MovieCriticMarvelfan

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Laugh out Loud funny, 23 May 2012

(Spoilers) Warning!!! Warning!!! Before you see this movie consult your doctor because you might have a heart attack, no not from fright but from laughing so hard!!!

OK, it was pretty bad. I went in actually KNOWING it would be bad. I love bad movies, and this looked pretty bad. Jesus "Chernobyl Diaries" just try saying the title to a friend with a straight face without laughing. Then when I heard it was from the producers of "Paranormal Activity" my expectations were verified I knew what I was in for: lots of jump scares (which of course are not even remotely scary since you can point them out a mile away and on cue) lots of dumb dialogue (this movie had a few including the "honey we need to go he's got the gun", and "if you're hungry we got beef jerky" lines), and characters doing the dumbest things ever while in immediate danger "oh one of friends is probably dead but let's keep looking for him". Lmao

Plot: Two brothers are about to journey into Moscow to take their girls, but one suggests taking them to Chernobyl. There is a very brief argument, but naive girlfriends decide to go (otherwise there be no movie). They meet their tour guide, Yuri, an ex-special forces who promises he knows what he's doing, and they are completely safety in his hands. Haha (yeah right) When they arrive at Pripyat and finish their weird sight seeing mission, they realized that the parts of Yuri's car have been stolen, and they are stuck in Pripyat. As darkness comes one by one they will struggle to survive as the mutants from the Chernobyl disaster make them their next meal....

Yep that's it. It's a straight by the number survivor story, but it's done in such a comical, unintelligent way that you don't care who lives or dies.

This is all a shame really because this film is actually pretty well acted for the most part. All the actors actually do a pretty job of showing how scared they are, but it's all wasted in a movie with no intelligence, bunch of clichés , bad dialogue and routine jump scares that we have all seen a million times already-the only difference is the setting itself in Pripyat and the whole Chernobyl disaster.

Like I said I knew it be bad like most of the people seeing it with me, and we loved it as a comedy, but as a horror film it's pathetic.

Pure comedy gold!!!, 15 March 2012

Nice parody of Westerns and Spanish telenovelas. Of course seeing a "gringo" play the lead in this comedy role with a largely Mexican cast was going to be fun, but Ferrell was absolutely perfect and the only guy that could have pulled it off very well.

With his poor broken Spanish and intentional bad acting guaranteed a laugh a minute. Just looking as his black perm and acting Mexican pretty much sold the movie. However, the barrage of over the top and bizarre sequences pretty much elevated the movie even more (and there are too many too list).

Probably my favorite involved the ones involving the "White cat" (pure gold).

The supporting cast is made of acclaimed Mexicans actors like Diego Luna, and the late Pedro Armendáriz Jr., and young up and coming actress Genesis Rodriguez who all gave great comedic performances.

You can tell they really had fun with this one.

Recommended.

The Vow (2012)
Nice romantic movie, 3 February 2012

The movie will definitely put a smile on your face. It's a romantic drama with a few brushes of comedy thrown in.

Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum play a young married couple whose lives take a tragic fate when they suffer a head on car accident.

McAdams's character isn't horribly disfigured or anything like that, but she suffer brain trauma which has blocked all memory of Tatum's character Leo.

Leo tries to get regain her memory by trying to have her fall in love with him again.

It's true that these types of movies aren't original, but that doesn't bother me too much as long as the product is good.

The performances are excellent, Channing and Rachel have great chemistry and supporting cast from Sam Neil to Jessica Lange is more than adequate.

All it's just a nice romantic movie.

Impressive film by Angelina Jolie, 23 December 2011

I was invited to see this film back in July. At the time it was a secret screening. They wouldn't tell us the name of the movie, let alone who directed it. When I find out later it was directed by Angelina Jolie , I was impressed.

She did a great job capturing the atrocities of war and the lowest depths of humanity here. The movie basically shows us the events leading to, during, and after the Bosnian war from the perspective of a Serb and a Bosnian who as it so happens are lovers.

The lovers are Ajla and Danijel both excellently played by Goran Kostic and Zana Marjanovic . At first Danijel is very hesitant about carrying his orders as a Serb soldier. At first, but this doesn't last long. He either carries out or orders other members of his team to carry some barbaric actions on the Bosnian civilians they find from either rape, torture, to eventual death.

When you see what happens you are going instantly think back to the Nazi's and what they did to Jews in the name of ethnic cleansing.

Eventually, we see through Danijel's lead, genocide being committed at every turn. Ajla is captured, but she is treated like royalty (again at first) with no one else being able to touch or come near here except Danijel.

This love story though has no happy ending as Ajla sees Danijel for what he is, not an unwilling participant in the war, but an active and willing agitator in one of the most chronicled bloodbaths recorded in Europe.

