Reviews written by
Kacey

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

don't have to be a Vin Diesel fan to like this movie, 9 April 2003

My friends wanted to see this movie so badly, but I wasn't really interested. I'm not the biggest Vin Diesel fan, and for some strange reason the commercials didn't really appeal to me. But I went along with them anyway to see this movie. I think this movie is just excellent. It is probably Vin Diesel's best film, but I haven't seen too many of his films so I probably wouldn't know. Anyway, I think Diesel did a great job in the part of Sean Vetter. With this role, you see Diesel sort of more sensitive but at the same time bad boy action star (he kills a man with his bare hands).

The acting is pretty good in this movie too. One person that stood out in my mind was Larenz Tate who played Demetrius Hicks. His acting was top of the line. Timothy Olyphant was also wonderful. When I saw this movie I didn't even know he was going to be in it. I do like Timothy's style of acting. He puts a little humor in his evil character. I remember he played a drug dealer in the movie Go (one of my favorite movies), and in this movie he did just the same. Overall, if you like a movie that is jam packed with action but also has some sensitivity, this is the movie for you. Seriously, you don't have to be a Vin fan to enjoy this film. I think this should have been number 1 at the box office this weekend because I saw Phone Booth, and it is really not worthy of that spot. So go out and see A Man Apart.

*** of ****

Not all it's hyped up to be, 9 April 2003

This movie is a Joel Schumacher film. Maybe that is why the movie got hyped up as good as it did. And maybe that's why all the actors signed on to do this film. But seriously, it wasn't that great of a movie at all. The acting was pretty good, but the only person we really saw a lot of was Colin Farrell. Sure, he can be considered a good looking guy, and maybe that's why this movie sold a lot of tickets. But then again a lot of teen girls couldn't get into this movie because it was rated R. Maybe that's why What A Girl Wants was number 2 at the box office. Buy a ticket for that, sneak into Phone Booth. Nah, who would think like that? Anyway, Farrell did do an excellent job in his role of the sly Stu Sheppard. I bet it was hard for him to come to work every day and have to work from that phone booth. All of the movie basically took place in that phone booth. I was kind of amazed that they didn't have more leading up to the phone booth. It was Stu walking with the young man who looked up to him, and then Stu in the phone booth. That's about it. If you go into this movie thinking you are going to see a lot of Katie Holmes or Kiefer Sutherland or Forest Whitaker, you are wrong my friend. They are not really shown too much in the movie. I mean it's basically Stu and "the voice" that are our main focuses. So anyway, good acting on everyone's part, but I didn't like the way this movie was written at all. Everyone was telling me how great this film was, and I only found it to be okay. There were points when it just seemed like the voice was feeding Stu a lot of nonsense just to keep the movie going. And there were points when I just wanted it to hurry up. In the end, the movie wasn't even that long to begin with. We went in at 7:40 and ended up getting out of there at around 9:15. I suggest you see this movie if you are in for a good thrill. And if you want to see some of your favorite actors all in the same movie. This is an okay movie, but I won't see it again until it comes onto DVD.

** of ****

All good things must come to an end, 9 April 2003

This show came out in 1999. I don't remember too much about it, although I do know I enjoyed it a lot. The reason I started watching it was because Kevin Williamson was part of the writing credits. He wrote for my favorite television show Dawson's Creek, so I thought this would be another good show to watch. I was correct in believing this. The cast was remarkable. Marisa Coughlan acts superbly as Dawnie. Marisa was well known for her teen roles, but doing this show about twentysomethings was wonderful for her. It really helped to jump start her career into more mature roles (yeah right, look at the stuff she did after this show... Freddy Got Fingered and Super Troopers). Sasha Alexander as Jesse was another good choice. I saw Sasha in Dawson's Creek as Pacey's brother/Dawson's love interest, and she was great in acting in that too. Just a great up-and-comer. Brad Rowe reminded me a lot of Brad Pitt at the time, and this may be one reason I stuck to watching this show. He was just amazing, and I wanted to see him as much as possible. Sadly this show got canceled. It wasn't even on very long. It was shocking because this show had a great storyline. And it just amazes me that Dawson's Creek has been on for so long, yet this series wasn't even on for too long. Sad how so many good shows get cancelled so quickly.

