faust-29

It wouldn't have made sense to make the exact same style movie again., 29 October 2000

I went into "Book of Shadows" expecting the worst, and that might be the reason I liked it. The hook of the first film was in its ambiguity and its divergence from the mainstream horror genre, hence it would've taken some seriously original writing to recreate such a film again in sequel form. "Book of Shadows" certainly didn't follow the same suspense strategy but it did present some original ideas as to how the sequel should be made. The movie is certainly less suspenseful but offers a little more gore and shock value coppled with a lot of really good heavy metal music. I liked the movie and it actually reminded me more of the "Tales from the Crypt" shows than the "The Blair Witch Project". The characters are fun to watch and Kim Director plays a very interesting goth chic...which I liked. Furthermore, the plot itself, although thin, provides many twisted and spooky scenes that make a horror film that is easy to enjoy but still leave you asking questions at the end of the movie. If you really didn't enjoy the first movie, don't bother with the second. However, if you're a fan of the genre check it out a few times.