elaurens88

Inane and silly, with dumb characters and no plot, 23 January 2008

One of the most silly movies I've ever seen. It's basically just a bunch of inane characters you don't care about running around screaming "Rob!" or "Jason!" The acting is on the level of a high school play. The "love story" is silly and laughable. The special effects are okay, but not on par with those of the great horror and sci-fi movies. Honestly, I can't think of a single thing to recommend this movie, except for the fact that it was very short.

I know a lot of people see movies like this for mindless thrills, but Cloverfield stinks even by the lowered standards of the genre. This is a movie for people with no standards. If you like intelligent movies, don't evenbother with this crud.

Not Bad, 3 July 2004

Gay propaganda? Get real! If you think this film is "propaganda" or an attempt to "rewrite history" you obviously didn't pay attention. It's just a fun, campy film that parodies bad teen movies from the fifties and sixties. And it mostly succeeds. Some of the gags fall flat, but overall the film works. The performances of Lauren Ambrose, Thomas Gibson, and Nicholas Brendon are especially amusing - they really capture the acting style that you see in a lot of those old B-movies. I also enjoyed how the film skewered various cliched movie scenes and hackneyed plot devices. but, as other posters have noted, how much you enjoy this film will probably depend upon how familiar you are with the type of films being parodied.

An exquisite film, 21 April 2001

This is one of the greatest films ever made. Each frame aches with repressed passion and longing. It is about a lawyer named Newland Archer (played expertly by Daniel Day-Lewis) who yearns to break free of the rigid, repressive world of upper-class New York in the 1870's. The tragedy is that he cannot quite bring himself to do this, for fear of losing the security and prestige that this world offers him. As Countess Olenska, Newland's forbidden lover, Michelle Pfeiffer has never been better and Winona Ryder is equally strong as Newland's fiancee, May, who hides a controlling, manipulative nature behind a veil of sweetness and naivete. Jay Cocks' screenplay is a true rarity - a script that is stimulating emotionally as well as intellectually. The dialogue shines, just click on the "memorable quotes" section of the sidebar for a sampling of this script's greatness. And how could I forget the master behind this masterpiece, Martin Scorsese? His direction is peerless, as always. His camera is always moving, but the effect is stylish and subtle rather than intrusive. The framing and composition are exquisite as well. One of my favorite things about this film is it's look. The cinematography (Michael Ballhaus), art direction (Dante Ferretti), and costumes (Gabriela Pescucci) magically recreate the visual splendor of the era. This film will hold you spellbound until its last scene, which is one of the most heartbreaking and poignant in cinematic (and literary) history. And to those who say that "nothing happens" in this film - look closer. Unlike most films, the action here is mostly covert, not overt.

A unique Western, 21 September 2000

I have to admit that this film is a bit melodramatic and outdated, but I still love it. Despite its semi-long running time, it never fails to be entertaining. And everyone in the cast turns in a great performance - especially Gregory Peck, in a rare departure from his nice-guy on-screen persona. Also, Dmitri Tiomkin's score is fabulous, and I love that early technicolor!

I hated this movie, 21 September 2000

I don't understand why this film got a decent rating on the imdb, it is just plain awful. The singing and dancing are uninspired, the songs don't fit into the story well, the overabundance of subplots is distracting, and absolutely none of the jokes are funny. If you want to see a good Woody Allen film, rent The Purple Rose of Cairo instead.

A hilarious film, 21 September 2000

This is one of the great underrated gems of the cinema. This film is hilarious, but never too snide - while the characters are undeniably dorky, you can't help but love them (especially the "Lunts of Blaine". Red, White, and Blaine is the funniest play-within-a-movie you will ever see, and all the songs are mini-masterpieces of comedy, especially "Everything is Boring on Mars."

Not at all a great film, 21 September 2000

This is not the great film it is made out to be. Pauline Kael, the goddess of film criticism, called it "cinematic yellow journalism," and she was right on target. Except for the affecting supporting performances of Randy Quaid and John Hurt, this movie is worthless, trashy,and exploitative. Not to mention the fact that the score is overemphatic and annoying, and that the film's potrayal of the Turks is blatantly ethnocentric.

An overrated movie, 20 September 2000

This movie is pretty much a mess. I'm a huge Peter Weir fan, and I really expected more from him. If you want to see one of his films, rent Gallipoli or Picnic at Hanging Rock, and avoid this at all costs. This is basically one of those tiresome, pseudo-inspirational films wherein a unique, rule-breaking teachers inspires his students to do their own thing. The characters are all cliches - the teacher; the sweet, slightly effeminate boy with the obnoxious father who doesn't understand him; the token girlfriend character, etc. Also, I'm sick of Robin Williams using his films as a forum to show off his impersonations - save those for the stand-up routines.

My list, 20 September 2000

Here is Barbara's List of all the reasons why Schindler's List is the most annoyingly overpraised film of all time. 1.Overlong 2.Spielberg's most self-indulgent film, which is pretty pathetic, considering that he also made Saving Private Ryan 3.self-consciously arty 4.overabundance of cheesy filmmaking gimmicks.

If I had more time, I could go on forever....

Poetic, 20 September 2000

A beautiful, haunting film. You will not be able to forget it. The performances (especially Adjani's)are sensitive and moving as is the direction and the script. Definitely the most intelligent movie about obsessive love ever made. If you are a Truffaut fan, or just a film fan in general, rent this film immediately.