Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

why is everyone trashing this movie?, 12 January 2008

I don't know why so many people on here are trashing this film. Is it a classic movie, no. But is it so awful, no. It is a perfectly good, entertaining movie. I think Allyson, the perfect 50's movie wife, is cast well as Kay, who is a perfect wife who gets left. I thought it was a little inside 50s joke, here is the perfect wife being left. Anyway, she is good and yes she was not 20, but it is a wife role and her daughter is about 10. It is not a young woman's part, that is the whole point; the husband leaves her for a younger woman. Ann Miller, Agnes Moorehead, Ann Sheridan, Dolores Gray, Joan Collins are all great. Does Miller sing or dance, no. But maybe someone was thinking she was a good actress and funny with lines and could be in a movie and not tap dance. I am sure she was happy to be cast as an actress for once. She was always a very funny performer. So check the movie out for yourself, it is really pretty good (and nice to see Allyson in some pretty clothes after all those years of white blouses in movies).

good movie, 16 September 2007

I thought this was a very good movie. I always found it amazing that Jennifer Jones was so effective in it as she was hardly a young woman when making this movie. Nevertheless, you hardly notice it and she is really excellent in it. I also thought Gielgeud (I think I am misspelling his name!) and McKenna were also excellent. I love when she is able to tell him after he orders her to get the dog to kill it, "She took Flush with her." It is such a triumph for Barret, for the sister, and of course for Flush too!!! Another reviewer mentioned that they kept thinking of The Heiress in watching this movie. I have thought so too at times. I feel De Haviland would have been great in this role, or actually in a few other of Jones' roles over the years too (Good Morning Miss Dove, Love Letters, and Cluny Brown all come to mind). But Jones was wonderful in each and in this one too. She certainly makes one seek out some of Barret and Browning's poems.

great show, 5 August 2007

This was such a great series in the 50s and 60s and then again in the mid 80s to mid 90s. In particular several actresses really thrived in this series. One in more recent years was Glenn Close in the Sarah Plain and Tall movies, the first two of which were just great. Her current series Damages is excellent, but i prefer Sarah Plain and Tall. Also Greer Garson got to play the Bette Davis role in the Little Foxes and show her less Mrs. Miniver side. She was great. Also she was excellent in Captain Brassbound's Conversion, a great role by a great actress. Both can be seen at the museum of TV and radio in NY. But the one with the longest run in this series was Julie Harris. I have not seen her performance in the Good Fairy, but her performances in The Lark (as Joan of Arc), Pygmalion, Anastasia, Johnny Belinda, Nora in A Doll's House (a performance referred to in Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique) , The Holy Terror (as Florence Nightingale), Victoria Regina as Queen Victoria, and most especially her beautiful work in Little Moon of Alban, are all wonderful performances. No TV actress ever has been able to have an 11 year history of such different, yet all great, roles and performances. We won't see the likes of these again.

great short lived show, 17 March 2007

This was an excellent show. One can see easily how Stanwyck got an Emmy for it. Unfortunately, at the time she finally agreed to do an anthology show, they stopped making them and this one was canceled after a year. I have seen about half of them and they are excellent. The best ones are comedy ones and she reminds us how funny she was. In particular, Confession i think it was called, with Leon Ames and a young Peter Falk, is hilarious. Truly a black comedy episode, very funny. The other episodes are very good too, a little bit of everything, comedies, westerns, romances, court room stuff, adventure (with three with same character of adventurer Josephine Little). And lots of great Stanwyck performances playing strong, neat ladies. It is too bad it was not made a few years earlier and then we could have watched a lot more episodes. She made a lot of this show, by the way, in one season, I think over 35 episodes. That is more than some cable shows air in 3-4 seasons nowadays.

excellent show, 17 March 2007

About a year ago I was able to see a bunch of these and they are quite excellent. June appears in less than half of them, I think there were about 60 and she was in maybe 20 of them. But she is in the hosting part in the beginning, similar to Loretta Young and also Barbara Stanwyck in her short lived show. Anyway, June looks fancy and does a nice introduction in each one. The ones she was in are actually pretty good. The show obviously had a high budget as the acting guests are all big actors and the scripts are pretty good. The ones June acts in are a bit out of the ordinary for her, but still firmly in her image. The comedy ones remind us she was an excellent comic actress, in particular one in which she plays a lady lawyer. She spars quite well in court. The others have big name guests, including a particularly nice one with Ann Blyth in which she is very good and one with Anne Baxter and Dean Stockwell and they were excellent as well. Unfortunately did not get to see the Jane Powell or Irene Dunne episodes and would have liked to. But if you have ever wondered if this show was any good, it is.

