liammurphy1

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Enjoyable Over-the-top Nonsense-Lee Marvin's LAST MOVIE!, 7 May 2005

Plot:- A couple of Anti-semitic Arabic terrorists decide to hijack a plane full of Americans and divert to Beirut, with the Delta Force in hot pursuit

My view: Yes. I know it's ridiculous,Silly- it has terrible dialogue,ghastly pop music soundtrack (the same 3 cords throughout), terrible acting (especially from Norris) and it's a blatantly Right-Wing pro-Israel anti-Arab- USA is fantastic propaganda-(well it is from golan-globus) But i still like this movie in a SO bad-it's good way, The action scenes are good if highly implausible.

It's good to see former Hollywood Stars whose career's are clearly (sadly) down the pan- including Robert Vaughn,Shelly Winters,Martin Balsam,George Kennedy,Joey Bishop and Lee Marvin sadly in his last movie (he died about a year after the film's release from a Massive Heart Attack at 63) but i'ts not much of a swan song for a great Actor who made his name in such great movies as 'The Big Heat'

Followed by a couple of sequels and a number of even worse spin offs!

My Rating 8/10 (what can I say-It's a guilty Pleasure!)

Eastwood & Siegel-Dated? Of Course! but it's still great fun, 25 April 2005

Coogan's Bluff (1968) (Universal Pictures) Dir:- Donald Siegel Theatrical Rating R/15

Clint Eastwood (Coogan) is a Deputy Sheriff from Arizona who arrives in New York City to extradite a Prisoner back home, but things don't go according to plan when the criminal goes on the run.

Great movie that's wonderfully dated- great 1960's feeling with Hippies and Junkies and ridiculous hairstyles and bars complete with go-go dancers and fantastic names like 'The Pigeon footed orange peel'

I like Clint Eastwood and here he plays a cross between the man with no name and Dirty Harry to great effect wonderful actor J.lee Cobb has a really pleasing role as the New York lieutenant trying to curb Eastwood's Antics

co-starring Don Stroud,Susan Clark and Tisha Sterling

Final Verdict:- Just as good as 'Dirty Harry' and Highly Recommended

Rating:- 8/10 or **** out of *****

From the makers of 'Toy Story' 'Finding Nemo' and 'Monster's Inc..., 10 April 2005

Comes a truly fantastic piece of animation that will appeal to people of all ages.

The Plot:- The Story follows a family of superheros led by Dad- Bob Parr AKA Mr Increible (Voiced by Craig T. Nelson) and Mom- Helen Parr AKA Elastigirl (voiced by Holly Hunter)- they live peaceful lives saving people in danger, but after several huge lawsuits brought against them and other hero's by the people they saved- they and every other superhero are forced underground in witness protection programs to live lives as ordinary people.

15 years or so have past and the Parr's have 3 children- Dash, violet and newborn jack-jack all of who have their own superhuman powers- Bob however gets increasingly bored with living an ordinary life working at an insurance company and so jumps at the chance to play the hero again when he gets a message from a mysterious woman, but he soon puts his life in danger and so it's up to Elastigirl and kids Violet and Dash to the rescue.

Verdict:- absolutely Fantastic!! over the last view years Pixar have done themselves proud- especially with this animated movie that funny and exciting and with characters you really care about

It was a huge Box-office Hit on it's theatrical release and deservedly so.

So How about a sequel?

My Rating 9/10

Far better than 'Van Helsing', 9 January 2005

The Day After Tomorrow (2004) Dir:- Roland Emmerich

Contains Mild Spoilers.

Plot:- The Story concerns Climatologist Professor Adrian Hall (Played by Dennis Quaid) who tries to save the World from Global devastation from the Effects of global warming, but instead of rising temperatures - he forcasts Falling temperatures but shouldn't make any difference for about a century or more, But suddenly the Weather changes dramatically Worldwide with hailstones the size of footballs in Asia to devestating Tornados in Los Angeles, Prof. Hall realises the Ice age is coming to the Northern Hemisphere and Coming soon.

On top of this catastrophe his son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) and friends are in Mortal danger as they attend a contest in New York City as a Devestating Tidal Wave hits the coast and leaves most of the City Under water (seems slightly in poor taste after recent devestating Tsunami in Asia) before the Ice And Snow sets in...

The Acting:- The Acting in this 2004 summer Blcokbuster is actually really good (Much better than Van Helsing) even though we go through all the Disaster movie clichés seen in movies as far back as the Early 1970's Dennis Quaid gives a very convincing under-stated performance as the Prof. Talented and Sexy Young actor Jake Gyllenhaal gives a really good performance - as do many others including Sela Ward as Hall's Wife.

The Special FX:- I've sat through some ghastly efforts in recent years from 2002's Disappointing Bond Movie 'Die Another Day' to Lara Croft to 2004's other Summer Release 'Van Helsing' but the FX here is very good and believable.

My Verdict:- All in all a very good disaster movie a much better film than 'Van Helsing'- Good Acting,Believable Story and Impressive FX

Rting **** out of ***** or 8/10

Disappointing- but at least we will be spared a second sequel given this flop, 8 January 2005

I Didn't think much of this sequel- I found it quite boring in parts The plot is pretty much academic- you're just supposed to watch it for the dull globetrotting (though some wonderful locations) that you've seen all before, the boring (though well made) stunts and Angelina Jolie giving us a totally wooden almost robotic performance in her tight shirt (though being 20 and Gay it probably isn't aimed at me)although there were some nice shots of Butler

Jan de Bont did make a Good Film -1994's Bomb on a bus Actioner 'Speed' but has made some turkey's - Speed 2 anyone? a film so bad even Keanu rejected It!.

