thull1

A truly magnificent production, 21 November 2000

I consider this and Anne of Avonlea to be, for all practical purposes, a single movie. And it is easily my #1 movie that was not released in theaters. I always tell people it is because of the story, performances, scenery, and cinematography. The story line is simple; a feisty, fearless, and intelligent orphan comes to live in a slow-paced and easy-going village and lightens it up in a way the residents probably never thought possible. I appreciate Colleen Dewhurst's great performance more each time I watch it (I have the video). And Megan Follows gives what only be called a perfect performance; remember, she was a teenager at the time. The scenery and cinematography, granted, will not remind anyone of "Lawrence of Arabia"; but if you take the time to notice, soft and subtle with no mountains or deserts can be as pleasing as anything you have ever looked at. I visited Prince Edward Island in 1998 and fell in love with the place.

In closing, my huge thanks to producer/director/writer Kevin Sullivan.

Anne of Avonlea (1987) (TV)
Another Kevin Sullivan masterpiece, 21 November 2000

I acknowledge the user comments that complain of all that this movie left our of Lucy Montgomery's books 2-4. But I was fortunate to see the movie before I read any of the books. As with the comments I made re: Anne of Green Gables, again it is a matter of story, performances, scenery, and cinematography. The story line here is a person (Anne) developing grandiose ideas of the perfect husband and perfect career; traveling as far as Boston to find them; and finally realizing that both (Gilbert and writing) have been in her own back yard all the time. Megan and Colleen again are superb. This sequel has the added firepower of Wendy Hiller, Rosemary Dunsmore, and Frank Converse. Wendy Hiller makes her great performance look so effortless. And Rosemary Dunsmore pulls off the feat of changing from someone you love to hate to someone you have sympathy for. And several other supporting performers make the very best of an outstanding screemplay.

IMDB, you should allow a 5,000 word limit for comments on movies like this one. performers make the very best of an outstanding screenplay.

A very fine all-around movie, 24 September 2001

I missed out on this true story when it actually occurred, but I feel fairly confident in saying that the producer, writer, and director added very little, if any, "fictional fluff". The movie starts off by showing us the setting and most of the main characters. Everyone and everything looks real and believable; almost always a good indication that the viewer is in for an entertaining movie. And that is certainly the case here. Once the abduction occurs, the director skillfully keeps the interest nonstop and makes us very reluctant to get up and go to the fridge or anywhere else. There are solid performances by the supporting cast; the usual flawless performance we have come to expect from Megan Follows; and a superb performance by David Morse.

I have mixed feelings about this film., 19 April 2003

First let me talk about what I consider to be the strengths of this movie. John Barry's score is excellent and well deserves the oscar it won. Dean Semler's cinematography is magnificent and, to me, the highlight of the movie. For many years I considered the cinematography of "Lawrence of Arabia" to be the best I had ever seen. Now I'm not so sure. To me, the filming of the buffalo hunt/chase is one of the great achievements in movie history. And the filming of the vistas and the land under different lighting conditions is outstanding.

I did not see the performances of any of Mary McDonnell's competitors, but was very disappointed that she did not win for Best Supporting Actress. And the nominations for Art - Set Decoration and Costume Design were very well deserved.

Another top achievement was getting to know the Indians very intimately and coming to realize that individually, the Indians of the 1860s are very much like white people today. And it showed, to an extent, how Indian culture of the 1860s differed so vastly from white culture of the same time. It would have been a good idea, I think, to have developed this aspect some more.

That is one of the weaknesses, in my opinion, of this movie. Another is the tendency to portray the Sioux as 100% good and the whites and the Pawnee as close to 100% bad. I have a handful of reputable books that all point out that there were a significant number of whites who were sympathetic to the Indians during this time. Unfortunately for the Indians, there weren't enough of them and most were back east.

Regarding the Pawnee, it is true that they were enemies of the Sioux. But so were the Crow, Shoshone, and some lesser tribes. From what I have read in my books, the various tribes of the Great Plains competed against each other for enough land to support them. They needed water, grass for their horse herds, wild game for food, and buffalo for just about everything. They warred against each other. But that doesn't make one tribe "good" and another tribe "bad".

