triblet

Gripping Documentary, 29 June 2001

People looking for raunch should look elsewhere. This is a study of a very bright, yet disturbed, young woman, who has something to say, and is willing to do something very extreme in order to make sure she's heard. I suspect many feminists will hate this film, and I suspect it will do Ms. Chong's heart good to rock the feminist theory boat. The way she chooses to claim and embrace her sexuality is repulsive, and yet fascinating and pwoerful. I really found myself thinking that I didn't care much for Ms. Chong, but that I deeply respected her motives. Highly reccomended for anyone interested in what the sex industry means, and can mean, for women.

Uniquely Kiwi, 21 April 2001

As an American living in NZ, I have to say, I can understand both 1) why this quirky, little movie is causing such stir all over New Zealand, and 2) why most Americans will watch it and think "Huh?".

This is not like any movie I've seen before...and certainly nothing like what most Americans are used to shelling out $10 to see. Before watching it, keep in mind it was made on a shoestring budget, and the script was written, piecemeal, while the film was being shot. That's right: there was NO SCRIPT before filming started.

This said, I can say I found this movie fun and refreshing, if a little rough around the edges. It made little sense, but that's part of the ride. Danielle Cormack is the next big thing to watch out for...her face is like no other in Hollywood, she has enormous screen presense, and she's a natural in any role she undertakes. As the female lead in The Price of Milk, she's a joy to watch.

Prepare yourself for an unusual film experience, chalk up the less than polished look of the movie to the low budget and brave experiment of making it up as they went along, and I think you'll enjoy this funny, tender, little film.

Quills (2000)
A joy to watch, 9 April 2001

I loved every minute of this movie- visually stunning, beautifully acted, cleverly written, and interesting, throughout. Perhaps the most important thing I can say about this film is that it made me think about the hypocrisy of religion and censorship. While there are some scenes that are unpleasant to watch, there is no gratuitous violence, and it is a surprisingly sweet movie. Highly recommended.

The blind leading the blind?, 27 October 2000

This movie is about as bad as a movie can be. The poor saps who bought into the whole media blitz that promised a raunchy film must have been very disappointed, indeed, as this is about the least sexy movie I remember seeing in a very long time. The plot, what there is of it, is tedious. The acting is awful, which can't really be blamed on Kidman and Cruise, who didn't have much to work with, in the first place. The outdoor scenes look about as much as new York City as those back-lot NYC scenes you see on Seinfeld. I don't want to include any spoilers, for anyone who actually wants to rent this and see it for themselves, but I can say the last scene of the movie was so clumsy, so bad, so inappropriate, that I laughed out loud.

A classic, for anyone who was a kid during the 1980s, 15 August 2000

If you're an American woman, between 30 and 35, you probably secretly love this movie, already, so why not admit it? Forget about Thelma and Louise, this was the first female buddy film. Fans of Sex in the City will get a kick out of Cynthia Nixon.

Thursday (1998)
Cooler than Pulp Fiction, 15 August 2000

The over-the-top violence in this movie could easily been offensive, but it wasn't because the film moved along like an exciting comic book. Not for the faint of heart, but definitely worth a watch, if you're interested in something gritty and clever, and altogether different from anything you've seen before.