silverdote

Hellmaster (1992)
At the other end of the rainbow.....is a bucket of sh!*, 26 August 2015

For every Goodfellas, there's are 50 Hellmasters. Arguably the worst movie I've ever seen-- and I should know, I was the on-set editor of this pile of rubbish. It was a lot of fun shooting this picture in an abandoned mental hospital. It was more fun banging the set photographer between takes. It was most fun watching Ron Asheton, the legendary guitar player for the Stooges, get made up like a nun. The film, though, is junk. Poorly acted, written and directed by horror rookie Doug Schulze. Does anything here make sense? Not the premise, not the story and certainly not Doug's hair plugs. No, not a good film---but for me, it was a great experience in how not to make a movie. There are no spoilers here---the whole thing just stunk.

The strength of will in the face of indescribable adversity, 24 February 2010

Upon leaving office, Booth Gardner, the most popular governor in Washington state history, thought he had life figured out. Turns out he was wrong. Within months of leaving office, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. When we meet Gardner, it is present day and he is losing his faculties---voice is slurred, mobility limited, death is on his mind every day. Taking the approach that he has made every difficult decision in his life---school, marriage, family, career--he posits, "why can't I decide when I want to go? why can't I legally make the most important decision of my life?". And with that we follow Booth Gardner on the campaign trail to get Prop 1000 to legalize "death with dignity" passed.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Daniel Junge for 20 years. From his days as a student at NYU film school and his early success with "Chiefs" (winner at TriBeca) through "They Killed Sister Dorothy" (short-listed for Best Doc 2009) he continues to fearlessly tackle difficult subjects and deliver beautiful, thoughtful films.

If you love great documentary, look for "The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner".

Genius, 4 November 2006

There's not much else to say. As Manhola Dargis says in the NY Times, "the 19th-century German thinker August Bebel observed, anti-Semitism is the socialism of fools, a truism Mr. Baron Cohen has embraced with a vengeance..." If you don't "get it", then it's not for you---but for everyone else, this is perhaps the most brilliant satire and raging comedy of all time. It took me a little while to settle in to the film, mostly because I was already familiar with Borat from HBO and frankly, the trailers on TV and the Web give away much of the introduction. As the story picks up speed and frenzy, Borat's clueless charm, if you can call it that, takes on full form. I am reminded of the late-great Peter Sellers' own Inspector Clousseau. The bumbling idiocy has that kind of familiarity. Borat isn't out to hurt anyone---he just wants to discover America. And discover it, he does. Marching through the South, Borat comes across all manner of insular, racist citizens going about their daily lives. He leaves a trail of comedic tears as he lays waste to the unsuspecting victims. What a joy to be along for the ride. You'll wince, you'll flinch, you'll gasp for air. Great comedy like this doesn't come around often enough.

what's the rumpus?, 22 October 2006

I went to go see FoOF having intentionally not read any reviews or advance press. What a mess. The flash-backs were SO predictable. Which old guy was supposed to be which young guy? Hank, Harlan, huh? Why all the fuss? So, yeah, OK....the government uses these guys to "Sell the war". Next. Whatever. And OK, Clint does a great job deglamorizing war---that's nothing terribly interesting. All Quiet On The Western Front did that, too. So have many other great films--Paths Of Glory, Johnny Got His Gun, Deer Hunter, et al. The effects were excellent, but, oh---right, we don't want to glamorize the war....too much. I don't know---this is one of those films where I think the PR/film critic machine is telling us this is something we're really "supposed to see" and find "very important". I'm not buying.

Fairy tales can come true, 5 February 2002

I saw this short film, by Detroiter Marx about 15 years ago and was blown away...as was the Academy of Motion Picture Arts, who awarded her an Oscar for best short documentary that year. If memory serves me correctly, the story follow Marx's octogenarian mother as she finds true love late in life. We follow her and her new courtesan as they enjoy romantic afternoons in beautiful gardens and as they stroll through the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Smart, sensitive and ultimately and genuinely touching film- making.