The First Lara Croft movie wasn't Marvelous but this sequel is poor considering the Talent involved

Not Surprisingly the film pretty much flopped on both sides of the Atlantic- barely making it's Budget Back Worldwide, so I doubt we'll be seeing any new adventures outside of a Video Game anytime soon.

My Rating 6/10 or **1/2 out of *****

They Live (1988)
Hugely Entertaining, Vastly Under-rated, 4 January 2005

Plot:- 'SPOILERS' A young man out of work Nada (Roddy Piper) travels to the big city and manages to get a job at the local construction site, along the way he notices there are many hoards of Homeless people lining the streets and there seems to be some strange goings on at the local Church, after searching through the building after it's near destruction by the Local Police Force, he finds a big box of sunglasses, he pops one on and starts to see life in a very different way and the city in which he works seems to be inhabited by hideous aliens who disguise themselves as normal human beings

Where did they come from? What do they Want?

Nada tries to find out.

Direction:- I'm a Big Fan of John Carpenter From 'The assault on precinct 13 to Halloween to light-hearted though Box Office Turkey Big Trouble In Little China, and he dosen't disappoint with this.

Acting:- Now not being a great follower of Wrestling I didn't realise Roddy Piper was a Wrestler, he's actually quite a good actor and an Oscar-winner compared to Hulk Hogan- but sadly looking at his IMDb Profile hasn't appeared in anything memorable since.

Co-stars:- Keith David and has made a career playing bit parts in major productions & Meg Foster probably better known for playing Cagney in Cagney and Lacey for just one series before Sharon Gless took over.

The Bottom Line:- If you like Carpenter's Work and have been dismayed at his recent efforts- Don't miss! even if you just like sci-fi that's not too gory that's slightly tongue in cheek you'll enjoy this film very much -I did- and It's 90 minute running time will fly by

Final Verdict:- ***1/2 out of ***** or 8/10

(Just hope and pray that Carpenter does something as good as this in the future instead of rehashing his old classics- never a good sign)

I enjoyed it, 26 December 2004

Yes, I know it's not fantastic and could have been a hell of a lot better, but it's not a bad way to while away 2 hours at Christmas time.

I did not go a see the film during it's theatrical release during early summer - Because the Critics were Scathing and I don't think it received more than one star in the National Press & My friends who had seen it told me it was utter rubbish.

I won't go into the detail of the plot - why? because there pretty much isn't one, It's just Special effect and special effect after special effect and after a while it does get quite tiresome and much of the effects look really really fake.

It's Directed and Written By Stephen Sommers who gave us 'The Mummy' and 'The Mummy Returns' and I have to say I enjoyed those two much more than this, because it had sympathetic characters and a bit more of a plot. I think it's safe to say if you didn't like 'The Mummy' or it's Sequel you will HATE this film.

Hugh Jackman looks lost under his big hat & plays wolverine all over again.

The Beautiful Kate Beckinsale really deserves better than this.

all in all - It has many Faults (too many to mention) but when all is said and done it's quite watchable if you like lots of noise, bangs and SFX a-plenty,mediocre acting,and terrible dialogue.

My Rating ***1/2 out of *****

***1/2 out of *****, 12 December 2004

Billy Zane might be a sexy guy, But he's a pretty awful Actor he has no charisma whatsoever, which is probably why the film flopped Big time at the Box Office.

The film itself is actually very well made and is very enjoyable sort of Indiana Jones-style,with great locations and a realistic 1930's feel - with a different lead Actor probably would have done a lot better.

Co-starring original 'Buffy' Kristy Swanson and Straight to video king Treat Williams and lovely Welsh Actress Catherine-Zeta-Jones before he rise to super-stardom.

Cold Front (1989)
** out of *****, 12 December 2004

I Picked this movie up for £1.50 and I'd never heard of it and considering the lack of comments nobody else has either.

It's supposed to be an Action Thriller - it fails on both.

Martin Sheen stars as a Ameican Cop who goes to Vancouver,Canada to work with the Royal Mounted Canadian Police and ends up partnered with Canadian Cop Michael Ontkean, a couple of murders follow- something to do with the KGB or CIA or something, But very little is actually explained in this film, you end up scratching your head and asking yourself 'who's that?' or 'what did he do that for?'.

I just about managed to make it through the 90 minutes of this cheap (it's all filmed in about 1 square mile) pretty rubbish movie. It's slow,Boring and nothing of any interest happens.

Sure- I've seen worse, but let's just say it's not a Film i'll be in a rush to see again

Very Good Vincent Price Movie!, 29 November 2004

I had heard of this movie quite a while ago, but dismissed it as a ghastly 1970's B-Movie. How wrong I was!

Vincent Price Plays Dr.Anton Phibes a man who was presumed dead following a car accident after the Death of his beloved Wife on the operating table. But low and behold Dr. Phibes isn't dead although is terribly scarred and can only speak with the help of a grammaphone, and decides to have revenge on the Doctors he believes Killed his wife.

Price's performance is outstanding - hilarious one minute and scary the next, but thankfully he plays it tongue-in-cheek as do his co-stars Including Joseph Cotten,Terry-Thomas among the Doctors and Peter Jeffrey as the Det. leading the investigation

Don't just dismiss this as a Obscure,awful British B-Movie- It deserves better!

Follwed by a sequel.