Genevieve_Patrick

Seabiscuit (2003)
A racetrack Rocky, 2 October 2009

This movie is based on a true story-and an incredible one at that .It tells how an undersized ,often reluctant horse become a major prizewinner by outracing stallions who in physical appearance made him look like an undersized donkey .Its a classic story of the underdog overcoming all odds and triumphing and its all the more heartwarming by virtue of the setting -depression era America when peoples needed all the hope they could get . Yet there is more to this movie than simple histrionics and emotional rabble rousing .The race scenes are ,to be sure ,exhilirating ,but the movie all never loses sight of the human dimension .The movie takes time to explore the trio of very different people who combined to turn the unpromising nag into a champion .There's the automobile entrepreneur , Charles Howard ( Jeff Bridges)providing the cash and training facilities ,the ovesized prizefighting jockey who races despite severe visual impairment ( Tobey Maguire),and the trainer -healer of the horse ,Tom Smith ( Chris Cooper)who believes the animal has enough iron in his soul to overcome all obstacles and become a winner .Together they are a family ;sharing screen time with the horse they make Seabiscuit a movie about friendship and family ;about love and loss and redemption ;about belief putting doubt to the sword . Brilliantly acted by all parties -with a special mention for William Macy as a racing commentator- and ravishingly photographed this is a winning movie thoroughly deserving of its financial success and Oscar nominations .The tension is adriot;ly built as the movie movie towards its climax -the race between Seabiscuit and the triple Crow winning colossus from the East ,"War Admiral "We are put right in the thick of the action ,so close we almlost smell the sweat and turf . Part sports movie ,part historical epic ,part allegory and part family movie this is all tension and edge of seat drama . It is perhaps a tad overlong and some will find it sentimental where I find it moving . I thoroughly enjoyed it and suspect most people will too

(4.5) Contains one of my favorite action scenes in a Bond film, 23 September 2009

Two years after Pierce Brosnan's first Bond film "Goldeneye", he returns for his second Bond outing in "Tomorrow Never Dies". Though not as sharp as Goldeneye, this Bond film is still strong and probably Brosnan's second best Bond film. The story behind Tomorrow Never Dies actually felt somewhat original. Stories seemed to become a rehash lately of previous Bond films, all focusing too much on world domination and Russia always somehow being involved. An insane maniac known as Elliot Carter wishes for that similar world domination, but in a unique style. In successful attempts at pitting China against Britain in hopes of starting a third world war, Carter's secret attacks from his stealth ship enable him to write tomorrow's news today - and broadcast world wide along all forms of media. The clever and twisted results would give Carter fame and glory, as well as richness beyond belief, while watching the world tear itself apart around him. Technology has made a proufound impact in this Bond movie, between Carter's media and his stealth ship. The technology made this Bond film quite up to date, and felt fitting. Tomorrow Never Dies has a decent list of characters. Brosnan seems like the same Bond since Goldeneye - not a tremendous performance, but complete none the less. Carter is an original villain with his clever ways, but still can't compare to some of the more famous classic Bond villains. Carter's henchman is a fine choice, having the look of another ex-KGB brute, and like past KGB villains, giving Bond an excellent final fight. The Bond girl - Michelle Yeoh - is actually my favorite Bond girl. She does just about as much as James to get the mission accomplished. And the best part is - she knows martial arts. If you are familiar with Michelle Yeoh, you may have seen her in Crouching Tiger or Jackie Chan's Supercop. She is no stranger to excellent martial arts, and gets a couple of great fights here. The best part of this movie is a tremendous action scene that I love. It involves a motorcycle chase down the streets of Saigon. Both Bond and Wei (Yeoh) are handcuffed together on the bike, outrunning cars and a helicopter. They drive everywhere - on tops of building and through them. The best part of the chase is when the helicopter turns vertical, using its blades to tear up everything down the street. People are running while the chopper chases down the bike in the crowd. Its quite amazing to see a chopper in that position. Overall, this is a great Bond film. Not the best, but one of the better. It won't go down with the classics, but it has some fun characters, an original story, and some great action to keep it very entertaining. Acting - 4 Action - 4.5 Characters - 4 Story - 4 Overall - 4.5

