Reviews written by
fabledmabel

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not Wharton's Best, 29 October 2013

As another reviewer wrote - this story is gripping 90% of the way through, and then "falls flat"; it's funny because as I started to watch it and realized it was an adaptation of Edith Wharton's short story "Pomegranate Seed", I said to myself, "Oh NO"! I felt so deflated at the end of that story that I was actually peeved. But then, there are SEVERAL of Wharton's stories that end like that - as if she just stopped writing before the piece was finished. This particular story is only good for those imaginative people who like to lay in bed at night thinking up decent endings for things. Otherwise, the viewer (or reader) will be disappointed.

Agree With Appraisal of Worst, 21 September 2013

Totally agree with poster, pjhawken, in that this is the very worst of the Midsomer Murders series. Although I usually soak up episodes time after time after time, it took me four different attempts to get more than 30 minutes through this one.

It starts out with a 'Wild West Show', but one of the immediate problems was the cinematography - they shot on cloudy days and the scenery was garish and unsettling. Also, right from the off it's difficult to discern the "importance" of the plot, and just who, exactly, everyone is. The characters are very difficult to associate with and utterly unappealing.

If you're a hard-core Midsomer fan, this one will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Superficial Talent, 26 April 2013

I have always thought that Joan Collins had EXTREMELY limited talent and don't quite understand how she even broke in to acting. She has no stretch whatsoever and plays the same character over and over.

I suppose it was because she was pretty that she got into the big time, but this episode of "Unexpected" (as does the one with Pauline Collins that I can't remember the name of) just demonstrates how talentless she is.

I love my IMDb friends and don't want to offend anyone here, but I seriously believe that Joan Collins can't act her way out of a paper bag.

An Underrated Movie, 3 November 2008

I agree with most of the previous posters that this is one of Lon Chaney's better films. Although I've always been a Chaney fan, many of his pictures are simply repeats of the same plot (although I never tire of watching them), or have Chaney almost too caricature-ish. This movie reminds me of "Tell It to the Marines," which is another great piece due to the fact that Chaney plays a regular, down-to-Earth character in a subtle manner that really showcases his talent. When it comes right down to it, I like Chaney better in his lesser-known roles than in his classics.

I also agree that Doris Lloyd should have had a bigger part, as she could act circles around many of the so-called Silent "greats," and proved it by acting in well-known roles until she died.

Woman Undone (1996) (TV)
Bad Acting from Usually Good Actors, 1 May 2008

I got bored with this movie about ten minutes into it, but suffered through until the end because had absolutely nothing else to do at the time.

To those who think this is Randy Quaid's "early" work: Randy has been around since the early 70's (who HASN'T seen "The Last Picture Show"?!?) and this actually is some of his later stuff. Also, he usually does NOT do comedy, save for the "Vacation" series.

The emotional vacancy of the acting is what destroys the movie; also, the scenes overall were just flat and lifeless. None of the characters appealed to the viewer at all, except maybe for the sheriff who really seemed to care about Teri's case.

If you haven't seen it, don't waste your time.

Different, Simple, a Pleasure to Watch, 23 April 2008

Although "Dead Man's Gun" doesn't have the most brilliant writing, or big-name actors in most of the episodes (except for the main character), I somehow still really like this show. The outside scenes were done in British Columbia, but fit well as different locals in the Old West. It's just a simple show that doesn't need special effects, actresses with fake teeth and other fake parts (JoBeth Williams was in one of the episodes), and expletive language/distracting sex scenes. It's low-key and genuine. Each episode has a twist, and the gun-ownership always has a moral - a lesson is learned.

I like to watch the show on a Friday night, maybe with beer and tacos, and just enjoy its straightforward nature and authentic-looking sets and costumes. One of my favorite episodes stars Stephen Lang (Ike Clanton in "Tombstone") as a gambler who learns the lesson of the Dead Man's Gun before it's too late.

Michael (1924)
Good Movie Disagree on Other's View, 21 April 2008

People in the modern era always seem to want to interpret older movies as having an entirely homosexual undertone, whether they do or they don't. It's clear that Zoret was definitely in love with Michael, but that Michael was heterosexual.

In the beginning, when Adelsskjold remarks that Michael has a "monopoly" on modeling for Zoret, Michael is obviously shaken, even angry/horrified. There are also two references to Michael in that first scene as Zoret's "adopted son." Michael doesn't even live with Zoret. Also, in the second scene, Michael is reported as having an obsession with a ballerina at the theater, and then falls head over heels for the "Princess." Michael was not a young hustler in this movie, but a penniless man who was taken in by a successful and older mentor whom he viewed more as a father, not a lover.

Dead Birds (2004)
WAY Too Slow-Moving, 14 April 2008

It just seemed like a lot of wasted space between the "horror" scenes, which made it more boring than it needed to be because the acting was fairly good (except for Nicki Aycox, who can't act in ANYTHING). Michael Shannon was especially good, and maybe the best thing in the movie.

In addition to the slow-moving storyline, the lighting wasn't done right and the viewer couldn't see a lot of the props or the background, and the house just didn't seem as creepy as it could have been.

It was a really good premise but I just kept twiddling my thumbs waiting for an exciting scene, of which there were way too few.

Halloween (2007)
Missed the Point, 1 September 2007

I agree with many of the previous posters that Rob Zombie totally missed the point; Michael Myers was not supposed to have REASONS to kill - he was supposed to be pure evil in corporeal form. Donald Pleasance as Dr. Loomis in the original made that totally clear ("He had the blackest eyes, the Devil's eyes..."). I mean, if we want just another story about a "tortured childhoods," we'll look at the serial killers, sexual psychopaths, and child molesters of today, in everyday life.

Halloween, as it was originally written, is a "horror" story, whereby you have people going on murderous rampages for no identifiable reason; the point is that it's scary to think that evil can inhabit ANYBODY and may even be living right next door to you: we didn't need to have the Freudian thing foisted on us and, if we would have wanted that, we could watch American Justice or Forensic Files.

In addition, how does Rob Zombie think that anyone will ever take his movies seriously if he continues to star his utterly-untalented wife in them? They need to stop embarrassing themselves and just give in to the fact that she got the meal ticket she was looking for, and leave it at that. An actress she ain't....

"Bonanza" (1959)
Good Show, but typical of fan catering, 3 September 2005

Bonanza ran for so many years that it's impossible for someone like myself to say anything negative about the show and have credibility, but I'm going to. So many shows start off with an "ensemble" cast and then, because of fan mail to one or two certain actors on the show (usually the younger ones), turn the show around to showcase only those actors.

This happened with Bonanza. Pernell Roberts was the best actor on the series, and Adam Cartwright lent a sense of rationality and calm to the frenetics of Ben, Hoss, and Little Joe. He was so subtle, yet stole each and every scene he was in. He was like cool water to a fever. However, and as always happens with fan mail because only a small demographic segment write it in the first place (primarily young, single women), the character of "Adam" appeared less and less as the series wore on. Bonanza became "The Little Joe Show," and that's when I stopped watching it. At that point, the only "breath of fresh air" on the show was Hop Sing.

Anyway, Bonanza is a classic and is worth watching when Pernell Roberts was still in the show, or if only to see the myriad of great guest stars in each episode.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]