LeRoyMarko

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

So much fun!, 16 June 2007

Beware of spoilers even though it's hard to spoil this one. This is funny stuff. I mean, take a bunch of regular Joes and have them walk naked on a quiet suburban street. Other men are tempted to follow them, to get into the sect if I can say. Women are trying to save their men from the insanity. Children are horrified and the ice-cream guy doesn't know how to resist. Very funny short film that's having a second life on the internet. A very catchy song makes you want to see it once in a while. Great sense of humour by the British once again.

Seen at home, on the Internet, on June 16th, 2007. I saw it for the first time at a friend's house in Sudbury a few years ago. Lots of laughs.

Armenia (2006)
"Le Voyage en Arménie" is exactly that and not much more, 2 April 2007

I didn't know much about Armenia and was very interested to learn more. And the movie works on that front. It could almost be used as promotional material by the country's tourist bureau. But beside the fact that we get to know more about this small country, there's not really any point to see this film. Yes, it talks about the relationship between father and daughter and also about the feelings of those who live in exile, but everything stays on the surface. And, you know, there's just some little things that bug me: the daughter that picks up the language a little bit too fast or the father who seems to be known by everybody even though he hasn't set foot in the country for decades. Just small details that plays in the balance when it's time to rate a movie.

Seen in Toronto, at the Royal, on April 1st, 2007. Shown during Cinéfranco.

72/100 (**)

Not as bad as people would make you believe, 1 April 2007

"Selon Charlie" is not a great movie. But it's still enjoyable. That's because the cast is doing a good job. Jean-Pierre Bacri is excellent. I also liked the two Benoîts: Magimel and Pœlvoorde. But the plot is too complicated and the director doesn't spend enough time working on character development. The movie stays on the surface. A lot more could have been done at the editing stage to skim the movie of the extra fat that makes it only an average flick.

Seen in Toronto, at the Royal, on March 31st, 2007. The film was shown during Cinéfranco.

76/100 (**½)

18 short films about the City of Lights, 1 April 2007

Delightful film directed by some of the best directors in the industry today. The film is also casting some of the great actors of our time, not just from France but from everywhere.

My favorite segments:

14th arrondissement: Carol (Margo Martindale), from Denver, comes to Paris to learn French and also to make a sense of her life.

Montmartre: there was probably not a better way to start this movie than with this segment on romantic Paris.

Loin du 16ème: an image of Paris that we are better aware of since the riots in the Cités. Ana (Catalina Sandino Moreno) spends more time taking care of somebody else's kid (she's a nanny) than of her own.

Quartier Latin: so much fun to see Gérard Depardieu as the "tenancier de bar" with Gena Rowlands and Ben Gazzara discussing their divorce.

Tour Eiffel: don't tell me you didn't like those mimes!

Tuileries: such a treat to see Steve Buscemi as the tourist who's making high-contact (a no- no) with a girl in the Metro.

Parc Monceau: Nick Nolte is great. Ludivine Sagnier also.

I've spend 3 days in Paris in 2004 and this movie makes me want to go back!

Seen in Barcelona (another great city), at the Verdi, on March 18th, 2007.

84/100 (***)

Fantasy meets reality, 1 April 2007

Something's missing (maybe consistency) from this movie, but it's still enjoyable. The actors are doing a great job, especially Gael García Bernal. I like his dead-pan humor and I think he's one of the most promising actor of his generation. Charlotte Gainsbourg is also good. I find her lovable with her shyness that's not really one. More character development would have been nice though.

The movie is about Stéphane's hallucinations. This guy lives in a funny world where a whole new sphere of possibilities opens up. But when the new neighbor settles in, he has to face reality or bring her into his fantasy world. The film is also about relationships: how they come together and how fast they can dissolve or take a new shape. Being a low-budget film, the special effects are very basic (some would say non-existent) but that's actually a good thing. I liked Stéphane's idea for a calendar about 12 great tragedies!

Seen in Barcelona, at the Verdi, on March 17th, 2007.

73/100 (**½)

Whitaker makes the movie, 4 March 2007

May contain spoilers.

I'm going to side with the Academy on this one: Forest Whitaker is brilliant as Idi Amin. In fact, this movie works because of Forest Whitaker. Without him, it would probably be just an average film.

It's the story of a young doctor from Scotland who ends up in Uganda just when Amin is conducting his coup. Soon enough, Dr Garrigan is working for the dictator, as his personal doctor and then closest adviser. The young guy is blind-sided by power. At a certain point, you ask yourself who's more crazy: the doctor or the dictator? While Whitaker is great, McAvoy offers an average, sometimes weak, performance.

The movie is a must just because it shows what kind of a man was Amin and how he made his people suffer. On the downside, the film stays on the surface and offers us no real explanation on how Amin got to lead his country. This fact is not saved by a few footnotes at the end of the movie. Finally, one could say the movie is more about Dr Garrigan's life than Idi Amin's one and the tragedy of the Ugandan people.

Seen in Toronto, at the Fox, on March 3rd, 2007.

81/100 (***)

Engrossing movie, 15 February 2007

I waited and waited to see this movie, not expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a cinematic feast for the eyes. The camera movements, the picturesque setting, the dark underworld... Guillermo del Toro goes from reality to fantasy. When we are in one world, we can't wait to go back into the other to see what's going to happen next. The acting is superb. Especially from young Ivana Baquero, as Ofelia, and from Sergi Lopez, as Captain Vidal. The story is engaging, rich and imaginative. Fantastic it may be, but it's definitely not a movie to be seen by young children. Seen in Toronto, at the Market Square Cinemas, on February 11th, 2007.

87/100 (***½)

Just don't call it the best comedy of all-time, 27 January 2007

Borat is funny. But to say it's one of the best comedy of our time or even of the last few years is just over the top. And I just don't buy the argument that this is a great movie because of the social commentary it makes. Please! We learn nothing that we didn't already know about the extent of the bigotry of some or the stupidity of others. But again, Borat is funny. Put your brain in neutral and just enjoy. Don't get influence by the fact that you could be the victim of the guy's antics. The movie is slightly above average, but you've got to be in the mood to see it.

Seen in Toronto, at the Fox Cinema, on January 20th, 2007.

78/100 (**½)

That's enough! No more PA for me., 27 January 2007

The first "Police Academy" movie was good. The second one was interesting. The third and fourth were forgettable. But this one is abysmal. Note to the producers: this is suppose to be funny. There's a few scenes that merit a smile, but the movie is generally boring. Great to see Harris and Lessard, but I miss Mahoney and Sweetchuck. Thank God it's got a short running time. And thank God I got it for free at my local library. This is it for me folks, I'll stop at the 5th installment of the series and leave the rest to those who want to waste their time. Seen at home, in Toronto, on January 21st, 2007.

54/100 (BOMB)

You want action, you got it!, 27 January 2007

As soon as the nicely done opening credits are over with, the action starts. And what a great action sequence! My favorites scenes: the airport one and the poisoning sequence at the Casino. From one end of the world to the other, James Bond is back and he's showing no pity for the enemy. Daniel Craig does an excellent James Bond. He's got the charm, the look, the wit and the athletic "prouesse" that goes with the character. I like the fact that he shows a bit more vulnerability than in other Bond movies. And I really liked the "Le Chiffre" character as the villain. I must confess that the last Bond movie I saw before this one was "Octopussy". But "Casino Royale" makes me want to see the ones I missed. Seen in Toronto, at the Fox Cinema, on January 26th, 2007.

83/100 (***)