Bats_Breath

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Too fake, not everybody in the 80s dressed like Miami Vice and Madonna, 3 June 2015

This show is too fake for me to take seriously. I don't get why other TV shows can be done in other decades (i.e. 1960s or 70s) and not have to constantly drop mile a minute pop cultural references but a proper 80s show/movie is so hard to do. The way people dress on The Goldbergs is kinda fake. Nearly everyone looks like an extra from Miami Vice and most every girl is a Madonna wannabee. Or if you're an "older character" you are wearing one of those funky Bill Cosby sweaters. While yes it's true some of this stuff was around, not everyone was wearing this crap all the freakin' time. Not everyone in the 90s walked around looking all grunged out, not everyone in the 2000s walked around saying "Hey we're in the 00s!, lets dress like Usher!" I mean come on people. Go watch Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Cosby Show or Full House to see how it was in the 80s. Sure the gaudy over the top 80s fashions were there, but most of the time people in daily life wore casual stuff that could be worn in 2015 and not gotten a second glance.

They should have landed in 1939, 1 January 2011

Yes that's right, they should have landed somewhere in 1939, perhaps not Idlewild Airport (JFK), but somewhere, find a way to steal some gas...A LOT of gas for that jetliner and then take another shot at the time travel with the supernatural jet stream that time jumps them. Why risk being thrown backwards in time again and continue being low on fuel? And worst comes to worst, 1939 is a better alternative to people from 1960 then prehistoric times. It would have been great to have a sequel episode to this in one of the modern Twilight Zone revamps, with Flight 33 being confused as to why Idlewild airport is now called John F. Kennedy airport.

Completely misses what made the 1st movie work, 26 December 2010

The first film Tim Allen did in this series, "The Santa Clause" was not a great movie by any stretch, but it was an entertaining film and one of the more imaginative and clever Christmas movies ever made. That film dealt with what it would be for a regular guy to be Santa Claus. That was a new idea! It was witty enough for adults and cutesy and fun enough for kids. Bam, the perfect mix for a "family" movie. The sequels (well OK I guess SC2 had some moments) have just been a mess. The filmmakers spend far too much time in the ridiculous North Pole, show us all the other mystical figures of legend (Mother Nature, Father Time, the Easter Bunny) and completely forget that Scott Calvin is supposed to be a regular dude that just happens to be Santa Claus. This movie is too stupid for anyone over the age of 11 and at times too filled with adult complexities for children to enjoy. The only parts that evoked a feel of the 1st film were the Canada jokes and Scott going back in time to the events of the first film and returning to Scott Calvin, corporate toy maker again. Otherwise this is a waste. Forget this film and go watch the 1st one.

Some Bad Movies are Very Entertaining..., 19 October 2009

And this is one of them. Yes it is a bad movie. But it is certainly not a terrible film. It's not a good film because it lacks a cohesive plot, the narrative sorta just plods along and we never really learn much about Lyle Swann, the dirt biker part of a motor-cross marathon that accidentally gets sent from 1982 to 1877. We don't learn much more about the characters he interacts with either, and no one seems to change or grow at all by the end of the movie. The film seems to end rather abruptly, and on a somewhat bittersweet note.

The biggest complaint I always see about Timerider is that Lyle Swann is pretty stupid about what happened to him. He doesn't seem to put together that he went back in time till literally the very last scene, even the moments leading up to that last part don't give a hint that Swann had realized he was sent back to the 19th century. Yes this was annoying. Though I do find it believable that most people would not suddenly think "hey I went back in time" simply because they are lost. Swann's interaction with the old man in the desert or the villainous Reese and his crew would probably not be enough for him to make that connection, but I think that by the time Swann had reached the small village something should have sparked in his mind that this was not right. Too many people were reacting with hysteria and fear upon seeing him in his red dirt bike dear and Yamaha bike (or machine as they start calling it). By this point Swann should have seriously wondered about why people continue to assume he is some demon.

