robertharkins

Cabin Boy (1994)
Simply the worst movie I have ever seen, 20 July 2004

Of the thousands of movies I have seen, I can say with confidence that this is the worst.

The sad thing is, I generally like Chris Elliot and Andy Richter, but someone should have saved them from themselves on this one. The sissy pirate script is horrible - the script The Producers should have picked for a guaranteed bomb. The Producers' fault was in picking a serious script that was so bad it was funny -- here the script is a "funny" script that is so bad it is just sad. And it is only made worse by terrible overacting and poor direction.

The movie makes "Freddie Got Fingered" look like a masterpiece.

Fight Club (1999)
Great Film: Deserved Several Academy Award Nominations, 24 September 2001

The script was tight, the theme fascinating, the acting incredible (especially Edward Norton, as one might expect), the direction inspired, and the cinematography stunning. It is one of the few films of the past five years that deserves to be seen multiple times. In fact, if you have seen it only once, you have missed something. I was seriously hoping the movie would receive Oscar nominations for Best Actor (Norton), Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Picture.

So, how is it that the film received no nominations? Unfortunately, it had a mismatched ad campaign. The ads made it seem like the movie was about street boxing, instead of a intellectual and emotional ride through a man's psyche as he takes a strange path toward rebellion against consumer society. As a result, most who went to see it were disappointed, and those who would recognize its brilliance stayed far away from the movie theaters. This is one of the most underrated movies I know.

I always love movies that keep you entertained and keep you guessing, and this movie scores a 10 in both. Those who enjoyed The Game, Memento, or The Matrix really should check it out.