kyle_793

Where's the music?, 26 June 2003

Being a fan of Pixar, I saw Finding Nemo on opening day, surrounded by a host of individuals whose years are mere fractions of my age. Regardless, I was memorized by the film visually, I thought the emotional depth was well beyond what many past animation films have gone for, and I thought that it was one of the most entertaining films of any kind produced in recent years. My only problem? The music. It is not the score was particularly bad. In fact, it was quite engrossing, but what I have come to expect from animation films is a type of sing-along, the modern American musical, and I thought that that was sorely missed. Many will scoff at my request for this type of music in Nemo, believing that it would demeaning for such a good film. But music does not lower the artistic level of such a film, indeed, for a film with this specific audience, songs can be the best way to bring individuals into the story and raise audience involvement. I believe that a more traditonal animation soundtrack would have greatly increased the effectiveness and longevity of Finding Nemo.

Playroom (1989)
why?, 25 February 2002

albeit an interesting start of a story, playhouse is just that, a start. In horror movies, every question you ask must be answered and playhouse just doesn't cut it. On the verge of being a really good horror classic, it faltered. and just because it bothers me! Why does the ten year old "prince of evil" wear modern-day street clothes?! He's supposed to be hundreds of years old! It doesn't make any sense!

asthetically pleasing, 25 February 2002

Eyes Wide Shut is first and foremost a beautifully shot picture. Great care is taken to make every shot pleasing to the eye. The slow following of Tom Cruise throughout the movie (rather than keeping the camera stationary) is a wonderful technique that submerses the viewer into his character. The colors are fantastic. The angles extraordinarily complex and dramatically moving. As for what the movie's about? I don't know, for sure. I think I know, but I don't think anyone knows for sure what this movie means. I don't think even Stanley Kubrick knew when he made it. But regardless, like most of Kubrick's work, this film will persevere through our time, and I imagine one day it will be raised to the height that it deserves, a beautifully complex film for all time.

Visual Aspects, 12 January 2002

IN today's world of computer technology, the 100 million easily built the cities, creatures, and effects in Lord of the Rings. But clearly Lord of the Rings stands out, as a film, against the technology-ridden films we are embarrassed with today. Most films are reliant on their computers, and therefore limited by them. The strength of this film, however, is not found on its dependence on computer technology, but on its independence, leading to its most innovative use. Indeed, Lords of the Rings stands out today was being unique because it relies heavily on the (old) tricks of the trade. Camera angles, miniatures, re-shoots, costume design, make-up, and the latest in computer animation all combined made this film to produce a visually stunning experience. I was awed at the beautiful use of color throughout the movie. For the first half-hour, as we are emerged in to the Shire, the greens and yellows of the hills are shot with amazing clarity and realism. As the story line travels darker, so too does the film. Many scenes that could not be created by hand, contained some of the best use of computer technology to date. The scenes seem so real, the depth-perception so well done that I found myself in many of the shots on top of the high tower feeling like I was going to fall, a feeling I do not feel that often. Indeed, I didn't know I was afraid of heights untill I saw this movie. The vision of this movie is surreal and it is extremely well done. A monumental visual achievement.

Visual Aspects, 12 January 2002

A Striking Experience, 12 January 2002

It is hard to evoke emotion with a film. Very few directors in this day of age can even hint at emotional realism, but The Royal Tenenbaums has done just this. It was a remarkable storyline. Honesty, comedy, and tragedy all captured frame by frame. The characters are so far removed from ourselves, but yet we find some part of ourself in each and every member. The mixure of emotion one gets from watching this movie is unbelievable. In one way envigirated, happy in life, but at the same time insanely depressed. The combination is a sobering experience. Innovation lies at the heart of this movie. Undoubtably, it pushes the boundary of film. Told, as if it was a literary classic, it claims its mark in our film world.

Modern American Film At Its Best, 3 January 2002

Amazing direction (Oliver Stone), amazing acting (Tom Cruise, et al.), and amazing story (Ron Kovic and the United States military during the Viet Nam war). This alone sums up Born On The Fourth Of July, a modern classic. May it always be remembered as a great film. Its stunning look at the Viet Nam War and social and political aftermath through the life of one person, played by Tom Cruise, must go down in cinematic history. May writers, directors, and actors in this country forever have the courage to make films with such passion and such heart. Watch it. Watch it with your children (older ones). Watch it with your parents. Watch it in your classrooms. It will leave your soul searching searching. America is the greatest country on the face of the Earth, and one of the reasons is because we have the ability to revisit, question, and atone our past like this film does.

Who will deny Ron Howard his due?, 3 January 2002

Tom Cruise may have the "worst-looking" Irish accent on the face of the planet, but it is undeniable that he and Nicole Kidman are sizzling on the silver screen together. Their intensity shines as well as their artistic ability to envelop a character and relate their thoughts to a viewer. Besides their very well done performance, the film is absolutely beautiful. Kudos to the set and costume designers that spent long hours on Far and Away. But he real story in this film is Ron Howard. It is simply a asthetic masterpiece. I spent most of my time wishing that he had just set his camera up on the prairie and filmed the grass growing. It was truly beautiful. Incidentally, sometimes one scene just makes a film. Brings it up from a good film into near 'masterpiece' status. This is one of those films. The music (the best soundtrack of the year thanks to Horner) combined with Ron Howard's vision made the "land race" scene of Far and Away and classic within itself. Put this scene up there with the chariot race in Ben Hur and the parting of the Red Sea in The Ten Commmandments, it is just that good. This is, far and away, one of the best films of the year.

john goodman makes this movie, 3 January 2002

John goodman has proven his acting ability with this movie. It should be considered the height of his career. It is extremely doubtful that any actor could have played Huey P. Long with such conviction and believability as John Goodman. Combined with a lovely performance by anne heche, the movie is an acting coup. A must-see for lovers of historical films.

Top Gun (1986)
The Greatest Date Movie Of All Time, 3 January 2002

With something for everyone comes Tom Cruise's hit movie, Top Gun. Guys, grab your favorite girl and rent this movie today. You will love the heart-pounding high action plot of smooth pilots and fast planes. She will love, well, Tom Cruise (and Val Kilmer) and also the steamy love story spliced between action shots. And even if you're a film buff, you cannot change the undeniably American plot of an all-American boy living his father's dream, and the tragic scene's of a great loss (watch the movie!). Containing one of the most quote scenes of all time, re-made in a dozen movies and every bar in every city in the world (at least once!), Top Gun is an ultimate feel-good-about-living-in-America movie. What more could you ask for?