"In the land of Blood and Honey" is a superb war movie showing the type of atrocities that the Serbs were accused off while the United Nations and United States did nothing to stop it until the end.

Angelina Jolie's second directorial debut is impressive. No shot is ever wasted, every shot and scene sets up something very important. The actors are all excellent.

This could easily get several Academy nominations come Oscar time.

All in war a very brutal, but realistic depiction of another bloody war in history.

Good sequel, 20 December 2010

Good sequel to the original Tron. I got goose bumps when I watched this in the theater. It's been a long time coming but finally a sequel was done.

Tron Legacy is a visually sound movie experience. The 200 million dollar budget over the movie definitely shows on screen. The incredible musical score by Daft Punk fits the film PERFECTLY and it definitely felt like this was taken right after the original TRON.

Story: Kevin Flynn, the hero from the original movie, took over Encom but then mysteriously vanished. Sam's gets an s.o. s from Flynn's old arcade house. He gets there then he gets thrown back into the digital world of Tron (just like Flynn did in the original movie) . Sam has to fight in the games of the grid like his father did all the while trying to get to his father, so the two can find a way out of the grid. Kevin it turns out was betrayed by his program, Clu, who has decided to take over the whole grid killing any programs and anomalies that threaten him.

I read a couple of the critiques about the film with regards to the story, and the critics do have some points. The story is pretty simple, and could have been reworked a bit more to take full advantage of all the elements from the original movie including the actual character of Tron/ Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner) whose inexplicably reduced to a minor role. However, with that said, the writers didn't lose sight of the main character of Kevin Flynn who was the main character of the original movie, and do expand on the story from the original.

Jeff Bridges hasn't played the role in more than twenty eight years, but as the great actor he is, easily starts out where he left in the original and takes the character into another direction. Kevin Flynn is now older and as such is a wiser, darker, more mysterious character, not the same naive, innocent guy he was in the first movie.

Joseph Kosinki's directorial style is good. He throws a lot of references to the movie and uses a couple of comedy bits, but the movie for the most part has a dark and futuristic look that gives fans a good feel of where exactly the Tron universe has evolved too since the last movie.

The movie is definitely a visual spectacle for the eyes. Everything has been upgraded from the original, and you definitely do get the realism like the original that this guy has been sucked into the movie. The light cycles have been upgraded, and you see programs disassembled and destroyed In more graphic fashion than in the original movie. We also get the cool hand to hand disc battles that were in the original with the exception now that the fights borrow a lot from motion style of fighting. There are added new gadgets like the light jets and light cars.

There's also besides the visual feats as mentioned an incredible music score by French musicians Daft Punk (who have a small cameo in the movie as a couple of digital Dj's). Daft Punk's score is definitely another element that really made the movie quite an experience.

The performances in the movie are good. As talked about Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn has grown from the original movie. He's no longer the that naive hacker with a love for computers, now he's older and seen his great creation once again perverted again. Garrett Hedlund as Sam Flynn does his role well as the estranged son here. Olivia Wilde as his would be love interest is also pretty good.

Tron Legacy is a good sequel that definitely lives up the hype surrounding it. Studios gave the director a might big budget and it's taking advantage of it. It's true the script and story could have been better but as far as what happens to the main character of Kevin Flynn, they did answer a lot of questions that we had questions since the first movie. If there are plans for further entries in the franchise then they must include a deeper story that takes more advantage of the characters from the original including Tron .

As far as this movie goes, they got right what they were supposed to do which is get news fans interested in the franchise, and get older dedicated fans of the original something to look back on. Hopefully, there will be further entries in the franchise.

Looks promising, 25 September 2009

This is the very hyped spin-off to NCIS. It was good. More hits than misses. LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell play their parts like veterans.

Character wise you'll notice differences and similarities between this and NCIS obviously. There's a computer guru like Abby. There's a psychologist in the show where as in NCIS there isn't one. The main chief, Hetty, is an old woman who seems to treat her agents like their kids. In the first episode when Agent Callen (O'Donnell) arrives for his day back to work, Hetty makes sure he has everything he needs including a new wardrobe!!! She is definitely unlike Gibbs in many ways. Gibbs would never pamper his agents to that level. Gibbs is more direct and impatient. Hetty seems a bit more understanding. Hanna and Callen have a buddy buddy relationship in the tradition of Dinozzo and McGee. I found O'Donnell and LL's chemistry to be right on the money. Perfect casting here. They are creating a spin-off show with a couple of the same formulas from the original with an LA feeling. So far I think they've succeeded.

You'll also notice differences in the way of how the organization deals with cases. For the bulk of the pilot it was Callen and Hanna doing the bulk of the muscle for their investigation. Maybe this will change over time.