Love Story (1970)
Something You Should Spend Some Time On It., 21 September 2009

The major reason makes me interest in this book and DVD was my Dad. This movie was shot before I was born. When I was a little girl, I saw Dad watching this movie every time when it was shown on TV. My Dad is kinds of the action movie type. I was surprised why he loved watching this movie. So, when I was in the video store one day, I decided to rent the DVD to see what made my Dad to watch a love drama. Just like my father. I am totally devoted to the movie. I bought both "Oliver's Story" and "Love Story" and finished reading in one afternoon. For me, I like the Love Story more than Oliver's Story. The 3/4 part of the Love Story was a pleasant story. Both of them loved each other very much and would like to sacrifice for each other. For Oliver's story, it's all sad and how Oliver couldn't forget Jenny. Love Story is very well written. I highly recommend you to read it.

Ransom (1996)
The best movie with a 5 star cast, 21 September 2009

This gripping thriller about a kidnapping is an absolute must-see. The drama is gripping, the suspense is real, with edge-of-your seat excitement. Mel Gibson and Gary Sinise lead the cast in an unforgettable, tense, sweat-soaked, gripping story about the young boy of wealthy Tom Mullen, who is held for ransom by a band of ruthless kidnappers. The long, drawn out sequences between Gibson and Sinise just add to the suspense. This is Mel Gibson at his absolute best! Ransom is probalbly the best movie I've seen. Gary Sinise is mesmorizing as the kidnapper and makes the movie all the more exciting. It's action-thriller, suspense, and drama all at once. Fantastic!

Daredevil (2003)
Watch Daredevil How It Should Be Seen, 20 September 2009

I first saw Daredevil in the cinema and to be fair to it, its not a bad film. But it is particularly average, nothing really special. In fact to me it was a bit of a disappointment, I'd really wanted more from it. Fast forward to now and anyone in the same position as me really really should watch the directors cut. Why this wasn't made the theatrical release I don't know! It improves on the original in every possible way. The film is generally a lot darker, showing the real price Matt Murdock pays for being Daredevil. There's an amazing scene expaned upon where he comes back from dealing with a rapist and he reveals his back to show many many scars and you get a great sense of his unhappiness. Also added is a new sub plot that deals with a man falsly accused of murder and Matt's defence of him as he follows the trail all the way back to the king pin. All of this helps build the finale up to more than just vengeance for a lost girlfriend but for all of hells kitchen. On top of that the completely redundant sex scene is removed which doesn't detract from his relationship with Electra, far from it, instead it builds it up into something purer and more special than it was before and more tragic when he loses her. The end fight with the kingpin is expanded uopn in a way that feels natural rather than forced, as if thats exactly how it should have been first time round. On top of this there have been lots of small touches included into the new edit, the emphasis on the catholic influences upon Murdocks life as well as a reference to his mother that fans of the comic will love. The parts of Ben Urich and Matt's law partner have been new and expanded scenes that all benefit the film. I really cant stress enough how much of an improvement this is, even if you loved the first cut you should watch this, I'm sure you'll be amazed! The darkness and humanity of the character have been brought to life superbly, and the end result is all the better for the changes.

Unsurpassed., 17 September 2009

I am a 31 year old man, married to a high-powered corporate secretary. Her favorite film is Nine to Five. I never understood this until the past year. It NAILS what is STILL going on to our women in the workplace. Lily Tomlin is absolutely perfect in her role as Violet, and she is really at the heart of the movie. Her struggle is that of almost any honest, hard-working mid-level manager. This is not feminist propaganda by any stretch -- in fact I am extremely impressed by the humor with which this movie is pulled off. Dolly Parton is so awesome, so hilarious. Dabney Coleman embodies pure sleaze, and although it pains me to say this, many "executives" here in 2005 are almost identical to him. Obviously he is a ridiculous chauvinist bastard, but so are thousands of these guys in corporate America (and elsewhere) -- and they do it with impunity and without a sense of humor. Thank God for Nine to Five!

