Spaceygirl

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Who knew The Rock could act?, 22 August 2013

: The Rock in a good movie? Who knew it could happen? Well, it just did. Pain and Gain" is one of the funniest movies of the year.

Headlining The Rock, a beefed up Mark Wahlberg and a very, very funny Anthony Mackie and Tony Shalhoub from TV's "Monk" in top form, this is pure entertainment. I said somewhere before that I think Duane Johnson has taken acting lessons from somewhere and it's no more evident than when he's squaring off against Mark Wahlberg in this. Ed Harris also enjoys his role and he's one of the highlights in an already stellar cast.

I admit I was dubious when I saw it was directed by action-helmer Michael Bay but it's thankfully not all shootin' and runnin' and blowin' stuff up. There is actual dialogue from an actual script and this script is absolutely hilarious.

Be warned though, this is humour at it's darkest. Not for children or for the easily offended but if you're looking for a belly-laugh, you really can't go wrong with this one. 8/10

Vintage Le Carre brilliantly told!, 29 May 2013

No-one does a Spy thriller better than the British and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" ranks as one of the best. This is vintage Le Carre (A fantastic novel that I waded through in the late 80's) and its themes of class, corruption, moral uncertainty remain intelligently intact. On the other hand, you may struggle to fathom what the bloody hell's going on. This is a film that assumes it's audience has a brain, in fact it almost insists on it. Concentrate and you will be richly rewarded. The script is flawless, the direction faultless, the cinematography is stunning, evoking a murky 1970's London. The cast is absolutely magnificent. Gary Oldman, John Hurt, Colin Firth, Ciarian Hinds, Mark Strong (playing against type), Toby Jones, the delicious Benedict Cumberbatch, Kathy Burke and the gorgeous Tom Hardy. One of the best movies of the decade. 10/10

The Traveler (2010/I)
Icky nonsense, 12 May 2012

: "The Traveler" is one of those films that starts very well and draws the audience to know more of the story. But as it progresses, about 40 minutes into the movie, the film begs you to be open-minded and to suck in all the stupidity it delivers. delivers. If you hate illogical horror, you better not see this film, especially since it delivers obscure moral lessons. It's also very (very, VERY!!) icky and violent....and the acting is AWFUL! (I told you Val Kilmer was dodgy Bronwyn!) It also suffers horribly from repetition, making it boring...and really Val Kilmer needs to give up acting now because he's embarrassing himself and WASTING OUR MONEY!! 1/10

RED (2010)
A great time had by all!, 18 April 2011

'Red' is great fun. It's one of those movies, like the Oceans trilogy, where the cast has such a great time filming that it translates onto the screen and you can' t help having a good time with them. That's not to say they have a great time without actually working. The acting is outstanding, even Bruce Willis excels in this one. (Mainly because he's bald… I have a theory on this) Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox and Mary Stuart Masterson (who steals all the scenes she's in) are all uniformly excellent (Well, they would be, woudn't they?) and the supporting cast is magnificent, including Rebecca Pigeon, Karl Urban, Julian McMahon, Ernest Borgnine (He must be in his eighties by now, surely?) and an hilarious Richard Drefyss. Really, you can't go wrong with this one. There's a love story for the romantics, lots of action for the boys and funny without veering into silliness

SO not scary, 18 April 2011

Puh-lease. 'Paranormal Activity 2' is pathetic. While the first one, though not exactly a classic, did have some jump-out-of-your-seat moments, the second one is completely devoid of any chills whatsoever. It's silly and clichéd and the acting…oh, my word..they managed to assemble the most talentless bunch of people for this piece of rubbish. It's boring and without action till the last five minutes, which I had to rewind THREE times to work out who and how. Pathetic. The script is silly, having the characters act completely implausibly, ie the parents, knowing their house is full of strange happenings, go out and leave their teenage daughter alone in charge of her baby brother. The teenager, who has already has cleverly (!) worked out her house is haunted, invites her bf over to play with a Ouija board. She also, in her 'research' makes a huge leap from mere haunting to Demon possession in about five minutes. PATHETIC. What a complete waste of celluloid.

Epically entertaining!, 17 April 2011

Alternative, witty and hip, "Scott Pilgrim vs the world" is HUGELY entertaining. I snapped it up after reading the blurb on the front, 'From the makers of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead'. While not quite in the league of the two British comedy classics, Scott Pilgrim has a charm all of it's own. While the too-cool-for school comic effects grate after a while and the Tarantino references become a bit wilted the charm lies in the cast and the acting. Indie darling Michael Cera is a hit in the title role with a fantastic supporting cast including the more talented Culkin sibling Kieran as the gay best-friend. He has some of the best lines in the movie and is absolutely hilarious. The female roles are well fleshed out for this type of movie and the girls kick butt in some of the funniest fight scenes ever. Some well-known faces makes an appearance too, such as Chris Evans (Fantastic Four, Cellular) in a hilarious role as a skate-boarding movie star and Brandon Routh (Superman, Chuck) as a Vegan with super-powers and Clifton Collins jnr (Crank) and Thomas Jane (The Punisher) in one of the films funniest scenes.

