qormi

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Dunkirk (2017)
What's all the fuss? Not so good., 28 July 2017

For one thing, it was scaled back too much. In reality, Dunkirk was a huge battle involving the evacuation of around 400 thousand men. Hundreds of planes and ships were lost. Thousands of men died. The movie failed to convey the magnitude at all. We see a few planes dog fighting instead of hundreds. We see a few ships and boats sunk instead of hundreds. We follow one character around throughout the movie and it was boring. I really can't say I liked this movie. Great sound effects though.

Whatever., 23 July 2017

Yeah I guessed the ending right from the start. It was so obviious. I guess it was a huge shocker back then but not so much now. Jack Lord with the Hungarian accent was pretty cool. He was a great actor. Susan Strasberg was so incredibly beautiful in this and such a powerful actress. I can't understand why her career was relegated to guest spots on various TV shows. She should have been an A lister in the movies. The actresses who played her sisters were gorgeous too. All in all, this film was low budget and ultimately weak.

Really scary epidoce... not for kids, 21 July 2017

I saw this episode when I was 5 years old. The ending scared me and traumatized me. I was terrified for a long time. To this day I find the name Alicia to be haunting and scary. As a child, I did not understand the plot. I never saw it coming...the ending shocked me and I will. Ever forget how I cried and was frightened out of my gourd. That was way back almost 60 years ago. Yet the memory of that shocking ending will always be there.

Like King of Queens...without the humor., 19 September 2016

Pretty bad. Fat slob, adoring sexy wife (not remotely believable), huge luxurious house = disaster. Three kids, oldest daughter living in the garage rent free having sex with her ultra nerd fiancé' while the newly retired cop dad gets a job to support them...add a trio of childlike retired cop friends and a fireman brother and you have...a mess. I can see it now..show tanks, in desperation the hot wife is replaced by somebody funny, ....and it still tanks. King of Queens had it all...great chemistry with husband and wife, a couple of friends who were genuinely funny,and the live in father in law who stole the show. This show will never get off the ground despite the Big Bang lead in. I give it 13 weeks at best.

Ben-Hur (2016)
Powerful, compelling, and realistic take on a classic, 19 August 2016

The classic 1959 Charlton Heston version is the one I and the rest of the baby boomers grew up on and it remains one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. But I was very impressed by the 2016 remake. Gone is the stilted dialogue and "holy look" (as Victor Mature described it) of the old time biblical epics. The 2016 version has a bold take on the classic and a fresh approach to the story. It surpasses the 1959 version in originality, imagination, and devotion to detail. The Roman legion is shown in all its scope, strength, and ruthless brutality. The character of Jesus has a prominent role, whereas in the classic version, he never spoke nor did we see his face. With anti Christian sentiment on the rise in the entertainment industry, I wonder if the negative reviews written about this film reflect the agenda driven bias of the critics. The sea battle was spectacular and far surpassed the 1959 version. The epic chariot race was a wonderful homage to the Heston version, complete with the awe inspiring stadium built into living rock and with giant statues in the middle of the track. The race itself rivals the classic one in intensity and imagination. Terrific movie, great acting, and intense realism.

Excellent and interesting film...somehow forgotten, 1 February 2016

Tippy Walker and Michael Brandon were very convincing as young trust fund loafers who meet and fall in love. Jennifer is irresistible and she knows it, leading Marcus on and always leaving him. But he's attracted to her and keeps coming back. Anyone who was young in 1971 knows that girls like Jennifer really did exist...beautiful and teasing but noncommittal. Secrets .....secrets that forced them to live a clandestine life filled with sadness, wanting to break free, but ultimately chained to addiction.Marcus is so in love and wants everything to work out, but Jennifer is a user. Just a sad and powerful statement of he rampant drug culture that destroyed so many young lives back then.Sadly, Tippy Walker bowed out of acting after this film...a shame, because she turned out a powerful performance here. Actors have won Oscars for less.

Love Story (1970)
Pretty Lame, 26 December 2015

I remember when this movie came out when I was in high school in 1970. It was wildly popular. The theme from Love Story played on the radio 24/7. Author Eric Seagal appeared on all TV talk shows all the time, as did Ryan O'Neil and Ally McGraw. Every teenage girl in America copied Ally McGraw's hairdo:long, straight, and parted in the middle. Some blonde girls even dyed their hair brown. Teenage boys carried around the Love Story paperback in school and got all the chicks because they thought he was sensitive. But the truth is, this was an awful movie. The acting was bad and so was the script. Scene after scene was so melodramatic...poor Oliver working in a Christmas tree lot...oh, the indignity! Big deal..like a strong 24 year old man can't carry a Christmas tree to a lady's car? And when the doctor broke the news to Oliver...so unintentionally funny...she has no symptoms at all and he announces she will die soon because they took three blood tests and found...what? Doctors don't announce a patient will die unless all extended treatment is exhausted. He didn't even begin treatment or tell Oliver what was killing her. Later on, they mentioned white blood cells and a lack of platelets, but even a veterinarian would treat your dog before giving up on it. Then, she seemed her usual bright eyed and bushy tailed self n her deathbed before she just croaked. Even if she had lived, I don't see how this marriage could have survived more than a few years.Oliver was passive, and Jenny was aggressive, rude, and teased him constantly while saying "goddamn" to punctuate everything. Best comedy of 1970.

Funniest Show ...I'm Hooked, 20 November 2015

Nathan for You is hilarious. Pure genius...reminds me of early Woody Allen or Sasha Baron Cohen in Borat. Nathan is portrayed as an arrogant loser...you know the type. The guy is completely clueless and the show is so creative in coming up with so many bizarre ideas. The reaction of people to Nathan's personality is half the fun. The formula is simple: Nathan makes a suggestion to a small business owner or manager on how to improve profits. They reluctantly agree and Nathan gets to work...consulting experts, etc. He then follows through on it and it's a disaster and ultimately rejected. Nathan then awkwardly tries befriend the client and he, too is rejected. Too funny!

Pretty Bad, 31 May 2015

I was actually looking forward to this show, as Greg Gutfeld was hilarious on Redeye. The show sucks since he left. This show,however, is a huge disappointment. All he does is recite editorials from the teleprompter, using way too many adjectives. The result is a wordy and unfunny mess. He talks quickly and volumes pour out of his mouth. Not profound or funny. His observations on life are shared constantly, as if we should care. He uses some tricks that used to work on Redeye, such as YouTube videos and a girl who has the role of TV's Andy Levy.They fall flat here. Even his fake pervert persona comes off as lame. Greg needs to quit this show before his career is ruined and go back to hosting Redeye.

Mod, but a Little Odd, 10 August 2014

Great show. Back when I was in high school,it was like, "Did you see Mod Squad last night?" Perfect casting. For some reason, I was never really hot for Julie...she always seemed tired...maybe Peggy Lipton was stoned all the time. But she was definitely cool. Lots of girls looked just like her back then...they all had drippy personalities but were total nymphos. Pete was very cool...the way he talked, his attitude...but he ran like a girl. Linc was a bad dude...I heard he did most of his own stunts.I like how he ran down criminals using an angle, like in football. Then, he slammed them against the wall. He had this blank stare with those shades...solid. Back in 1982 when I was teaching special ed., I had a teacher's aide named Ms. Wiley...she looked just like Linc Hayes..huge Afro, blank stare... all the kids were scared of her. Adam Grier...good actor..was the glue that kept the Mod Squad focused...one tough cop. Glad I bought the complete series DVD.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]