May 2014

I'm a fan of Gozilla movies. And this was way better than the Matthew Broderick one. But being a fan this is a straight forward Godzilla movie with better CGI. It wasn't mind blowing so it's no as 10, but it was satisfying. And I'm not going to include any spoilers but seriously it's impossible to spoil a Godziila movie. Giant lizard + mankind. Shake and watch stuff get destroyed. Some issues: I thought they took to long setting up the movie. And a slight issue with the creature design. And as I said the story was straight forward. And we didn't get enough of Godzilla's fire breathe because when they did show it, it was great. The movie feature some talented actors and actresses but this movie really didn't need THAT much acting. Fun to see the dude from Kick A in another movie. But regardless of who is in it, it is entertaining and that's all that counts with this type of movie. I say a must see on the big screen.

Love the first one, I wanted to like this, but...., 12 October 2013

Let me start off by saying love love love the first Machete. I can watch it anytime... This one, not so much. Robert Rodriquez swung for the fences with this one and it missed. Some people will never ever say anything bad about the guy and some will genuinely like it, but to be honest.. it just didn't have that X factor the first Machete did. This time around Machete is more like a super hero. He is sent on a mission to Mexico by the President (excellent choice of casting Charlie Sheen, using his birth name of Carlos Esteves). But other than that, (and of course Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriquez), the rest of the cast just didn't fit. The schizo Mexican revolutionary didn't fit, Cuba was completely out of place, wasn't really feeling Lady Gaga or Amber Heard (even though she is gorgeous) and the gorgeous Sophia Vegara was just a little too manic. But it really wasn't that.. the film just was kind of flat, even the action scenes weren't clicking. Maybe because they gave away too much in the previews. Maybe its because they made Machete inhuman.. All I know is that when I was in the theater, 3 people around me fell asleep and 4 people walked out a hour after the film started... AND it wasn't that many people in the theater. Gosh I wanted it to be so much better.. This is a rental, at best

"Face Off" (2011)
Best Competition Show, 29 May 2013

You know what is truly great about this competition show? People either win or lose not base on personality and the rest of the country calling, but by the experts. The judges are in the business and it is only appropriate that they along decide the fate of who goes on and who don't. I've seen some remarkable creations by some extremely talented and dedicate makeup professionals. You get to see a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and techniques in creature/character creations and how to make quality stuff on a budget. The contestants are always working with a time constraint and the stuff that comes out of their heads from just a suggestion is amazing. None of it comes off fake... none of that fake personality clash drama and a lot of the contestants tend to help out their fellow competitors, whether it is releasing a mode or coming up with a concept. I think that if this is your passion, to get into the movie business and be a creature/makeup professional this is a MUST show for you to watch. But even for a layman like me, I find it fascinating. And I generally like all the contestants on the show (except Frank from the first season). But I would love to just have a room full of paints and stuff and just told to create something. Even if I was to fail, it still would be so amazingly cool. And when people "don't" get along, they do tolerate, but it isn't fake. There is no yelling at each other or over the top acting out. It's just about people who are passionate about makeup. I give it a 10 as in not comparison to scripted show, but only comparison to other unscripted show and for me, its the best.

Worse Acting, Writing, Directing for a debut in recent memory, 28 May 2013

So I watch another program on VH1 and I saw the adverts for this show. Being a straight guy, I figure the show would be tailored made for me, hot chicks wearing skimpy outfits dancing to a good grove. I couldn't be more wrong. The chicks are hot, but the writing, acting. music and directing is so atrocious that it inspired me to read, go hiking, count the imperfections in my ceiling.. anything but watch this show. The characters are cookie cutter characters... the new and kind girl who wants to be friends with everyone. The head evil cheerleader who is extremely mean spirited. Throw in the love interest, the basketball player who LITERALLY gets run into by accident by the new girl. And throw in the most unlikely person to play a coach of a head basketball team, Dean Cain (Lois & Clark). How this show ever get green-lit it is beyond me but it is a complete garbage of a show. The tryouts, the dancing tryouts? Uninspiring. Completely horrible. It as if this show has no one coordinating as they "actresses" (use very loosely) basically spin and hop like a chicken with it's head cut off that ran into an electrified fence! Then the worse of worse... line delivery... I am not even remotely an expert but I know bad when i hear it and it doesn't even measure up as "good" as bad. In the end, here is a show about cheer leading tryouts in the NBA, and a cheer squad, in a sunny location, with hot women in revealing outfits, throw in a relative hip hop beat, and it is the most boring thing on TV. Enough to stop me watching the moment that the cheerleader ran into the NBA player... (and the NBA player.. just some random black guy they probably grab from a local Olive Garden or Applebee's). And by the Power of my remote control, I have vanquished thee from my television.

Oblivion (2013/I)
A really good Sci-Fi flick, beautiful imagery, 21 April 2013

First, I recommend going to the theater to see this movie because it was made to be shown on a massive screen. I thought it was a really good Sci-Fi flick, good story line, good pacing. My friend and I never once found ourselves board. They did a good job of telling the story. It starts off with the future and throughout the movie you find exactly what happened. Tom Cruise is kind of like a more "action" oriented Wall-E. As he and his manager are left to fix the drones that roam the earth. And you know, with any destitute place you always will have a monkey wrench thrown into the mix, but its a really good monkey wrench. Its a gorgeously looking picture and the thing about Sci-Fi vs action for me is that is about, could it be believable.. and I say yes. It has good action scenes in it as well. I compare it to Prometheus and it has better pacing and more action than that movie, although they have about the same scale. I recommend seeing it on a large screen because the scale of the imagery and the job at hand is really beautiful. I saw it on an IMAX screen.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]