Primate84

Wonderful movie which makes me proud to be an American!, 5 October 2008

This was a great movie, which really needed to be made! There are so many liberal propaganda films clogging our theaters, seeing a well- made conservative film like this one was a real breath of fresh air. Now, I guess I'll talk about what I liked and disliked about the movie, starting with what little I disliked to get it out of the way: 1. It was a little too short. Regarding the three spirits, I felt the last two really should have had more scenes in the movie, especially George Washington. They could have had him going more in depth on the roles of faith and patriotism in the founding of America, and the scene with the Angel of Death could have done more to show America falling under sharia law and the other consequences of Michael Malone's hate- mongering films. 2. In the Angel of Death segment, the autopsy scene dragged on a bit too much, that was one scene which could have been trimmed down. 3. Maybe a little more with Michael Malone's agent. James Woods did a pretty good job with him, but it was unfortunately only a short appearance. Now, for what I liked: 1. It was simply funny! The movie relied both on political satire skewering the various institutions of liberalism (i.e. Hollywood filmmakers, liberal academia, etc.), and also on Zucker's trademark slapstick humor, with a nice balance of both, and both pulled off very well. It made me laugh a lot! 2. Great performances from the cast. Kevin Farley really does look like Michael Moore, and is definitely as funny as his late brother was, if not more so. Kelsey Grammar made an excellent General Patton, and Jon Voight was strong yet charming as George Washington. Trace Atkins was cool and interesting as the Angel of Death, too. 3. The film was appropriately moving at times. Some especially poignant moments include the scene with George Washington in the chapel, and the ending when Malone's nephew leaves for the Middle East. Scenes such as that can tug at your heart strings, but keep enough good jokes in them to keep it from becoming overly sappy (especially the latter of the two scenes), and remind you that you're still watching a comedy movie. All in all, this really was a great movie. Much of the audience I was watching it with applauded at the end of it, and I gladly joined in!

Very good!, 27 March 2007

I finally managed to see this short film. It was just as I expected it to be: Cheesy, rather poorly acted, yet still funny as hell in an intentional way. The visual effects for the ghosts and makeup effects for Freddy were pretty good considering what an obviously low budget 'Freddy Vs. Ghostbusters' was made with, and I liked a lot of the pop cultural references and parodies they managed to sneak in (i.e. a pretty obvious reference to 'The Matrix' in the climax). One thing I would have done, though, is have Freddy kill one or two more people before the inevitable showdown. I mean, Freddy only has two kills that we see (Though they're both pretty funny, especially the first one), and Neil mentions that Freddy killed a few teens in the area after being released, so maybe they could have shown one or two of those. Still, 'Freddy Vs. Ghostbusters' was easily one of the best fan films I've ever seen for any film genre, and I'll definitely recommend it to my friends!

Awesome way to end the series!, 17 September 2006

Although I missed the first five minutes or so of "Trouble in Tokyo" because I was out getting myself some dinner, I greatly loved it! Right from the beginning, when you see each of the Titans packing (It was especially funny to see the ways that Cyborg and Starfire packed), the movie kept me entertained all the way to the ending. I'll now list what I liked and disliked about it, starting with what I disliked (That way, I'll save the good stuff for last):

1. They could have done a good deal more with Raven. 2. The sudden twist at the film's climax (Don't worry, I'm not giving anything away) was, I thought, rather predictable. I could see it coming.

Now, the stuff that I did like:

1. Very, very funny! I especially liked Cyborg pigging out at that restaurant (Let's just say he looked like he'd make a good contestant on "Fear Factor"), Starfire at the arcade playing a game which looked like a bizarre combination of "Dance Dance Revolution," "Guitar Hero," and Whack- A- Mole, and of course, Beast Boy singing karaoke. I was kept laughing all throughout the film, which I'm sure was their intention. 2. Many of the fight scenes were very well- done, particularly the final one, which was really intense, and might even be too spooky for younger viewers. 3. Great character development for Robin and Starfire. 4. Very good voice acting, as usual. I'd have to salute Hynden Walch for her job as the voice of Starfire, as in this movie, she's able to display a vast range of emotions and does so in a very believable manner.

