farnum

18 Again! (1988)
18...or 81?, 16 May 2001

This is the best movie of all the switched personality movies. It's so funny because its true! The funniest part was when that old guy did the dance at the party and all the girls wanted to go out with him. I hope I can do that when I'm 81! This is the best thing Charlie Schlater has done since "Fish Police". I think everyone should go out and see "18 Again!", again!

Beer (1985)
A fine film, 24 April 2001

I think this movie is really funny. Especially the part where all the guys get drunk at the bar. Its so funny because its true! This is the best work that Loretta Swit has done since A*F*T*E*R*M*A*S*H. Everyone should get a case of Norbeckers, and sit down and enjoy some "Beer"!

Cabin Boy (1994)
A bawdy romp that Chaucer would be proud of!, 22 May 2001

While a number of critics have discussed at length "Cabin Boy"'s allusions to earlier sea epics, such as "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Moby Dick" and "Humanoids of the Deep", surprisingly little attention has been devoted to it's social commentary. Although it may, perhaps, be an overstatement to call Chris Elliot's script "revolutionary", its message has a decidedly socialist bent. In fact, I would venture to say that none of Elliot's other work, prior to OR since "Cabin Boy" has had a comparable impact on the way ship captains treat their crew - or for that matter, on the labor movement in general in this country. It's safe to say that the success of "Cabin Boy" is a product not only of Elliot's vision, but also a fortunate case of being "the right film at the right time", so to speak.

Additionally, the cast must be credited. Brian Doyle-Murray, Russ Tamblyn and many others give the performances of their careers. The stand-out, of course, was Ritch Brinkley in a magnificent portrayal of Captain Greybar, captain of "The Filthy Whore." Far from the stereotypical old salt sea captain, Brinkley's Greybar is hard, harsh, irritable and irrascible, and yet even-handed and even sensitive, giving a textured character which is so clearly missing from many other sea films. Particularly touching is the scene when Elliot's character, Nathanial Mayweather, serves "fish-stick kitties" for the crew's lunch. Words cannot describe the emotion that Brinkley's face conveys. It's so touching because it's true!

While "Cabin Boy" has its flaws, I have no doubt that it will be greatly appreciated by landlubbers and sea captains alike, particularly those who, like myself, started their careers as lowly cabin boys.

Gator (1976)
Gator Rides Again!, 28 April 2005

I tell you, I've seen a lot of movies in my day, and none of them holds up as well over the years as Gator. Sure, you might say I'm biased since I was the president of the Burt Reynolds fan club high school AND the treasurer of the Jerry Reed Fan Club. But still, you can't deny it - Reynolds kicks A**! But anyway, back to the movie... So it was back in the day when I used to play college basketball in Georgia. The whole team used to go to class in our sweaty gym clothes, if we ever went to class - but that's another story! The part where Gator sticks Bammy McCaul's head in the dumpster is great! And Lauren Hutton was so HOT! Anyway, we were all at one guy's house after a big game, drinking non-alcoholic beer, and we popped in my favorite movie of all time (no, not Stroker Ace) that's right GATOR! Anyway, we just started watching it, and I remember this one guy named steve who always wore a skirt for some reason was complaining about something to do with a translation of Camus, but anyway, we're watching the movie and the pizza guy comes to the door - and who's standing there with a pizza in his hand? Why BURT REYNOLDS! Now I knew he was from Georgia, just like me, but what I didn't know was what a big fan he was of the team! Well, I was floored, I tell you. SO we invited him in, and we all sat around drinking non-alcoholic beer, and he told us all about his favorite parts of making Gator, especially when he stuck Bammy McCaull in the dumpster. Its so funny because its true! Anyway, after the movie one of my teammates found a spare sweaty team uniform and gave it to Burt. It was one of the best times of my life, and that's why I will always love GATOR!

Heroes (1977)
The end was the saddest part, 16 May 2001

I was a teenager when this movie first came out 1977 and I just HAD to see the Fonz in anything I could. At the time I thought he was just a fox, and then I found he really can act! I actually was fortunate enough to meet him once years later, and I told him that "Heroes" was the best movie I had ever seen him in since "The Lords of Flatbush". I cry every time I watch this movie, but the saddest part is the last scene. Its so sad because its true! I think everyone should go out and rent "Heroes."

