marty416

I saw this film at Tribeca..., 30 April 2006

I really think this film is some kid of masterwork. Really I do. The Festival described the film in its catalog much better than I can: "If you think you know Steve Barron from his music videos ("Billie Jean," "Money for Nothing," "Take on Me"), think again. The director best known for his seminal work on MTV in the early 1980's (not to mention the glitzy 1984 feature Electric Dreams) brings an entirely new aesthetic to bear on Choking Man, an intense blend of psychological drama and magical realism that speaks eloquently of the contemporary immigrant experience in America. Jorgé (Octavio Gómez Berríos) is a morbidly shy Ecuadorian dishwasher toiling away in a shabby Jamaica, Queens diner run by Rick (a Greek-accented Mandy Patinkin). Tormented on the job by his coworker Jerry (Aaron Paul) and controlled at home by his older, domineering male "roommate," Jorgé gropes mutely for a bond with Amy, a newly hired Korean waitress (Mail Order Wife's Eugenia Yuan). She tries to reciprocate, but the gulf that separates them may be too large. Interstitial fantasy sequences featuring an animated rabbit gives us the impressions of life from Jorgé's point of view, while a poster instructing diner patrons on how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver looms over and ultimately catalyzes the action. Shot over 18 days in Harlem and at Queens' Olympia Diner, Choking Man effectively portrays the polyglot milieu of the area around John F. Kennedy Airport, capturing the feeling of claustrophobia and almost literal asphyxiation newcomers to America experience as they struggle to find a place and a purpose in this strange land.

- Elliot Larkfield"

I would say this is a must see film.

I saw this film at Tribeca..., 30 April 2006

I saw this film at tribeca. I enjoyed it immensely. Especially the visuals which felt quite free and transported. I traveled with this film in a sense because it took me to a magical place.

This is a well crafted drama searching through a twisted connection between two American brothers-one an ogre, the other a quiet, retiring type-as they go on a bender through Thailand devouring women in exotic Thailand. Writer-director Seth Grossman's compelling film is topped off by memorable performances from veteran actors Ellen Burstyn and Josef Sommer as the brothers' parents. I think this is a film that deserves a place as a special film with art house value.

Just saw it at Tribeca..., 30 April 2006

The film is a second feature by a director who had a film at Tribeca a few years ago which i never saw. This is a gritty pot boiler made in Brazil with an eclectic mix of famous faces and non-professional actors. The film is extremely violent but not without a soul. I particularly applaud Brendan Fraser for a stellar turn as the Bad Guy. Here is a part that he might well be remember for in years to come. Also very good is Scott Glenn and Mos Def. My favorite aspect of the film was the film score which was very emotional. I give it a solid 7 for those that like crime films. Beware there is a lot of blood in this one.

Wah-Wah (2005)
Saw it at Tribeca!, 30 April 2006

Emily Watson is a kind of dreamy, actress of long ago. I really appreciate her interesting look. A wonderful performance in a wonderful film.

Wha Wha is Richard E Grant's Directorial debut. A self penned, autobiographical piece about growing up in Swaziland at the time of independence and frankly a bit of a let down. Despite a stellar cast the film never really moves beyond the usual character traits of the British upper classes - alcohol, sex, racism and stiff upper lips and if both dull and predictable. I was left thinking, OK I get it your dad's a drunk, your mums a bitch and your eyebrows are a bit freaky but it hasn't really held you back.

The cast are excellent and the direction,cinematography and score beautiful, it is just that when you get beyond the sympathy that the autobiographical element endears you are left with another portrait of upper class Brits in the colonies.

Not so hot, 29 April 2006

All of the skateboarding and other "extreme sports" action may be enticing for some kids to imitate, as might other behavior (wild antics, teen drinking, manner of dress, etc.), while some of that results in bad falls and spills (but nothing too injurious). Some fighting occurs in several scenes, as does some property damage.

Some of that material may be unsettling to some viewers, while various characters have varying degrees of bad attitudes. Various teens and others drink, some use drugs (and drug related comments are made) and some smoke. Finally, some tense family material is present in strained relationships between teens and parents or parent figures.

Should you still be concerned about the film's appropriateness for yourself or anyone else in your home, you may want to look more closely at our detailed listings for more specific information regarding the film's content.

For those prone to visually induced motion sickness, a great deal of the "you are there," documentary style, hand-held camera footage will definitely affect some viewers.

United 93 (2006)
Incredible, 29 April 2006

The fact that the overwhelming majority of the victims (especially at Columbine) were conservative white Protestants seemed almost beside the point. On national tragedies of these scales, everybody needs to be able to, as Bill Clinton so memorably put it, "Feel your pain."

With his realistic reenactments of the events of 9/11, Paul Greengrass has created a chilling and unforgettable film experience For some, it may be too real and yes, too soon.

That be as it may, Greengrass, who did such a great job recreating the 1972 civil rights march in Northern Ireland that turned deadly in "Bloody Sunday," has found a unique narrative in telling a story that isn't solely about the United 93 passengers who decided to take back their plane from hijackers. Instead, it's more of an overview of some of the events from that fateful day, many of which few have been able to see, despite the 24-hour media coverage following the attacks.

The TV Set (2006)
Solid movie, 29 April 2006

Just saw this at Tribeca. Interesting, entertaining, often funny. Sigourney Weaver is exception. A Solid 7 -- as good as most independent films and insightful.

I would say that the only draw back are the visuals -- kind of bland photography. which should not detract at all from the films commercial appeal.

Jake Kasden is someone to watch. I also really enjoyed the Q& A after the screening. David D. is very funny. And seems to be expanding beyond the X-FIles persona that must be hard to elude.

Sigourney Weaver is so underrated as an actress -- she can do anything. seems to get better with age.

Hats of to the production team