*** of ****

Good For a Few Laughs, Bad for everyone, 9 April 2003

Like to laugh? Well this may or may not be the movie for you. If you like to laugh at raunchy over the top skits then this is the movie for you. Yet some parts can offend people to the biggest degree. I guess it just depends on who you are. Teens who are big fans of Tom Green will enjoy this movie, but I doubt anyone else will. Now none of the acting is good in this movie. Seriously, all of the acting is horrid. I think the only person with a shred of all right acting in this movie is Eddie Kaye Thomas who plays Freddy. Tom Green isn't even really acting. This insaneness he presents is how he acts all the time. And Rip Torn who plays Jim the dad just got on my last nerve. And I did like Marisa Coughlan until this movie. She really did pick the wrong role. Maybe she thought this would make her a bigger actress because she was alongside names like Tom Green and Rip Torn. Sorry sweetie, it did nothing to help your acting. It only hurt it. I did like how Drew Barrymore was in this film. She did an excellent job being comedic without being overly raunchy. Very nice indeed. But she always does a good job at that. It always amazed me how she was married to Tom Green, and it amazed me more that he divorced her. Weird but true. Anyway, good cameo by Ms. Barrymore. Overall, this movie stunk. I guess if you are high or drunk you might like this movie, or if you are a teenager. Or maybe all of the above. I did enjoy laughing, and this movie made me laugh. It made me laugh not because of the jokes but because of how dumb of a movie it was.

1/2 a star of ****

Expected Better, But Reese Made It Okay, 10 February 2003

I had heard mixed reviews about this movie, but I never saw it. Then finally I got the DVD for my birthday. We popped it in and watched the movie all the way. Let's see, it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. In fact, I was kind of disappointed in it. Now, Reese Witherspoon did a great job as Melanie. I don't think I would have liked the character of Melanie if someone else had played her. But Reese made the character enjoyable. I also enjoyed seeing Josh Lucas in this movie as one of Melanie's love interests. He's got this southern charm thing working wonders for him, much like Matthew McConaughey does. Very nice. I liked the ending just because it kind of shocked me. Sure, this movie is like most romantic comedies. But the ending was pretty good. We watched the alternate ending on the DVD, and we are glad they decided to go with the ending they went with. That other ending was funny to me, but my mom and sister both disliked it. That's okay, the real ending worked. So I think you should check this movie out, but I really think big Reese Witherspoon fans will like this movie the most.

** 1/2 of ****

Not Another Teen Movie --- or is it?, 10 February 2003

This movie is another teen movie. I love teen movies, but they all seem to be the same. This is no exception. A lot of the storylines are predictable, but just watching it unfold on screen makes up for this. The main characters seem to be everyone's focus, but I think the supporting cast was very good as well. Ali Later, Susan May Pratt, and Mark Webber are all cast well for their roles. Adrien Grenier plays Chase Hammond. He's shown as the smart guy who is really a cutie even without the makeover. Nicole Maris, his next door neighbor and one of the most popular girls in school, is played by Melissa Joan Heart. I am not that big of a fan of Melissa, although I did like her early days on Clarissa Explains It All. In this movie, Melissa's acting is just a good as it is on Sabrina The Teenage Witch, which isn't that great, but does get the job done and in a good way. All through the movie kids, teens, and adults alike ask themselves "Will Chase and Nicole go to the dance together"? I guess you'll never know unless you watch the movie, or I guess you know even if you haven't seen it. Oh, but if you haven't seen it you missed an awesome soundtrack with songs like Crazy by Britney Spears (okay can you tell I was using sarcasm?).