"Scott Pilgrim vs the World" is one of my favourite rom-coms ever, right up there with "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"…oddly the leading lady in both of these films have an unusual hair-dye. ;)

Tres Magnifique!, 27 January 2011

One of the most inventive pieces of film-making you'll ever see. Spanning some 120 minutes of celluloid, over 18 directors and goodness knows how many actors, it shows nearly 20 vignettes of Parisian life ranging between three and twenty minutes in length. Starring such luminaries as Steve Buscemi, Bob Hoskins, Rufus Sewell, Emily Mortimer, Marianne Faithful, Elijah Wood, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Natalie Portman and the always luminous Fanny Ardant it is always interesting. The cinematography is stunning, taking in the city of light in all it's glory. Some segments work better than others. Wes Craven directs a sweet little ghost-story with none other than Rufus Sewell and Emily Mortimer, who work well together. A well directed, well acted segment involves immigrants from Lagos, another the always good Fanny Ardant and Bob Hoskins play off each other in La Pigalle, a rather risqué area of Paris. Some don't work nearly as well, Elijah Wood as a vampire in a silent segment is criminally underused while Natalie Portman does her usual over-rated over-acting in a boring little piece that I can thankfully skip next time I watch. My personal favourite (predictably) is the contribution by the Coen brothers, who employ the marvelous Steve Buscemi in 'Tuileries'. Mr Buscemi manages to make one laugh without even saying a word. Brilliant stuff! Some-one give the man an Oscar already!  "Paris J'Taime" is highly recommended for film and Paris buffs alike.

Salt (2010)
Great fun!, 27 December 2010

Regardless of all the negative reviews, I absolutely LOVED this movie! Yes, it's mindless fun but it's a movie for goodness sake! It's supposed to be ENTERTAINING! Angelina excels in her kick-ass role, beating up and killing a ton of people without staining her pristine white shirt. Liev Schrieber, the man with the sexiest voice in Hollywood, is his usual excellent self and one of my favourite men to watch, Chiwetel Egiofor, is also good. The script is bog-standard for this type of fare and won't be winning awards any time soon. Salt is worth watching on a lazy afternoon when you can just check your brain at the door and enjoy it with a good bowl of popcorn. Hugely enjoyable.

Not for the purist, 27 December 2010

Okay, so if you've read the book or if you're a die-hard Oscar Wilde fan, give this a miss. It's NOTHING like the book, well, except for the title and the general plot-line. That's not to say it's not good. It IS. Very. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The cast has a great time with a, well, an adequate script. Colin Firth has great fun with his role as the corrupted Lord, Ben Chaplin is his usual beautiful mournful self as the love-lorn artist and Ben Barnes is simply gorgeous in the title role, not really stretching his acting wings but he puts in a good performance. He is very well cast as the eternally youthful and good-looking Dorian Gray. The female leads suffer, only Rebecca Hall is given decent material to work with and tries ably with her role as the love-interest and Dorian Gray's saviour. The cinematography is stunning, evoking Victorian London beautifully. All in all, Dorian Gray is a beautiful Gothic Horror. Well worth seeing.

Just TERRIBLE!, 27 December 2010

Am I the only person who has seen this turgid mess? Or just the first person brave enough to review it? Oh well, I saw it so you don't have to. Really, you should be thanking me right now. It's the biggest load of tosh I've ever seen. Acting? Forget about it. The rather beautiful Samantha Noble, daughter of John (He of Fringe fame) tries very hard but fails miserably with what little material she's given to work with. The rest of the cast are just awful, for some obscure reason affecting American accents and failing badly. The plot, such as it is, has five (Four? Six? Who cares?) students making a movie on a deserted property. Why has it been deserted? Who deserted it? Do we know? Do we care? It seems the script-writers forgot about a reason for mindless violence...and boy is it violent!! Look, I'm not against gratuitous violence..so long as the rest of the movie makes some kind of sense, or there's some-one with a six-pack to look at but this movie has neither. It's a bad (read: TERRIBLE) rip-off of every schlock-horror you've ever seen. Don't bother. I'm beginning to think the term Ozploitation is code for Crap.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]