All in all, "Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo" was a great film, a great addition (And conclusion) to the series, and a definite must- have for my DVD collection, whenever it comes out.

Hercules (1997)
Not Disney's best, but still a wonderful film., 4 November 2005

Although it's not as good as "The Lion King" or "Beauty and the Beast," I'd say "Hercules" is still an excellent film, probably the last great Disney film that didn't involve Pixar. I'm just sorry I didn't see it while it was in theaters. There's so much to love about this movie, I don't know where to begin. OK, first, the story. The writers did a great job with Hercules. Most of the past movies about Hercules made him a macho, invincible brute, but Disney's "Hercules" actually injects some soul into the character, and makes him a very deep, rather insecure, unlikely hero. The story of his quest to become a true hero is really moving and well- done. Next, I'll certainly need to discuss the equally great supporting characters. Danny DeVito is funny and likable as the grumpy Phil. Megara, played excellently by Susan Egan, is a very good female lead. She could have easily been just a flaky love interest for Hercules, but instead, they made her a strong, independent character. However, the character who really steals the show has to be Hades. He is one of the best Disney villains I've ever seen. He is unmistakeably evil, yet rather calm about it (Other than the few occasions when he loses his temper), and also very funny. The character design for him was quite well- done (Though my mom said he reminded her too much of Ursula from "The Little Mermaid"), and James Woods is incredible at doing his voice, going from calm to menacing to completely enraged effortlessly. Next, I must talk about the songs. I loved all of the songs in it. The Muses add a sweet, Gospel feel to their songs, and my favorite song, "Go the Distance," is really beautiful. It should have won an Oscar. My favorite scene in the film would probably be when Hercules fights the Hydra. The computer animation for the Hydra works very well, it looks great. The fight itself is really exciting, too. Please, go see "Hercules." You won't be sorry that you did.

I really didn't like it., 18 August 2004

Hmmm, this is actually the first negative review I've written for a movie on this site! SMALL SPOILERS AHEAD! Frankly, I don't get why this movie seems to be getting elevated to cult- classic status. When my younger brother made me watch it, I thought I might like it because I'm a bit of a Seth Green fan. I was wrong, dead wrong. Green is ok, but I really didn't like Macaulay Culkin. His acting skills weren't very good to begin with when he was a child star, and they seem to be even worse now that he's a former child star. Additionally, another reason why I didn't care for the film is that all the characters in it are so annoying. Even with Michael and James, it was extremely difficult to feel sympathy for them because of how self- centered and obnoxious they were. When James tearfully tells Michael that his parents cut off his trust fund after he appeared with the other Club Kids on that talk show, all I could think was, "So what? Just get a job, you loser!" The only character that I kind of liked was Angel, but even he seemed to be pretty stupid. I mean, why the hell does he keep hanging around with them when they treat him like dirt and take all his drugs without paying him back for them? Finally, one last reason why I didn't like "Party Monster" was that it was just plain boring. I realize that most biographical movies aren't meant to be exciting, but this was almost sleep- inducing! So, in summary, I just didn't care for this movie at all.

Pretty funny, 11 February 2004

I remember seeing this on TV when I was a kid, and laughing my head off, even though I kind of felt bad for Pumbaa! Two parts in particular made me laugh, as I recall: 1. When Timon's wading through that pond, singing, while in the background, Pumbaa is attacked by piranhas, then crocodiles, then the Creature from the Black Lagoon. 2. A space shuttle falls on Pumbaa. The door opens, and Pumbaa stumbles out waving a little American flag. I thought it was a pretty funny animated short!

Wonderful show, I hope it lasts!, 8 October 2003

I was interested in this show from the moment I first saw previews for it. I watched the pilot episode for it, and was amazed! It was nothing like what I expected it to be. The cast was great, especially Amber Tamblyn and Joe Mantegna, and it was thought- provoking rather than preachy. In these first two episodes, it's been funny to see the different forms God appears to Joan in, I loved when he appeared to her as a mime in last week's episode! This show seems to have formed a perfect balance, and I hope it stays on CBS for a long, long time!

