kevinwburns

Beauty Grabbed, Acting and Story Kept, 11 January 2001

I remember that I watched the first episode of "Murder One" because I saw a commercial for it which featured a woman (Bobbie Phillips) whom I found simply gorgeous. After I watched the episode, though, I thought, "This is the best television show I have ever seen!" I continued to enjoy Bobbie's beauty, but she was just the icing.

The cake was the story and the acting--especially that of Daniel Benzali who, in my opinion, crafted the most fascinating television character ever. Intelligence, refinement, rectitude...Mr. Benzali portrayed Theodore Hoffman as a Howard Roark/James Bond composite that I had previously hoped to see but felt would never materialize in any form of fiction, especially via the medium of television.

The first season of "Murder One" was an absolute joy to watch, every single episode. It seemed bigger-than-life yet believable at every turn. My hope is that it will find its way to DVD. Hey, Teddy Hoffman became "real" despite my doubts; perhaps the story of his law firm will one day become "binary" despite my doubts.

(It eventually happened -- the DVD set, that is -- and I am grateful.)