Hooper (1978)
Hooper - it sooper-dooper!, 29 April 2005

But seriously, this is one of the best movies ever made about stunt-men. I ought to know - I used to be one! My favorite thing about this movie is that it has my two favourite actors of all time - Burt Reynolds (my idol), and Jan Michael Vincent. A lot of people think I was named after him. Its so funny because its true! JMV does a butt kickin job playing Hooper's arch enemy, Ski CHinsky. And the actor selected to portray Jimbo was optimally selected! THe best part was when the teenaged nerd changed the clapper in his dad's house to one clap instead of two. Its so funny because its true! I think everyone should be a trooper, and watch Hooper! (it ain't no pooper)

This weiner is no winner!, 25 May 2001

I've been a huge David Naughton fan ever since he had back-to-back hits with the "Makin' It" and "I'm a Pepper", but I gotta tell you, "Hot Dog" is B-A-D-D badd! (It's so dumb I needed an extra "D"!). Did Naughton disco-dance? No. Did he sing about his favorite soda? No. Did he do ANY of the things that his fans have come to love him for? Sadly, no. All this movie was about was skiing all day, and partying all night, and even that was unrealistic. I should know - I'm a ski instructor, and I definitely know how to PARTY! Yeah! It's so funny because its true! Anyway, if you really want to enjoy some David Naughton's finer work, get yourself a six-pack of Dr. Pepper and tune in to some old reruns of "Makin' It" - they're on all the time!

howard's rear end!, 7 November 2005

I loved this movie! I swear, I laffed my pants fell off - literally! The best part is when all the English people are playing tennis, and then anthony hopkins comes out wearing a gorilla suit, eating bananas and everything! I never laffed so hard in my life! No wonder they called it howard's end! On a serious note, Siegbert Prawer gave a touching performance as "man asking a question" - a ro^le he has wisely chosen not to repeat. If you want a good time, I suggest you go out, put on your own gorilla suit, and kick back with the good ol' boys of Howard's Rear End! You might even want to eat a banana with it, especially if you mash it up with your fist and then smear it on a frisbee or a mobius strip club.

Inverse scattering for CHUDs!, 4 November 2005

Three hands down, Humanoids from the Deep (H.f.t.D.)is one of the greatest interspecies copulating movies of all time. Believe me, I ought to know! Back when I was in grad school I did some research about inverse scattering to solve the Helmholtz equation. A lot of people don't know it, but you can actually use my results in the detection of subterranean C.H.U.D.s. Now I know what you're thinking -- a C.H.U.D. is a C.H.U.D. and a H.f.t.D. is a H.f.t.D., right? But tell me this -- next time you're roller skiing down the street and you see a guy with a ventriloquist dummy get his head ripped off in a tent just because he was about to get it on with his hot girlfriend on the beach, and then you find out she was impregnated by the otherworldly beast, are you going to pick nits? or just pick your nose and put it in the booger box? I rest my case. My point is this -- C.H.U.D.s, Humnanoids from the Deep -- who cares what you call them -- if you see their scattering support on the beach you'd best hightail your compact balls out of there. Pronto! The other thing that would have made this movie better would be if there was a guy with a gorilla suit in it. They wouldn't even need to hire another guy, they could just let Doug McClure do it. Heck, I could do it myself. It wouldn't be the first time. Once I was wearing my gorilla suit, drinking a nice glass of Barollo, watching Humanoids from the Deep and thats when I got the idea of using the whole inverse scattering thing for subterranean C.H.U.D. detection. THen I thought naah, I gotta do laundry and buy milk and stuff. It's so funny because it's true! So here's my advice: if you love someone, set them free. Then go out and watch Humanoids from the Deep!

Ho Ho Ho!, 17 May 2001

I love this movie! It's so funny because it's true! I took my kids to see it way back in '96, and they were just like the kids in the movie. It's good to see Schwarzenegger finally film a movie in Minnesota. Our family used to live in St. Peter, MN, and we were really proud when we saw the St. Paul Hollidazzle shown in the movie. This is the best thing Sinbad has been in since "Houseguest".