davidfurlotte

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Lost? No, more like thrown away., 9 January 2017

This movie makes it appear that Asylum has set up an office in Asia.

Firstly, if the movie was going to be based on a mega upgrade of an existing airframe for an authentic aircraft manufacturer it might have been worthwhile to at least talk to them and determine a few details so that some technical specifications would be correct.

For not a whole lot of dollars they could have hired a pilot to act as a technical adviser and maybe then they wouldn't have been doing things like making miracle landings on tiny airfields in the middle of the Pacific and most definitely not being foolish enough to try and land on an aircraft carrier. Oh, and by the way, when take-off has started, there is no way two people could run fast enough to run up to some kind of escape hatch without being blown away by the exhaust from the engines.

I'm not even going to discuss the CGI other than to say I believe I've seen better cartoons on Saturday mornings than those "cats" they were using.

I'm sure in the Chinese languages a lot of what was in the script made perfect sense and was very dramatic but when it got translated to English it sounded very stilted and cheesy. IF you're going to make a picture primarily for an English speaking audience, please use English screenwriters and perhaps you will have a much better go of it.

Whether it was the script, the direction or simply the actors, much of what appeared on screen bordered on some high-school play. Sorry, but this movie is really not worth the time to view it.

It IS Evilicious, 14 February 2016

A lot of people are complaining about how this show brings out the worst in people who are competing. It's like those people believe all Chefs and cooks are somehow superior and should never behave like that. Ridiculous! The show is entertaining and nobody forces the contestants to play the game. They do it simply to try and win some money and exercise their culinary skill.

The dishes that Alton makes them create are not rocket science, they're ordinary foods that most of the viewers are familiar with and probably many of us have made at one time or another.

MOST of the fun in the show is seeing some of the ways the chefs actually get around the sabotages because it does show their creativity and in some instances, absolute culinary genius.

I have YET to watch a single episode where I have not laughed out loud and with this show already going for 12 seasons, I only hope it goes for another 12.

Believe (2013/I)
What's not to like?, 30 September 2014

I felt I needed to add a review for this movie based on the semi-negative review given by another reviewer. He stated that if you're looking for a good movie about football, you should look elsewhere. In essence he's right, but therein lies his problem.

Saying "Believe" is about football is about as right as saying Americans play football and everyone else plays soccer.

*****There will be spoilers here*****

Yes, there are a lot of clichés in the movie but take them with a grain of salt and move on.

Of course "our team" wins, of course our star player makes it to the field and of course there's a life lesson in it for EVERYONE but that's what makes it such a great movie.

This is one of those movies that you're going to smile, you're going to cry and you're going to laugh but in the end you're going to walk away thinking that maybe there's hope for this world.

Sir Matt Busby DID in fact work with kids and although there was never something as dramatic as this happen that we know about does not mean it never could have happened.

Some of the acting was brilliant especially from the young ones.

All in all, this is one of those movies that you can sit back, relax and enjoy it with your entire family, knowing that you'll be happier for having watched it!

I think I figured it out., 28 August 2014

I think I figured out what all the actors are doing with this series.

*****I'm not sure if below is a spoiler because I'm sure you've read about this or if you have watched at least one of the episodes, you know what I'm talking about*****

They all think the parts played by the smoking cult are the parts they REALLY want so they're doing their very best to downplay their abilities as actors so they can eventually end up playing as a cult member. (Just think, you don't need to remember lines, you don't need to show any emotion and you get to smoke on camera as much as you want.) I've tried to figure out this show, I really have, but I'm ready to give up now.

Firstly, we have this great big "culling of the herd" with 2% of the world's population going away. Er, in case you missed it, check out how many people died in WW I and WW II on a per capita basis with nobody going as bonkers as the people in this small town.

Now, three years after this "event" takes place we have a totally new society. We have a new religious? cult that doesn't speak, smokes continually and STALKS people - why they aren't the subjects of some major youtube outing, I don't know.

Our town sheriff seems to have lost his mind but that's to be expected since dear old dad lost his when HE was the sheriff.

Now, back to this cult for a moment. I could understand if say people joined this thing because they had lost someone close, like one character who lost her whole family, husband and three kids, but ONE of the main characters who joined up, didn't lose ANYONE and she had a really good job as a therapist who should have stuck around to help those poor people who DID lose people. Oh, and incidentally, the one who did lose ALL her family, she didn't join the cult - in fact she hates them.

I also wouldn't mind this show so much if they spent even a SMIDGE of time on trying to determine what happened, but they don't. It's like "Oh, we have to fill out a bunch of missing person reports now." and that's it. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE you might want to try and figure out what this whole thing was in case it comes back for MORE? Even if you label it as just trying to find CLOSURE for the other people.

I've seen five episodes of this thing now and instead of answering any questions or even giving me a reason to actually CARE for some of the characters all it gives me is a headache from shaking my head wondering why I even bother. Bottom line, give it a pass.

Survival Code (2013) (TV)
Happily Shocked, 6 May 2014

Firstly, I am not a member of the crew, cast or production team before anyone attempts to try that angle. Just check out how many reviews I have done, and that perhaps might give you a clue.

This movie shocked me because I never even heard of it or had it on my radar and to be blunt, I chose to watch it just to pass a little time before going to watch a "blockbuster" movie.

The quality of all aspects of this movie are superb. I know that we have some talent in this country and this movie illustrates that.

As I watched it, I recognized rather early on that this was obviously a pilot for a series and the ending really locked that theory into place. Additionally, it left me with a desire to see the next episode, so I truly hope that this will get picked up and broadcast prime time.

If you haven't heard about it or seen it, please do give it a view and ENJOY.