I want to echo the sentiments of another poster, some of the stuff I really enjoyed about this movie was the raw unapologetic presentation of 19th century America. For PG standards anyway. There was nothing romantic about THIS Old West. People were dirty, dingy, nasty cruel barbarians with guns. Apart from Claire, who had her hair done up and wore nice make up (this was forgivable since she was hot), everyone else was presented as a grimy, yellow teethed, uneducated lot of folks that likely did inhabit the real 19th century. Most of these people probably never or rarely saw a dentist, and bathing was a luxury. I really liked this, when I saw this movie for the first time as a small child this struck a chord with me, as I don't think I had seen too many films up to that point that presented the old west like that. These issues also illustrated how radically different the culture of the late 20th century was from previous eras. Simple things we take for granted such as good hygiene, were in the 19th century, almost assuredly reserved for the wealthy who had the means for such dalliances. You certainly would not want to live in Timerider's Old West, there is no compulsion to sit and write poetry or muse about the old American frontier, no the director makes you feel just as eager as Swann does to get the hell out of there. If there was a least believable aspect of the film, it's that Lyle gets shot at repeatedly but never once gets hit. Nevertheless, catching this movie on a lazy weekend on a syndicated channel back in the 80s was always a treat and it's still good viewing for any rainy day.

Another movie about the problems young brown skinned Indians have growing up in white America, 4 July 2009

Kermit the Frog once said "it's not easy being green", from the endless growing up Indian movies lately, it's not easy being brown either. There have so many of these "growing up brown in America" movies in the last decade, mostly low budget flicks that don't get a whole lot of press. The premise has nearly been run into the ground, traditional over bearing parents that are always in the wrong, rebellious kids who want to fit and date like everyone else and always in the right. One thing these movies have taught us for certain is this, if you're brown and growing up in America, you have a harder time assimilating into the mass culture then lighter skinned people. We've been told this over and over and it really does get tired. For young Indian Americans these films may perhaps be of deep cultural significance, loaded with in jokes that non-Indians may not get.

For much of white America, they will strip the film down to it's basics and call it a "country mouse meeting city mouse" story and think "meh, what's the big deal?" Probably gutting the Indian Americans who think they struck comic gold showing off the cool Indians vs. the over exaggerated fresh off the boat (FOB) immigrant Indians. This story is going to simply come across as a country kid moving to the big city to mainstream America, only with East Indians in it, and they will likely miss the deep rooted angst and confusion that Indians want to convey. The movie shows the Indian Americans as self assured, cool and all around well adjusted while the immigrated FOB Indians are socially clueless. Nevermind that the character of Hari as presented in this film would probably be considered a moron even in India, the filmmakers know they have to make Hari that silly of an FOB Indian to justify his mistreatment by the Indian Americans. To make more of the desired impact that the Indian American culture so desperately seems to want to make with mainstream film goers, a more concrete and weighted story has to be delivered with far more sincere actors. It would be interesting to hear what real people in India think of this film, as about 1 billion people are being derided and made out as ridiculous caricatures. Of course a braver movie would show regular Indian Americans mistreating and not including normal behaved and decently dressed immigrant Indians in their social activities for the sole reason of their own xenophobia and insecurities...but that would be hitting too close to reality and I doubt any writer/director would be that brave.

Chest hair, phony karate, a 1982 Trans Am...it's gotta be Knight Rider, 23 June 2007

Crooked small town cops, evil business men in three piece suits, roundhouse karate kicks, these are the trademarks of any number of 80's action adventure TV shows. You also know you are dealing with an 80s TV show if there are a lot of stories about revolutionaries in Mexico or some unknown Latin American country, cattle rustlers, or if there are plenty of car chases using cheap looking 1970s styled cars. Nearly every TV show from 1977 to 1986 featured these plot devices. Knight Rider may very well have been the silliest of the bunch.

Before David Hasselhoff became an embarrassing alcoholic, and even before his Baywatch years with Pamela Anderson in the 90s, the man played Michael Knight back in the early-mid 1980s. Teamed up with a talking super car named KITT, the two battled evil forces in California and it's nearby surrounding states. Distinguished actor Edward Mulhare brought some respectability amid all the stupidity. The episodes tended to be consistently formulaic, with next to zero continuity between episodes, characters often said and did things that directly contradicted the previous week's episodes. One episode had Knight's boss Devon tell us that Michael better be careful because he is about to tangle with the man that ordered the hit on Knight when he was previously known as "Michael Long". Yet in the pilot episode of Knight Rider, Michael Long was merely an unlucky police officer who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time out in the desert, thus why he was murdered. There was no "hit" ordered on him. Does anyone remember that episode of Knight Rider where Hasselhoff's character orders a hamburger and then just leaves? Germans love David Hasselhoff, but he was a star for NBC from 1982 to '86.