The One (2003) (TV)
The One To Watch!, 10 February 2003

Sure, this movie is predictable. Sure, this movie is like many romance comedies. But it's a TV movie on ABC Family, so what did you expect? I liked this movie overall. It wasn't too cheesy, just a little. Richard Ruccolo (Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place) plays the character Michael Blake. Michael's the type of guy all girls want to fall in love with. He's a romantic, he's a chef, he knows the right things to say, and he's funny. And the woman he ends up falling for, Gail (Meredith Monroe of Dawson's Creek fame), is a perfect catch for him. They both enjoy the same things and enjoy each other's company. One problem - Gail is engaged to a star hockey player (Gabriel Hogan). He may not have the same interests as Gail, but she is engaged to him, and she loves him. But will Gail ever see that Michael's "The One" for her, just as she is "The One" for him? Only time will tell. The audience at home just wants Gail to see that Michael's the one she should be with, although her husband to be Gordie is a nice guy too. Michael just seems to fit Gail better. This movie is 2 hours worth of greatness. I suggest it to anyone who loves romantic comedies. I'm sure they will play this movie out on ABC Family, with Valentine's Day being so close. Exactly why did I watch this movie though? Well not only am I a big fan of romantic comedies, but I just think Meredith Monroe is so talented and have been a big fan of hers for a long time. Plus Richard Ruccolo is just a great guy.

Joe Dirt (2001)
Not Good --- just dirt, 10 February 2003

This movie was hard to watch. I saw it in the movie theaters. Then a few days ago I saw it again. Yes, it still stunk. First off, David Spade needs to find something to bring his star status back up, and fast. This movie does nothing for him, except maybe make him the laughing stock of the movie world. Sure, the storyline is workable, maybe with a different cast and less mullets. And maybe with a lot less Kid Rock. The guy couldn't act worth anything. I think he should stick to singing. Yes, stick to singing. Dennis Miller also does nothing for me. I don't like him as an actor, so I held a grudge when I watched this movie. But who knows, this might be the perfect cast for you. But for me this movie was a bomb. I won't be watching it again.

Grade: D

Two Guys, a Girl, and one heck of a show, 10 February 2003

I love sitcoms. But I was skeptical about this one because of the odd title. You see long goofy titles in a lot of the worst shows, but this is an exception. I just loved Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. The storylines were some of the best I have seen in sitcoms in a while. Ryan Reynolds shines as the doofy but adorable Berg. He's just so comedic in a good way. Plus he will make most girls smile when they see him. Same goes for Richard Ruccolo who plays Pete. Pete is a romantic with an edgy side. He's funny too. And charming. And just a great catch. Traylor Howard is Sharon, the girl of the title. She is just a perfect lead for this show. She's spunky, zany, and cute. What a perfect female lead. Most of the characters on this show are enjoyable, and the plots are always A+.

Darling Teen Movie, Setting The Standards for the Rest, 10 February 2003

This teen movie was one of the teen movies of the late 90s that seemed to set the standard for the rest. Teen movies after this seemed to echo this movie. With movies like She's All That and Ten Things I Hate About You coming out around the same time as this movie, this movie was a breath of fresh air. Sure, the point of this movie is for a guy to try to hook up with a girl. This occurs in many teen movies. But I liked how in this movie the guy was sort of the underdog, and he was chasing after the pretty popular girl. In many teen movies you find a bad boy trying to change a girl into something she's not so that she becomes popular and liked by many. Ethan Embry plays a great Preston Meyers. He makes him down to earth but with a dorky edge. Preston is the type of guy you'd love to hang out with. He's not the most popular guy in the world, but he would be a great friend. Jennifer Love Hewitt (in the teen movie world I like to call her Teen Movie Princess Love) plays Amanda Beckett. Amanda is the type of girl you don't want to like, but in the end you know you just have to like her. She's popular and pretty and kind of ditzy, but she makes up for it in the long run. The rest of the cast is great too. We see a white homeboy Kenny Fisher (Seth Green), a friendly girl with not too many friends named Denise (Lauren Ambrose), a nerd who turns out to be one cool guy (Charlie Korsimo). Also, check out main roles by Peter Facinelli, Erik Palladino, and more. Plus smaller roles by later made even more famous people like Jamie Prestley, Melissa Joan Heart, Sean Patrick Thomas, Donald Faison, Selma Blair, Sara Rue, Jenna Elfman, Breckin Meyer, Liv Tyler, Jerry O'Connell, and more. Oh yes, and it has a kick butt soundtrack.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]