"The 100" (2014)
Okay, I've watched five episodes and I want to know...., 16 April 2014

I really had hope for the show but it seems the scriptwriters are a team of 14 year old honour students that skipped their science classes.

*****Spoilers Here****** Here's what I want to know.

1. Let's send 100 prisoners down to check out the planet and see if it's inhabitable because we don't have any probes that can check things out. Let's hook them all up with these nifty wristbands that will tell us their vital signs but WHY did they not give them ONE single radio or some device to simply TEXT something like, "We made it and we're still breathing?"

2. EVERY living creature was supposedly destroyed through radiation but miraculously we have animals and even humans "re-spawning" on the planet within 100 years? Did I miss something that showed us how evolution re-booted and somehow sped up so things that took hundreds of thousands of years could happen overnight?

3. When astronauts and cosmonauts go onto the ISS and stay for more than a month they have to take time to adapt to our gravity on their return to simply be able to walk again. How, after 100 years in space with minimal gravity, these kids are able to deal with Earth's gravity as though it was nothing?

4. When ever crime is a supposed death sentence, why would you even have a prison system? 5. Obviously there are multiple drop ships to enable the full 4000 people to return to Earth so why not do your "culling" of the herd by sending them back to a planet that MAY or MAY NOT allow them to live? "Floating" them or killing them off with gas means they definitely die.

6. Why are the "4000" people being the "best hope for humanity" all from North America?

To say those are just a few of the questions I have is an understatement, however, I really don't hold a lot of hope in seeing some rational answers to this. Oh, and BTW, we have now exchanged one love triangle for another.

I Have a Theory, 22 January 2014

My theory is that there are several production companies in Hollywood that specialize in making movies to LOSE money and claim a tax write-off from the production. Mind you, because they KNOW they're going to be losing that money, they have to make sure the numbers aren't too big so, you end up with a really poor low-budget movie.

Now, these production companies have scripts already put together, probably written by nephews or in-laws or in some cases, I think the family pet wrote a few of them, but they ALL follow the same criteria. Do a remake of a very good movie but make sure the actors and the script are so below par that NOBODY will go to see it. In fact, make sure that there is no possible way that somebody could MISS how the production plagiarized the real thing.

**********HERE THERE BE SPOILERS*********** Strategic Command is one of those movies. It copied the main story from Executive Decision, tossed in the opening from The Rock and ended with Executive Decision down to the SALUTE at the end.

The Differences? Executive Decision cost 55 Million to make and used some pretty good actors who knew how to actually show different emotions depending on what was called for in the scene. Strategic Command probably had a budget that may have broke 6 figures, but I doubt it and I suspect SOME of the actors in this flick worked for food.

One of the tell-tale signs that the movie was probably a tax write-off? Usage of stock footage from other movies although I will give them credit for using ONLY the footage of the F-16's from Iron Eagle instead of having the aircraft change from F-16's to F-15's to F-14's like some other movies have done.

If you want to watch a good movie, re-watch Executive Decision because you will be glad you did instead of wasting your time on this thing.

Harrigan (2013)
I had to go and see how real it was..., 14 January 2014

One of the main criteria that I judge movies by is how they motivate or don't motivate me to go check out more about them and this movie definitely motivated me.

I grew up through the 70's and I was surprised when the movie stated in the beginning that Britain was going through a period of strife with a 3 day work week and blackouts because they were rationing power. Now mind you, I was in High School and needless to say World News was not at the top of my list of things to keep informed about but I was shocked that I had somehow missed that bit of recent history.

In any case, onto the movie. I loved the acting, the grittiness of the characters and the downright humanity of it all. I didn't feel like I was watching a movie as much as I was watching a story being told about real people and real events. Kudos to everyone who had a part in this from the best boy up to the Executive Producer.

If you want to watch a good movie made on what would today be considered a shoestring budget, you need to watch "Harrigan"

7E (2013)
Do You Like Scratching Your Head?, 29 December 2013

If you like scratching your head and asking questions like:

1. Why did I decide to watch this movie all the way through?

2. I'm sure there was a story in there somewhere, but where?

3. Did they run out of budget and couldn't finish it?

4. It's a masterpiece, but I'm just too dumb to understand it?

5. What would a film look like that was made by a mentally challenged individual(s)?

then this is the film for you!

Maybe I'm too old school but as I recall, a story is supposed to have a beginning, a middle and an ending.

Typical stories will have a hero or heroine who is introduced to us somewhere during the beginning and then placed in some kind of situation to get us involved and perhaps identify with them during the middle and usually have something interesting happen to draw us in, and finally have an ending with some kind of resolution.

I think we had a beginning and the middle was a little weak but the ending was atrocious because nothing really made sense.

Unless you really like scratching your head, give it a pass.

Abducted (2013/I)
They struggled for an ending..., 3 November 2013

This is one of those movies that you continue to watch because you're curious about what is going to happen next.

*********Spoilers Ahead (Don't say you weren't warned ********** Dave and Jessica are starting their vacation in California and on day one they are tranquilized and taken away to some unknown facility.

Firstly, the acting was solid and thankfully the director decided to fore-go the typical "females must scream for no apparent reason other than to let everyone know they're afraid" style of thriller schlock.

Clues and twists keep coming into play mostly through the introduction of new characters to the movie and finally we get to realize that one of the pair of young couples that were abducted were on the right path.

The ending leaves the watcher wondering more about what they THINK they have determined and wondering what happens next rather than tying it all up with a pretty ribbon and leaving the viewer satisfied.

As the previous reviewer has stated, they did a lot better with their obvious low budget than many of the big budget studio flicks have done lately and hopefully these talented people will put some more out there.

If you haven't seen it yet, please enjoy because it is worth the watch.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]