JeffTheBadger

Is the magic of Harry Potter finally fading...?, 3 January 2014

Having rather enjoyed the films to date I went to the screening with an expectation of magic and wonder… I left with a feeling of disenchantment and disillusionment

As an adult watching; the movie opens well enough with dramatic and visually exciting scenes leading into an involving if a little chaotic storyline, however as the movie continues it does begin to drag, the lack of screen time for the adult actors is a shame as many of the younger cast seem to have had enough of being a part of this franchise and are now just running through the motions, the one saving grace to this is Rupert Grint who is funny and engaging as Ron, Harry's ever present best friend, and delivers some of the best lines of the film with wit and charisma.

For a child watching I would say that it might be a little confusing as to what was happening and then eventually, when no explanation comes, would be a little boring topped off by too scary towards the end (some children had to leave during the showing I was in).

As I am sure many of you will already know, there are many significant scenes that have been omitted from the book but I honestly don't feel that this in itself is a problem. I get the feeling that they were thinking about the upcoming final 2 part instalment the whole time they were making this film and with that in mind I look forward to bigger and better things. Regardless I'm sure fans will flock to see it and will no doubt come away hungry for more. So has Harry Potter lost it's magic, probably not but maybe some of its charm.

Ted (2012)
A party of a film... not for the easily offended, 3 July 2012

I really should start this with a warning: This film is not for everyone! If you are easily offended (by swearing, sexual references, casual racism and various stereotypes) then you should read no further and give this one a miss. However, if you are a fan of Seth MacFarlane's other projects (Family Guy, American Dad) and maybe you call yourself an "80's child" (so many pop culture references to this time) you are going to love this.

Sure some parts are a little disjointed, the story seems vaguely familiar and the "moral" of it kind of gets lost but quite frankly, it's just so darn funny none of that matters. The script is hilarious, the cameos are fantastic and the soundtrack is perfect.

Ted himself is well animated and Seth (apart from sounding a little like Peter Griffin) voices him with the usual competence. Mark Wahlberg delivers exactly what we have come to expect from him, and the rest of the cast seem to have had fun filming, which comes across in the various performances no matter how big or small. The acceptance and interaction of everyone with a living teddy-bear adds to the simple joy of this film, and you find yourself happy to watch and not question why nobody is fazed by this. TED is a laugh a minute, party of a film and I, for one, can't wait to see it again.

"The good effort but not amazing spiderman", 26 June 2012

To start off I want to say I enjoyed this movie… but even as I type that I do question exactly how much.

People have talked about the CGI not being up to scratch and parts of the 3D being blurry but I don't think that was the problem. The action was great, the characters were good but it seemed to be one "amazing" set piece scene after another with very little connecting them. I often found myself wondering what happened to get from point A to C, B seems to happen off screen for a large portion of the film.

I know the words "gritty" and "dark" seem to crop up every time someone talks about a good superhero film but I don't think that needs to be the case, I like superhero films to be larger than life – that's kind of the point! For the inevitable comparison with the Sam Raimi spiderman film, I would say it is more gritty, a little darker, slightly less fun and a lot less coherent.

An overall enjoyable watch but not sure "amazing" should have been in the title.