Story-wise the show seems to have a couple of stories to pursue. Callen still hasn't gotten his moment of justice for the people that shot him. In the the pilot is about a Navy Officer whose gunned down by people who are working for the drug cartel. There are a couple of twists to make the outcome not seem so obvious. OK sure it's a story that probably has been repeated many times but then again NCIS has plenty of routine stories that have been done to death.

"Identity" introduces the main characters of the show. They establish O'Donnell and LL as the main stars. We get a taste of the supporting characters but not enough obviously to let us know what makes them act the way they do. We also get a few characters making cameos for the show like Director Vance.

Overall, this so far is a nice spin-off. "Identity" was entertaining. There's a lot of possibilities here. As long as the show has character development and make stories interesting this could end up like NCIS having a long run.

The Soloist a great movie not to be missed!!!, 23 April 2009

Saw this movie at a screening last year, yet this movie stuck with me back then as it still does now (Many spoilers follow below):

Based on a true story and a book The Soloist is a special movie that might end up getting serious Academy Award attention (don't know why it got delayed last year when it easily could have been nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting actor at this year's Oscars). This story takes place in Los Angeles and has a lot to say about LA (Namely dirty politics, the homeless problem specifically in Skid Row but can be attributed to the whole state, and mental illness) it was a must see. The fact that there were two great actors in the lead Jamie Foxx (Ray)and Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) was enough for me to see it. The movie is about a homeless musician with schizophrenia. At least that's part of the story, this a movie that has a story within a story. We learn about the brilliance of Nathaniel Ayers Jr. played with stunning excellence by Foxx.

Ayers for whatever reason developed schizophrenia but was a brilliant cello and violin player with a love for Beethoven. LA Times journalist, Steve Lopez (Downey) does something that not many journalists do when he reaches to Ayers for help seeing his brilliant playing (not too mention the circumstances which he lives in which are to say the least inhumane but no one gives a damn about except the homeless shelter Ayers visits.) and hoping that he can fulfill his dreams of sharing his brilliant gift of playing music.

Lopez really doesn't know what he is getting himself into as Ayers schizophrenia often poses numerous problems not just for Ayers health but any potential rewarding job opportunities. Both Foxx and Downey play these parts great. They really are some of the best actors in the business today. Like I said a story within a story, we see the homeless problem in Skid Row (although really all of California like other states has a big homeless problem). We see REALLY NO ASSISTANCE for the homeless. Then the Mayor makes some speech promising to help the homeless but as with most politicians most of their promises are crap as we see a sweep (really a beat down of the homeless by the pigs, I mean cops of LA). This is something that is done in other cities for whatever reason (I guess maybe the mentality is if they get rid of the homeless and move them out of the area no one will realize there is a problem).

Anyhow, I really liked the director's guts (Joe Wright) to show not just Nathaniel's story but the story of other homeless people and poor people of the area. This could have been one of those garbage "Hollywood ending" movies where everybody gets saved but Joe Wright presents the real consequences and results of situations. Anyways, this is a great, great movie that is not to be missed. It's not a Shine ripoff!!! You know they throw around a lot of exaggerated phrases like "this is the Best movie I've seen in years", "This movie is mesmerizing",. " It will tug away at your heart", but really this is a movie that lives up to all that and more.

I've also started reading the real book "The Soloist" by Steve Lopez. I would also highly recommend reading the book as it will give your more details about Ayers and more insight from Lopez himself in learning about his new friend and what others with schizophrenia go through. It's a great book. This movie really is one of the best movies I've seen in a while by two great actors.

Great show killed too soon, 8 December 2008

Well as of now people know the show has been canceled. The how and why can be discussed all day but for me I loved the show. It proved that Slater is an underrated actor. He's done a couple of bad stinkers like "Alone in The Dark" but he has redeemed himself.

This show was fun every week. Yeah a lot of was predictable but it's still done in such an entertaining way that I never missed an episode.

The acting by Slater as he slips into Edward then Henry was great and convincing. The secondary characters from his wife to his buddy or the psychologist are all well developed. Everyone harbors a secret in this show which made it interesting. You don't know whose playing who.

Likewise, Edward/Henry has an actual family to begin with so you do get all the dynamics and drama that comes with living two identities.

Stuff like the experiment or chip in Edward malfunction make the show less predictable as you don't quite know when one personality will take over. There's also a lot of humor with the rivalry that Edward and Henry against one another. They both hate each but also need one another.

It's hilarious to see then where their personality takes them in every episode. Again I will say that Christian Slater provides great acting here. You can tell when an actor is really into his role and that makes all the difference in the world. I will mention the rest of the cast which is great. There is Alfre Woodward who plays Edward's boss, Mavis Heller. She is also great and let's Henry/Edward know that he can be eliminated at any time. Bella Thorne as Henry's wife, Ruthy Spivey, is a capable actress. Omid Atayi as Tony (the technology dude keeping track of the experiment) is also good. Saffron Burrows as Henry's psychologist is great (not too mention beautiful). It's too bad that this died too soon.

