rollo_tomaso

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Bogart's Vulnerability Is A Revelation, 7 January 2001

Bogart stretches his acting muscles and allows his vulnerability to be on display in this realistic gut-wrenching love story. Gloria Grahame, one of the underrated great US actresses of the 40's and 50's, has an electrifying chemistry with Bogie, touching a side that we'd never seen -- not even with Lauren Bacall, laced with an odd kind of violent tenderness. Frank Lovejoy heads a fantastic supporting cast, heavy on three-dimensional characterisations. This unknown classic is Bogie's most complete performance ever. I give it 10 out of 10.

Poignant real-life drama mixed with great acting and directing, 27 December 2000

This movie, based upon a true incident at the Oglala Indian Reservation in South Dakota, seamlessly combines great acting, much of it by native Americans, taut direction, and delicious dialogue. It is thought-provoking, enlightening, well-paced, and always entertaining. As poignant a movie as I've ever seen, I rate this alongside L.A. Confidential, Life Is Beautiful, as one of the Three top movies of the 1990's. Val Kilmer has never been better and Graham Greene is simply magnificent, even better than he was in Dances with Wolves. This is a must-see for the entire family.

This is a movie that defines the biopic, 27 December 2000

Paul Muni, one of the five best actors EVER, is magnificent in recreating the life of one of France's most controversial literary figures. Zola reveals every facet of the great man's complex personality and personal successes and learning experiences in a manner that delivers rare insights and consummate entertainment to the audience at the same time. The supporting cast and the direction match Muni's magnificence to the best of their abilities every step of the way. I recommend this as one of the great forgotten films of all time.

Excellently crafted - painful to watch, 24 June 2001

Some of the other reviews summarize this pretty well. The Mosquito Coast details flawlessly the grotesque decomposition of a good and true man. Harrison Ford's Allie is driven insane by his own intelligence and inability to control his ego. Even more remarkable and disquieting is the fact that this is based on a true story. In some ways, Allie reminds me of Dr. Mobius from Forbidden Planet. But the demons Allie conjures up are far more grotesque and deadly than anything from even Mobius' warped imagination. I conclude that this is a true piece of art and science -- magnificently crafted from beginning to end -- and I will NEVER voluntarily watch it again.

Taut mystery, 30 June 2001

This taut atmospheric mystery-at-sea gets great performances by Jeanne Crain, Michael Rennie, Max Showalter, and Carl Betz. The pacing is fast, and the characterizations are well-crafted. I have seen this movie six times, and I never tire of it. Everything is handled so professionally. I highly recommend it.

the best nostalgic romantic comedy I've ever seen, 29 December 2000

Another Lubitsch masterpiece, Heaven Can Wait is in brilliant color. It is extremely well acted, charming, and in its own way, timeless. It takes place mainly around the turn of the century though it does transcend decades. It is the engaging story of wealthy would-be playboy Henry Van Cleeve, magnificently played by Don Ameche, whose heart is captured by Gene Tierney. Since he always had a bit of the rogue in him, and acted mischievously at times, upon death Henry goes directly to see Satan (played winningly by Laird Cregar) to accept his fate of eternal damnation. Thus, the story of his life is told to Satan via flashback in most ingenious fashion. I don't wish to give any more away. It is marvelous fare for the entire family. See it and revel in it.

The best movie ever adapted from a novel, 13 May 2001

Dorothy McGuire gives the best performance I have ever seen from a lead actress. Period. And the rest of the cast from top to bottom is just about as perfect. Betty Smith's classic American novel not only comes to life, but adds dimension and poignancy, and it all revolves around McGuire's completely vulnerable yet incredibly strong performance. James Dunn deservedly won best actor for the best performance of his career. Other standouts include Blondell, Garner, Gleason, Nolan, Donaldson, and Alexander. The direction is impeccable and the photography makes you feel like you are living right there in turn-of-the-century Brooklyn with them. Not a single mundane detail is omitted or glorified, and none of the difficulties and embarrassments are whitewashed. This may well be the best purely American movie ever made.

Masterpiece by Rene Clair, 29 May 2001

Rene Clair weaves the quintessential spider web with brilliant camera work including unusual but effective angles, snappy dialogue, and magnificent performances by ten impeccably cast artists. The viewer is drawn into the anxiety, claustrophobia, terror, and resignation felt one-by-one by each of the twelve weekend "guests" of Mr. Owen. Any mystery, suspense or thriller fan will be incomplete without seeing this work of absolute genius. My score: 10+/10.

Lady L (1965)
Riotous Satire Well Told By Veteran Cast, 17 April 2001

I had stayed away from this film because the critics panned it so viciously. Serves me right, because it was absolutely wonderful from beginning to end. Ustinov punctuates the rich satire in the script just perfectly with his grandiose direction. The cinematography is lush, and Sophia is outrageously good, as the strongly principled woman ahead of her time, who sees and is amused by all the rich ironies of life. Cecil Parker gives the movie it's opening tone and it never misses a best. But the writing is the strongest single aspect of the work, always remaining true to its characters, while making pungent observations on UK moral codes, class struggles, the battle of the sexes, the institution of marriage, and many others. Enjoy! 10/10

Magnificent neo-Hitchcock, 6 March 2001

This movie was bitterly panned upon its release, and I see a number of IMDB's reviewers agree with the original critics. I don't get it, except that this movie does such a good idea of taking you inside Stephen Bauer's character and what he is doing is so creepy that people react viscerally to him instead of the movie. The movie is engrossing, brilliantly photographed and well-paced. The camera angles and the chemistry between Bauer and Williams are reminiscent of what Hitchcock tried to do in Vertigo, but much less forced and contrived. All these characters behave in character. I really consider this one of the best romantic thrillers of all time. Yes, it is erotic. Why is that a bad thing? 10/10.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]