Was Bill Clinton one of the 9/11 Hijackers?, 11 September 2006

This right wing propaganda movie would have you believe that President Bill Clinton hijacked all 4 planes on 9/11 and flew them into their targets. He somehow magically escaped death of course. This film is being passed off as "fact", despite that it DIRECTLY contradicts many of the findings by the 9/11 Commission. Even the CIA and many involved with the real events dispute what is being presented in this movie. My goodness Harvey Kietel, one of the actors in the movie even tells us that the film has many inaccuracies! But according to Republicans, this is the way it happened. I'm sure Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly have already pre-ordered their DVD copies. Save your time and watch a cheap J-Lo movie.

Was Great until they gave Fonzie Superpowers, 7 August 2004

"Happy Days" was on the air for a ridiculous 10 years, but the first 2 or 3 years were really good. The series was a 50s nostalgia show made in the 1970s. It was about a geeky, apple pie (but tall and atheletic in that good white bred way) high school kid named Richie Cunningham, his best friend Potsie Webber, and their other friend Ralph Malph who always cracked stupid jokes. Then there was the greaser Fonzie who rode around on a bike. The first couple of years took great pains to show the 1950s accurately, with the actors dressing and looking the part. Fonzie was just an ordinary greaser. The show was so good in those first couple of years, that you never questioned why Fonzie who looked about 22, was being a loser and hanging around a bunch of high school kids and hitting on under age high school girls.

But then the last 7 or 8 years of Happy Days became just utter camp. Potsie went from a normal guy to a total idiot, and somehow Fonzie got superpowers where the mere snap of his fingers would cause all sorts of magical things to happen, including women/high school girls flocking towards him like lemmings. The 5'6 Fonzie also could suddenly beat anyone up and not break a sweat. I also hated how the studio audience would cheer for 3 or 4 minutes when an actor would walk on the set. The actors would even have to pause and let the audience cheers and applause die down, "Hey Mr. C, [audience erupts in applause, cheers, and screams].....I just came down to tell you". It was just stupid. This is an overrated TV series, "Three's Company" was the far better 70s show that still holds up today, at least that show never betrayed it's original premise.

"The Kids haven't Changed, YOU HAVE", 27 June 2003

I think this line by John Hughes in The Breakfast Club really hit the nail on generational gaps. Keep in mind it was written back in 1983 or 1984. The principal played Paul Gleason, thinks that his students are the worst kids ever. Carl the wise janitor tells him otherwise.

Principal Vernon: "Carl I've been teaching for 22 years, and each year....these kids get more and more arrogant!"

Carl the Janitor: "Awww bullsh*t man. Come on Vern, the kids haven't changed, you have!!"

Principal Vernon: "These kids turned on me. They think I'm a big f*cking joke"

Carl the Janitor: "Come on. Listen Vern, if you were 16, what would YOU think of YOU!!?????"

EVERYONE take a long pause and think about this scene. Think about the words written by John Hughes around 1983/'84. Kids don't change, WE do. We get older. Kids get older. Kids become adults, adults become anal and uptight about everything. But a new batch of kids come along, and they are still.....well kids.

So all you people ragging on the kids today, oh come on now. Shut up about how awful the kids today are, and how violent and messed up they are. "These kids today, all they do is hang out at the mall, play video games and shoot each other". My god the same thing was said about teenagers back in 1983. So all you former 80's high school grads, and even many 90's high school grads, stop acting like crusty old Principal Vernon. Gen Xers were the whipping boys for the Baby Boomers for years, and now here we are putting down the next crop of kids, the Gen Y and Gen Z. Even most teenagers and pre-teens today buy into the nonsense that they have changed and are so different and original with their bad ass selves. Kids are kids, no matter what era. I mean I was an early-mid 1990's teenager, and even many kids around today think they are so different from when I was a kid some 7-12 years ago.

Do we really want to be Principal Vernon? Kids don't change, we do.

Hulk (2003)
WARNING: Children will be Bored to Death with this Film, 23 June 2003

Whatever you do, don't take children to see this movie. I took a bunch of 4th graders to see Hulk, and halfway through the film, they demanded to leave the theater. They weren't the only kids that couldn't stand this film. I saw many other kid walk outs. Another class of kids was in the theater with us, and they actually left before we did.

So I am just warning everyone here, if you think Hulk is some kind of cartoon kiddie friendly movie, you are sorely wrong. Children will be put to sleep with the Hulk. This movie is VERY SLOW, and extremely dull and meandering. The lumbering pace bored many adults, so I can understand why so many kids hated this movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]