Iron Man (2008)
Excellent adaptation of the comic book hero!!! Thumbs up!!!!, 2 May 2008

Wow. Wow. Wow. Talk about a great film forget about the people who say this movie fails. Iron Man the movie is not only a great adaptation of the comic hero but is a great movie in general. It has it all: Special effects, great acting, interesting, realistic characters and a very modern story. Of course this is also attributed to the fact that comic book itself has all these qualities as well. For anyone who wants more of Iron Man after watching the movie, I would highly suggest getting in the comic you won't be disappointed!!! (Spoilers) The comic of course was created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Larry Lieber, and Don Heck.

The film follows the comic book very well (with a couple of alterations such as it taking place in the West Coast instead of the East Coast for example).

Backstory: Iron Man or should I say Tony Stark (who in my opinion is one of the most underrated comic book heroes who doesn't quite the same publicity as Bob Kane's Batman) is a wealthy socialite who makes his life building and selling weapons. In a way just like Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark is a business superhero. Also, unlike Spider-Man, The Hulk and other comic book heroes there isn't a mutant or radioactive, gamma force that gives the hero his power, the power lies in the man's own ability to use his intellect, wits, bravery and judgment to combat the villains and problems he encounters.

Tony Stark, Iron Man fights against a corporation/terrorist group known as Ten Rings in Afghanistan. In the comic book, Iron Man has many adventures fighting groups that have profited and used his own weapon systems from Stark Industries.

Stark is forced to create a replica of one of his Jericho missiles for the group or face death. Worse yet, Stark having felt a blast that has left shrapnel near his heart MUST wear a chest plate to protect his heart. Yinsen (another prisoner) is the man who has kept Stark alive and helps create the prototype of Iron Man with him. Yinsen helps Tony get the necessary time to get Iron Man up and running. This leads to an impressive special effects action sequence that led to a lot of clapping and cheering with the audience I saw it with.

After this recovery from death and from the words of Yinsen who tells him not to waste his life, Stark has a major epiphany. He no longer wants to make weapons of destruction, he wants to save lives. His business partner Obadiah Stone does not share Stark's new vision and this leads to several dramatic scenes and more superb special effects with Iron Man. I will not spoil what else happens except that it's excellent.

Before watching the movie, I saw an interview with Jon Favreau who said he was going to make a movie that would make lovers of the comic book happy but also make a movie simple enough that you didn't have to be an expert in it. What a smart guy he is. Jon is a good director but this was by far his biggest project. I mean Marvel wants to make a franchise of Iron Man just like they did with Spider-Man so a lot was riding on the line and Favreau delivered a home run!!! Speaking of home runs, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man was unbelievable I cannot think now in retrospect a better pick for the role. Jeff Bridges was great and Gwyneth Paltrow were also very good. I'am glad they went with this cast and didn't go for the younger cast which would not have achieved the same results of this very adult oriented comic book hero's life.

Again going back to why this movie is so successful: It's not dumb down, we got a moral dilemma with a guy coming to grips over the destruction that comes from his business but is starting to correct it, we got several shots at the corporate culture putting profit ahead of lives, we get a nice romantic storyline here, we have multidimensional characters, and lastly we got great special effects. On top of all this we have a good attempt to follow the comic book hero.

I don't know what else to say if what I say hasn't convinced you that Iron Man is not just a great comic book movie but a great movie in general then there's nothing I can do. However, you will be missing out on one heck of a great movie. Thumbs way up!!!!!!!!!!!

"Red Eye" (2007)
Very funny show and a breath of fresh air., 1 March 2008

Who knew something so good and funny could be on Foxnews? I certainly didn't. Greg, Bill and his gang are a riot. Forget about Bill "I hate Liberals and anyone with a different opinion" O'Reilly, "Red Eye" is the complete opposite of everything on Foxnews.

First off, it's not dull, it's not lame, it's hip, cool, and unpredictable. Greg has numerous guests ranging from Hollywood directors to even wrestlers like Chris Jericho and comedians like Amy Schumer and Andrew Levy.

The format is quite simple (and yet so brilliant) Greg gets together with his buddies and guests into a round table discussion of the day's/week's event. The topic can literally go anywhere from talking about marijuana, to talking about politics, the latest busted celebrity, or even to the panelists themselves.

Greg I don't know how he is off the screen but comes as a very smart guy who knows his stuff as does Bill and the rest.

Like I said when I first watched it, I loved it, then I realized I was actually loving a show that was on Foxnews!!!! Completely blew me away.

If you are fan, you know this show is great. Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]