"Firefly" (2002)
I catch it every week!, 3 November 2002

This is easily the best new show I've seen this season, and though it probably won't last very long, thanks to the brain- dead Fox executives, I'll definitely look forward to catching every episode I can, and I taped a couple for my mom, since she likes it too, but usually misses the episodes. People say that It's just too weird to have wagons and six- shooters in the distant future, but I didn't mind, I was too enthralled by the show itself to care. Also, the show's twangy theme song is surprisingly catchy, and I always smile when I hear it. The characters are all charming and cool, and pretty well- acted, too. Before, I had only heard of two of the actors in it: Adam Baldwin, who plays Jayne (It's interesting to compare the sniveling coward that he played in "The Patriot" with the tough- but- amusing Jayne); and Jewel Staite, who plays Kaylee (I remember her from Nickelodeon's "Space Cases"). These two actually became my favorite characters on the show, though not because of who played them. I loved the episode "Jaynestown", where they all visit a town whose people regard Jayne as a Robin Hood-esque folk hero. It had some extremely funny moments (Such as in the bar, when the people toast,"To Jayne!", and Jayne thinks a moment, then yells, "TO ME!"), and the end was genuinely moving. Anyways, I really, REALLY hope Fox doesn't cancel this show. It's a sci- fi where you don't need to catch every episode to get the plot of the series, and it's just a great show in general.

My favorite show!, 8 July 2002

When I first saw the commercial for Smallville's pilot episode, I just thought it would be OK. However, When I actually started watching the show, however, I was VERY impressed. They kept the Superman references and corny catchphrases down to a refreshing minimum, and then there's the acting. John Schneider and Annete O'Toole lend a sense of quiet, down- home dignity to their roles as Jonathan and Martha Kent. Tom Welling is pretty good, but the best performance is given by Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor. He comes off as arrogant and a bit manipulative, but he's essentially a good man and is a lot more altruistic than his greedy snake of a father, who is also excellently played by John Glover. This makes Lex a very intriguing character, whose descent into evil will undoubtedly keep me on the edge of my seat (Those who saw the season finale "Tempest" get a brief glimpse of this transition in one scene). The villains for the episodes are generally great and well- acted, especially the fiendishly corrupt cop Sam Phalen who is shown in the episode "Rogue". However, not all of the antagonists on the show are as cruel and twisted as him. Some of the "villains" are actually nice, decent people (Guys you could see yourself being friends with)who have been thrust into bad situations. Examples are Earl in "Jitters" and Jodi in the highly underrated episode "Craving", which I plan on taping the next time it is shown. Anyways, Smallville is a really great show to watch, and I hope it will continue for many years to come.

Forget Owen Gleiberman's review, this movie's great!, 4 May 2002

First, for those of you who don't know who Owen Gleiberman is, he's one of Entertainment Weekly's movie critics. From what I remember reading in his review when "O Brother Where Art Thou?" came out, he said it was just stupid stereotypes and gave it an F. Now that I've actually seen this movie (I got it for my birthday a few months ago), I realize how stupid I was to trust the opinions of a man who also had the nerve to give "X- Men" a C.

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is an excellent film in all senses. I'm normally not a George Clooney fan (Until then, the only movie with him I liked was "From Dusk Till Dawn"), but his performance in this film was perfect, and he truly deserved that Golden Globe he won for it. I also really liked the actor who played Delmar. His realistically amusing facial expressions and hilarious lines ("We thought...you was...a toad!")kept me happy all throughout the film. The frightening Sheriff made an effective villain, and the equally intense scene with the KKK rally was really exciting to behold.

The references to the Odyssey were charming and well- done, although I still don't get who George Nelson was supposed to resemble in the ancient Greek story. However, the Siren scene and its aftermath were quite funny, and John Goodman is creditable as the one- eyed Big Dan Teague. Easily one of the best scenes in the movie is when the Soggy Bottom Boys sing "Man of Constant Sorrow". That song quickly brought a smile to my face, and should have won that MTV Movie Award for Best Musical Performance.

So, you can forget about what the "professional" critics at Entertainment Weekly said about it, and just enjoy this hysterical, light- hearted and worthwhile film.