great show in reruns, 14 March 2007

This show has been running in reruns on a Christian station for some years now (since maybe 2004) and it really is a good show. Ms. Young was able to really show the real depth of her talent for possibly the first time, in all kinds of roles, which is what she loved about the series, that she could do all kinds of parts, in the abbreviated 30 minute anthology format. There are a few episodes that are extra special, in which she plays a nun (same character in at least 2 shows) and you can really tell she wanted to pay tribute to them. They are both set in a hospital and really have not dated. In another, she is a lady who befriends a little Oriental boy and thinks he has cheated her; when she discovers he has not she feels awful. It is one of her best acting scenes ever. Also another episode in which she loses her husband in the war, falls in love again, and then the husband comes back. It was set in a beach setting and her performance (with her regular co star, John Newland I think his name is) is a great one. Also a performance from I think the early 60s, she is a teacher in love with her principal, and is accused of an affair. She has a lot of facial props to make her look unattractive and this half hour is probably the best acting she ever did. You really see the depth of her talent in this show and the shows are upbeat, realistic, but make you typically feel better or make you think of their topic. She did a great job, as she was not only the principal actor, she also was the principal director. It really was Loretta Young's show.

great, 1 February 2004

This was a wonderful miniseries from 1978. I was a child when I saw it but remember it so well. It was re-run on the network in 1980,but not since then has it been seen to my knowledge. I too wish it was available on video or dvd. The performances were wonderful, especially Susan Dey at her finest as Jo. Also Eve Plumb was a great Beth. Greer Garson was a perfect Aunt March and Dorothy McGuire capped her wonderful career of playing so many mothers by playing one of literatures finest, Marmee of course. All of the other actors were very good as well. This is one of the best versions of Louisa May Alcott's classic novel, and as the other commenters here have noted, it is very accurate to the novel. I still think the Katherine Hepburn version is the best, possibly it feels most genuinely Victorian. The June Allyson version is good too, but mainly the first hour. I think also the Winona Ryder one was also wonderful. But in this one, possibly due to the length, you really felt like the novel was coming to life, if you know what I mean. I hope this comes out on video one of these days. It is a real classic.

Jane's House (1994) (TV)
Beautiful movie about loss and moving on, 26 July 2003

This is a beautiful tv movie back when they regularly made beautiful tv movies. It is about a widower of two children who meets a single business woman and how they get married. What distinguishes this is a loving, realistic look at loss, marriage, and people being able to go on with their lives. The movie is called Jane's House, Jane being the dead wife. She is almost a character in the movie, represented by her beautiful, warm home which becomes a home of conflict as the children do not take well to a new mom. Most of all, the music is great and so is Anne Archer's performance of an interesting, beautiful woman who unexpectedly falls in love and the sacrifices she makes to help her husband move on with living. Over all, extremely well done.

Good Show!, 3 June 2003

This is a good show from the 1950's. It is currently (2003) airing as the Fox Hour of Stars with Robert Wagner as a host. Some of the shows are remakes, such as Laura, Cavalcade, Miracle on 34th St., etc. They are very well done, not as great as the originals perhaps, because they are only about 47 minutes long. But they are well cast with many big name actors (Teresa Wright, Joan Fontaine, Michael Wilding, Merle Oberon, Thelma Ritter, Joanne Woodward, Robert Preston). Some of the stories are also original stories, such as Child of the Regiment, a very good story about racism. These aired in some cinemas in America and England at the time and cast a lot of actors (like Woodward and Wagner) in them who were under contract to 20th Century Fox at the time. They are basically like little movies and it is fun to see different casts get to try the roles. For example, Thomas Mitchell is equally as wonderful as Kris Kringle as Edmund Gwenn was in the film of Miracle on 34th Street. All in all, a very good show and fun to see these actors in different roles that are basically shorter movies.

excellent performances, 29 March 2003

This was part of the A & E series Playwright's Theatre from the early 1990's. Each week was a one act play, this one by Tennessee Williams. The performances in this remake of the movie Baby Doll are all excellent. Ray Sharkey plays the man whom manipulates and seduces Lesley Ann Warren, the wife of the low character played by Peter Boyle. He almost sets it up for the wife to be seduced so he can get a cheaper price for his cotton. Lesley Ann Warren, who at this time was at the peak of her career, gives an outstanding performance as the not very bright woman who is manipulated and essentially raped by the end of the story. She is able to show this "baby doll" woman as a woman used as a plaything and victim and the dangers of accepting this type of thinking, that humans are to be used by other humans, for all people.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]