Finally, there is too much of Kevin Costner in this movie. I don't know if he realizes or agrees, but it seems that he was trying to make himself, not the people of the Sioux village, the centerpiece of the movie. If someone else had done the narration, that would have been a big help. Or if someone else had played the part of Lt. Dunbar, that also would have been a good idea.

"Fury" (1955)
My very first favorite TV show; please bring it back, 27 October 2000

This was my favorite television show back during the time that it was on. I was approaching my teens and its western location and various adventures appealed to my own sense of and desire for adventure.

Alas, I have not seen it since it went off the air. In other words I have never seen any reruns; I don't know for sure if there ever have been any reruns. I fear that the reels of film may have been lost. But if they are still available, and if a person with the capability to put this show back on the air as reruns happens to read this, please do so. Thank you.

Now I know why this musical played for so many years., 22 November 2000

I bought this video approx. two weeks ago and have watched it everyday since. Among stage show videos, I thought that Lord of the Dance could ever be topped. Well, I am reminded to "never say never".

The scenery and lighting are very professional. The choreography is very good. The dancers show outstanding athletic ability. The most obvious is flexibility. And they no doubt have excellent muscle tone and aerobic capacity.

The music is what sets this show apart. The songs range from very good to incredibly beautiful; instrumentally and vocally both. When the whole cast cuts loose with an energetic number it is so thrilling to hear.

When mentioning individual singing, let me refer to the final scene. Elaine Paige starts off with a magnificent performance of "Memory". Then follows a beautiful group performance. You wouldn't think it could get any better, but Ken Page delivers an incomparable performance, of several minutes, with a voice that is both beautiful and powerful.

One of Walt Disney's great masterpieces, 8 September 2000

This classic shows the Disney skill at giving human attributes to animals and not seeming the least bit ridiculous. The result is that the audience cares very much about the animal stars. That is especially so in this movie because of the timeless and beautifully done story line. The movie is enhanced by beautiful scenery and beautiful music. I have had the video for years and consider it one of my treasures.

My favorite of many outstanding episodes, 13 September 2000

I enjoy this series (I faithfully watch the reruns) for the same reasons millions of others do; the story lines that provide valuable lessons in life and the outstanding performances by regulars and guests. I would like to let readers know my all time favorite episode. It's the one titled "The Man Inside". This is the one about the fat man who decides to "leave" so his daughter will no longer have to be embarrassedd by him. Later, the children in the blind school open her eyes and help her realize what a great father he is.

Midway (1976)
A decent movie that could have been a very good movie, 4 September 2000

I have done a fair amount of reading on the battle of Midway. Military historians rate it very critical to the war in the Pacific; the death of a large number of skilled, experienced Japanese pilots on 6/4/42 probably shortened the war. The battle was very involved; approximately 50 ships (7 were aircraft carriers) and 600 planes were involved. One would think that this would be enough to make an entertaining and educational movie. But the producer had to clutter it with the relationships between four fictional characters; Charlton Heston's character, his ladyfriend, his son, and his son's girlfriend. The time involved could better be used in presenting more of the many details of the battle. A very good source was available: "Midway; the Battle that Doomed Japan" by Mitsuo Fuchida. He was there; when the bombs were falling.

Old Yeller (1957)
Perhaps Disney's best animal-oriented movie, 15 September 2000

I get the feeling that many people consider this movie "old fashioned". That's unfortunate. The story of people appreciating a dog's love and loyalty should always be considered first rate material. And in this case it was done by the master himself; Walt Disney. Who could not be captivated by Old Yeller's lovable face and smile. The well done story line took him from scoundrel to protector and companion. Granted, the scenes showing Old Yeller fighting off the animal "villains" had a somewhat unnatural look about them; but getting a herd of wild pigs, for example, to do what you want, can't be too easy. And Tommy Kirk really nailed it (the feeling of grief) in the scene where he put Old Yeller out of his misery.