thull1

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Now I know why this musical played for so many years., 22 November 2000

I bought this video approx. two weeks ago and have watched it everyday since. Among stage show videos, I thought that Lord of the Dance could ever be topped. Well, I am reminded to "never say never".

The scenery and lighting are very professional. The choreography is very good. The dancers show outstanding athletic ability. The most obvious is flexibility. And they no doubt have excellent muscle tone and aerobic capacity.

The music is what sets this show apart. The songs range from very good to incredibly beautiful; instrumentally and vocally both. When the whole cast cuts loose with an energetic number it is so thrilling to hear.

When mentioning individual singing, let me refer to the final scene. Elaine Paige starts off with a magnificent performance of "Memory". Then follows a beautiful group performance. You wouldn't think it could get any better, but Ken Page delivers an incomparable performance, of several minutes, with a voice that is both beautiful and powerful.

A truly magnificent production, 21 November 2000

I consider this and Anne of Avonlea to be, for all practical purposes, a single movie. And it is easily my #1 movie that was not released in theaters. I always tell people it is because of the story, performances, scenery, and cinematography. The story line is simple; a feisty, fearless, and intelligent orphan comes to live in a slow-paced and easy-going village and lightens it up in a way the residents probably never thought possible. I appreciate Colleen Dewhurst's great performance more each time I watch it (I have the video). And Megan Follows gives what only be called a perfect performance; remember, she was a teenager at the time. The scenery and cinematography, granted, will not remind anyone of "Lawrence of Arabia"; but if you take the time to notice, soft and subtle with no mountains or deserts can be as pleasing as anything you have ever looked at. I visited Prince Edward Island in 1998 and fell in love with the place.

In closing, my huge thanks to producer/director/writer Kevin Sullivan.

Anne of Avonlea (1987) (TV)
Another Kevin Sullivan masterpiece, 21 November 2000

I acknowledge the user comments that complain of all that this movie left our of Lucy Montgomery's books 2-4. But I was fortunate to see the movie before I read any of the books. As with the comments I made re: Anne of Green Gables, again it is a matter of story, performances, scenery, and cinematography. The story line here is a person (Anne) developing grandiose ideas of the perfect husband and perfect career; traveling as far as Boston to find them; and finally realizing that both (Gilbert and writing) have been in her own back yard all the time. Megan and Colleen again are superb. This sequel has the added firepower of Wendy Hiller, Rosemary Dunsmore, and Frank Converse. Wendy Hiller makes her great performance look so effortless. And Rosemary Dunsmore pulls off the feat of changing from someone you love to hate to someone you have sympathy for. And several other supporting performers make the very best of an outstanding screemplay.

IMDB, you should allow a 5,000 word limit for comments on movies like this one. performers make the very best of an outstanding screenplay.

"Fury" (1955)
My very first favorite TV show; please bring it back, 27 October 2000

This was my favorite television show back during the time that it was on. I was approaching my teens and its western location and various adventures appealed to my own sense of and desire for adventure.

Alas, I have not seen it since it went off the air. In other words I have never seen any reruns; I don't know for sure if there ever have been any reruns. I fear that the reels of film may have been lost. But if they are still available, and if a person with the capability to put this show back on the air as reruns happens to read this, please do so. Thank you.

Old Yeller (1957)
Perhaps Disney's best animal-oriented movie, 15 September 2000

I get the feeling that many people consider this movie "old fashioned". That's unfortunate. The story of people appreciating a dog's love and loyalty should always be considered first rate material. And in this case it was done by the master himself; Walt Disney. Who could not be captivated by Old Yeller's lovable face and smile. The well done story line took him from scoundrel to protector and companion. Granted, the scenes showing Old Yeller fighting off the animal "villains" had a somewhat unnatural look about them; but getting a herd of wild pigs, for example, to do what you want, can't be too easy. And Tommy Kirk really nailed it (the feeling of grief) in the scene where he put Old Yeller out of his misery.

My favorite of many outstanding episodes, 13 September 2000

I enjoy this series (I faithfully watch the reruns) for the same reasons millions of others do; the story lines that provide valuable lessons in life and the outstanding performances by regulars and guests. I would like to let readers know my all time favorite episode. It's the one titled "The Man Inside". This is the one about the fat man who decides to "leave" so his daughter will no longer have to be embarrassedd by him. Later, the children in the blind school open her eyes and help her realize what a great father he is.

Another Disney masterpiece about animal/human interactions., 8 September 2000

This is Disney at its best. Filmed on location amidst beautiful scenery. An intelligent and common sense screenplay. Human actors that are down to earth and believable. A truly outstanding narrator. An endearing story line that isn't really that far-fetched; pets, especially dogs, have been known to travel great distances to get back home.

I want to emphasize the narration. This movie is just one example of Disney's ability to find highly skilled narrators for movies/documentaries in which humans play a minor part; and sometimes no part at all.

One of Walt Disney's great masterpieces, 8 September 2000

This classic shows the Disney skill at giving human attributes to animals and not seeming the least bit ridiculous. The result is that the audience cares very much about the animal stars. That is especially so in this movie because of the timeless and beautifully done story line. The movie is enhanced by beautiful scenery and beautiful music. I have had the video for years and consider it one of my treasures.

12/60 Christmas episode; great performance by Will Wright, 5 September 2000

My favorite Andy Griffith show episode is the Christmas show when mean old Ben Weaver tries to get himself arrested. (Enter "Will Wright" in the database search box and note #6 under Notable TV guest appearances) On Christmas Eve, Ben Weaver (a legitimate liquor dealer) insists that Andy arrest a farmer for making some illegal moonshine to celebrate Christmas with. Andy brings the farmer's wife and two kids to the jail and, with Barnie, Opie, Aunt Bea, and Ellie, the whole lot of them celebrate Christmas right there in the jail. Ben becomes aware of this; feels left out; and tries to get himself arrested so he can join in the festivities. Thanks to some brilliant acting by Will Wright you start off intensely disliking Ben Weaver and end up feeling genuinely sorry for him.

Midway (1976)
A decent movie that could have been a very good movie, 4 September 2000

I have done a fair amount of reading on the battle of Midway. Military historians rate it very critical to the war in the Pacific; the death of a large number of skilled, experienced Japanese pilots on 6/4/42 probably shortened the war. The battle was very involved; approximately 50 ships (7 were aircraft carriers) and 600 planes were involved. One would think that this would be enough to make an entertaining and educational movie. But the producer had to clutter it with the relationships between four fictional characters; Charlton Heston's character, his ladyfriend, his son, and his son's girlfriend. The time involved could better be used in presenting more of the many details of the battle. A very good source was available: "Midway; the Battle that Doomed Japan" by Mitsuo Fuchida. He was there; when the bombs were falling.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]