Jaws 2 (1978)
"I don't intend to go through that hell again!", 16 September 2009

No possible way to be better than the original. No way. Because the original was basically a creative and productive fluke that became a staple suspense classic due to primarily two things: Spielberg's amibitious direction and Verna Fields' FLAWLESS editing. (She won that Oscar for a damn good reason.) "Jaws" was nothing but mistakes, but Verna Fields' editing covered up every single one. It's basically a miracle of film-making, now how can you surpass a miracle? "Jaws 2" does one thing EXTREMELY right: it spends time analyzing the trauma resulting from shark attacks, or people that have witnessed them. One of my favorite parts of this sequel is when Brody and some men rescue that girl whose boyfriend got eaten the day before. She was cowering under the rim of the boat the entire night, muttering incoherently, and nearly catatonic from primal fear. I didn't think a sequel to "Jaws" could invoke something so relatable. That right there gets my props. The Editorial Review for this is too mean-spirited. It ain't necessarily wrong, but it just focuses on the superficial negatives. Watch the film, and a real story does emerge. Chief Brody, forever scarred by his aquatic showdown with Bruce, acts somewhat rash and a little obsessive, but can any one of us blame him? Spielberg put this guy through a wet Hell three years prior (see review title). I'll just say some things I enjoyed about it. It's the only sequel that comes closest to reflecting the visual cadence of the original. Contrary to the above, it does have a nice style, and the photography might be the prettiest you get in the entire franchise. Why does a "Jaws" movie look so pretty? It is directed by a Frenchman, after all. Apparently, Jeannot Szwarc knew Zanuck and Brown by directing episodes of "Night Gallery" like Spielberg did, too. He pulls off some gorgeous and difficult shots in this film. (Keep an eye on the shark's POV of the waterskier -- it ain't miniature, it's full-scale live.) Surprisingly, the gore is considerably less than the original, which is basically a bloody mess of a film if you think about it. There is some nasty violence in it though: the attack on the boyfriend I mentioned before, and the girl that gets swallowed whole near the end. Look, just have fun with the helicopter attack and the manic girl that won't stop screaming at the end. Love the shark the filmmakers nicknamed "Scarface" and the fact that he can survive an explosion being only inches away from it. But best of all, enjoy Roy Scheider giving his wife's boss some come-uppance with a parking ticket. "Jane Eyre" this film is not. Overall, check this out, it's not a waste at all. I watched this with my sister, a marine biologist, which is a novel way to view something like this. She can attest to some facts about the beached killer whale, but great whites just don't get as big as Shamu. It's fun to imagine if they did. Ironically, perhaps the best piece of the DVD is the Behind The Scenes Making Of Feature. It is thorough, comprehensive, informative, and engaging as hell. AT LEAST as good as the "Jaws" Behind The Scenes with Spielberg and Richard Dreyfuss, which was exceptional. These "Jaws" crews know how to make something out of nothing, that's for sure. Not necessarily essential, but still recommended.

I Wish We Had This Stuff, 16 September 2009

"Enemy Of The State", is a good piece of entertainment from a duo of filmmakers that have brought many such pieces to the screen. Having said that, if we had 1% of the gee-whiz gadgets that this film had, and they worked with 1% of the efficiency that the film portrays, Osama Bin Laden would have been apprehended before midnight on September 11th. The balance of Al Qaeda would have been rounded up within a day or two. Orwell's vision in, "1984", is tame when compared to the absolute instantaneous control this film portrays the US Government as having over any citizen they pick. A good story needs good actors and this film has at least a trio of fine performers. Will Smith is a man whose career is still just in the early stages of what should prove to be decades of success, and he already has one Oscar Nomination to his credit, Jon Voight already has an Oscar on his shelf, and one of my favorite actors without condition, Gene Hackman, adds yet another great performance to his resume of films. There are real government agencies portrayed in the film, but they are portrayed in a science fiction like manner. No film crew is going to get inside of The NSA, and no amount of name dropping of publicly known satellite names, like "Keyhole", make this film's portrayal of data gathering any more believable. The NSA wishes they could do what this film gives them credit for. However if you really want to know what they can and cannot do, there are many very good books that share the little information that is in the public domain. Much of it is dated, but like the first Stealth F117-A fighter, when we (the public) were finally shown the plane, it was already an antique, an incredible and still very useful aircraft, but one that had been around for many, many years, and was already several generations old. Watch this film for the pace and entertainment of a great chase from beginning to end. Just do not take the technology too seriously, and don't allow it to raise any level of paranoia you may have. One fact about The NSA that has been documented is that they can review less than half of what they collect. This is not due to their competence level, rather the shear volume their systems flag for review.