cubiegirl

The best!, 2 June 2002

I picked this movie up at my local video store this past weekend, as I planned a "movie night" for myself. Quickly into the movie, I found out why many consider this film as the best of all time. Every performance was gripping, every scene, every character. Even the time frame (late 1940s) was perfect. After the movie's final scene, I wanted to rush back to the video store and rent Parts 2 and 3. Truly a GREAT piece of cinema!

This blows. . ., 13 May 2002

This show is old, tired and it BLOWS!! The original cast, with such brilliant comedics such as Gilda, Curtin, Belushi, Akyrod was funny as hell. So was the late 80s and early 90's cast with Meyers, Carvey, Hartman. I bust out laughing anytime I see an episode on Comedy Central or pop in one of my SNL tapes. Now, well, it just bites. Not funny, lame jokes, lame skits, lame hosts, lame cast, lame musical guests. If you want funny, watch MadTV. Now there's a funny show. . .

"Roots" (1977)
Amazing, 25 January 2002

I recently viewed all of this Mini series on the Hallmark Channel, and let me say, it was amazing! I was born 3 years after Roots was on television and never had the chance to see it growing up. I knew that Hallmark was showing it, so I made plans to see all 6 parts this week. It made me angry, it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me happy, it made me open my eyes. The range of emotions ran the table this week. Now I know why it got all the acclaim that it rightly deserves.

61* (2001) (TV)
Excellent, 30 April 2001

After much hoopla (from the "Making of 61*", to the promo on HBO to the ad in Baseball Weekly), I sat down and watched this movie. Once it was over, one word came to my mind: Excellent! Crystal did a great job on this movie. Everything is accurate, from the Maris family going to St. Louis in 98 to Roger losing his hair to the lifestyle of Mickey. Barry Pepper did a marvelous job playing Roger Maris, the farm boy from North Dakota pushed into the spotlight. His portrayal was superb. Thomas Jane played Mickey Mantle to a T. From his drinking to his fraternization with women, Jane played Mickey with a lot of heart. My favorite scene in the movie is when Maris and Mantle get into a fight in their apartment about Mantle not taking care of himself. It was almost like it was actually Mickey and Roger and not Jane and Pepper. Outstanding acting by both men in that scene.

"61*" is an outstanding work of art. Only Crystal could do this movie. A 10 out of 10!

UHF (1989)
A laugh a minute. . no, wait a laugh a SECOND!!!!!!, 25 March 2001

I love this film. It's so funny. I've been a fan of Weird Al for a while and have seen this movie a thousand times. I absolutely love the "Wheel of Fish" part. "Ahhhhhhh, Red Snapper, veeeeeeeeery tastyyyyyy." My friends and I laugh so hard during that part, heck, during the whole movie! From "Town Talk" to "Conan the Librarian" to "Spatula City", we bust out in laughter. The one complaint that I have is that it's been out of print so long! If you are in the mood for a silly movie, try to find this one at the video store. You'll be laughing til you cry!

"Baseball" (1994)
Wonderful!, 8 January 2001

Being a life-long baseball fanatic (Personally a Cubs fan) and a baseball history buff, this is simply a WONDERFUL documentary. Ken Burns did an excellent job on covering every single era in baseball, from the beginnings to modern-day. My favourite era of baseball was the 1940s to the 1960s and I thoroughly enjoyed that part. I recently found the complete set at a local video/music store and bought it. I pop one in every week to get me through the long winter. Every baseball fan should see this! You will not be disappointed!

A 10 out of 10!

Tremendous!, 5 January 2001

Spielberg does it again! I have always been a fan of his, but this is his best film. From the first scene to the last, it kept me spellbound. I could hardly believe the time (almost 3 hours) went by so fast. The cast is superb, especially Hanks' and Sizemore's roles. I HIGHLY recommend you see this film, but I must warn you, the combat scenes are not for the squeamish.

A 10 out of 10!

I was wrong, 3 November 2000

I was wrong about this film. I didn't want to see it, until my sister asked me to go with her. I went in to the film with doubts, but every moment kept me spellbound. Haley Joel Osment is wonderful and Bruce Willis gives his best performance. I am glad I was wrong. Supurb acting, a great plot and an awesome attention to detail

Wonderful film, 22 October 2000

I have seen this movie countless times and it sill makes me cry every time Ray says "Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?" Other than that moment, it's a wonderful film with a great cast. Costner did his best work, IMO, with this film. Madigan is great as Anni, James Earl Jones pulls off the role of Terence Mann to perfection. Liotta is wonderful as Shoeless Joe and Lancaster gives one of his best performances as Moonlight Graham.

I highly, highly, highly recommend you go out and BUY this movie. It's great to see it on Cable once in a while, but it's even better when you can see it on an everyday basis in the comfort of your own home

Even better than the first one, 22 October 2000

The first Austin Powers was funny, but the second installment is even better! Myers shows just how versatile he is with the roles of Austin, Fat Bastard, and, perhaps the funniest character in the movie, Dr. Evil. This movie is a riot because Myers has a great sense of humor, but some of the scenes are a little below the belt (ie Felicity's sex scene with Fat Bastard). All in all, this is one of the funniest movies I've seen. From 1-10, I'd give it an 8.