bauman

Why isn't this film more popular?, 20 September 2001

You don't need to be from the maritimes or even Canada to enjoy this film. Superb casting and acting make the colourful characters stand out against the bleak maritime setting. Everything worked for me in this movie. My wife, who hates most movies, loved this one as well. A must see for all.

Good acting, great cinematography but the story lacked, 14 November 2000

Possible spoiler at the tail end of my comments.

Did you ever see that episode of Frasier where he lies to his date and it goes from bad to worse and then he really starts lying to save the situation but it only makes it worse then ....

I hate stories that rely on this tactic to explain behaviour, build suspense or otherwise tell a story. This movie heavily uses the spiraling lie tactic. The movie is very slow to start, has fabulous scenery, good acting and great cinematography. The spiraling lies and an improbable story full of holes left me very disappointed.

I did love the ending. On the stern of the ship after Tom has kissed Meredith (Cate Blanchett), who does she look at and smile to just before the scene ends? That and the closet lurker really left me thinking about the possibilities.