bawko

Amazingly Underrated - Makes other movies look "Primitive" :), 1 February 2005

Greetings!

Shyamalan has outdone himself on this one - for an unexpected reason. Sure, it has the trademark Shyamalan "twist" ending, but even without that aspect of the movie, something very special was created when "The Village" was filmed.

If I were to recommend that anyone watch this film in any particular way, I would suggest that they completely forget about the director and his penchant for surprise endings and other filming gimmicks, and instead focus on the characters, dialog, and society being portrayed in The Village. Doing so might prove to be very interesting and possibly quite thought provoking.

Several stereotypes are assumed by the viewer when they see the setting of the film - due to the 1890's setting and how we view the era in our modern time. However, watch closely and listen to what the people actually say - and how they interact with each other. You will suddenly realize that the preconceived stereotypes of the 1800's you might have are hollow, and that this is a distinctly different society from our modern notions of frontier American life. Many of the social interactions and ways of speaking with each other, as well as non-religious overtones of the society being portrayed wind up being distinctly "out of place" with the period and intriguingly interesting to view. Within the first 20 or 30 minutes, you know that this is a separatist group that is distinctly different from the rest of 1800's civilization, as the differences and anomalies begin to pile up. Absolutely fascinating.

I feel that this movie is Shyamalan's finest work, with far more depth than any of his previous films (yes - even The Sixth Sense...). The astonishing way in which he has made the village "come to life" and take on a coherent yet unusual social "flavor" is nothing short of utter brilliance... my bowler hat off to Mr. Shyamalan.

Best wishes, Bawko

Catwoman (2004)
Not top-100, but not bottom-100 either!, 28 July 2004

I went to this film expecting to see something VERY bad, poorly filmed, badly written and acted, and just plain cheesy. Having read numerous reviews, online slams, and noticing Catwoman in the IMDB bottom 100, I fully expected to see the worst film of the year.

It is not. Certainly, it had some SERIOUS problems - too much use of low quality CGI and occasional dragging of the storyline/plot... but overall I was quite impressed with how much this movie really DID entertain and portray the comic-book world of Catwoman. I've always loved movies based on comic books, and never judged them for how closely they follow the "true" comic book events... what matters to me is whether or not the movie really sweeps me away to another world where such superheros and villains are possible. On this level, if no other, Catwoman does succeed... and quite well.

Sure... the plot sucks (when was the last time you saw a superhero movie that revolved around evil beauty cream, for christsake!)... and some of the writing was completely idiotic (the cop boyfriend finding a diamond studded claw in the living room, then - being the awesome detective that he is... decides to match lip-prints because that just ISN'T enough evidence for him??? Come again????) - but the movie DOES have redeeming qualities. I never found myself dozing off or wishing I was somewhere else during this movie... as I did more than once at Spiderman 2... and the movie doesn't spend overly long periods of time trying to convince us that the superhero is REALLY just another vulnerable, scared human being who has real feelings and faults (GAG....!!!).

My verdict? 6 out of 10 - entertaining, convincing comic book world, deducted 4 points for lame story and over-use of really bad CGI.

Heist (2001)
Nothing to see here... move on... move on..., 21 December 2003

Hmmmm.... All-star cast of (usually quite fine) actors seemingly desperate to buy a new yacht or something.... Greedy mob boss double crosses clever jewel thief and his crew..... hilarity ensues! Clever jewel thief, having been cheated out of his cut of previous job, agrees to do (drumroll please...) yet ANOTHER job for the same mob boss looser! Following this excellent career advancing decision, the heist goes off as planned, but endless switch-a-roo of the loot keeps us all on the edge of our seats until we fall asleep from the sheer tediousness of endless double crosses, betrayals, shell game involving gold pipes, bad dialog, etc. The only likable and sympathetic character in the movie is brutally murdered in a dingy storage locker after being tortured and watching in fear as thugs hold his 9 year old daughter hostage.... Now THAT'S great entertainment! Yep, this is a first rate crime caper thriller with about as much class as Adolf Hitler doing lines of coke with his creepy Gestapo buddies. Whatever. Zero stars out of 5. Actually, I think this movie owes ME a star for the WASTED TIME OUT OF MY LIFE that I will never get back.

What to say? Good god what a great movie!!, 27 February 2001

Wow. What is there to say about this movie other than whoa... unbelievable. What an incredible, excellent, truly awesome movie. I'm left practically speechless. I had heard that this was a movie worth checking out, but nothing I had heard or read prepared me for the blazing, throbbing, exhilarating rush of Lola and her incredible journey through the German urban jungle. Not only was the movie a sheer joy to watch and listen to, it was an intellectual treat touching on the most interesting of philosophical, moral, and religious questions. Great filmmaking, unlike 99% of the crap that comes out of hollywood this German masterpiece simply blows away ALL U.S. movies of the last 10 years. I could go on and on, but nothing I can say compares to the incredible experience of actually watching this cinematic marvel. See it, think about it, see it again - it's the kind of movie that doesn't get old with repeated viewings, but rather reveals itself in new facets of depth and wonder with each new viewing! Enjoy!

What to say? Good god what a great movie!!, 27 February 2001

Wow. What is there to say about this movie other than whoa... unbelievable. What an incredible, excellent, truly awesome movie. I'm left practically speechless. I had heard that this was a movie worth checking out, but nothing I had heard or read prepared me for the blazing, throbbing, exhillerating rush of Lola and her incredible journey through the German urban jungle. Not only was the movie a sheer joy to watch and listen to, it was an intellectual treat touching on the most interesting of philosophical, moral, and religious questions. Great filmmaking, unlike 99% of the crap that comes out of hollywood this German masterpiece simply blows away ALL U.S. movies of the last 10 years. I could go on and on, but nothing I can say compares to the incredible experience of actually watching this cinematic marvel. See it, think about it, see it again - it's the kind of movie that doesn't get old with repeated viewings, but rather reveals itself in new facets of depth and wonder with each new viewing! Enjoy!

The most Bawkable film of the year !!!, 25 June 2000

I didn't know what to expect when I went to see this film. However, once the film began to roll, I knew that I was in for an animated treat unlike any I had ever experienced. Funny, intelligent, and beautifully done - Chicken Run has it all!! Not only is this movie a masterpiece of animation, it is also a true work of genius when considering the story line and audience identification with the characters. This movie is DEFINITELY not just for kids, I personally feel that adults will get more out of this film than most children. In a word - absolutely FANTASTIC movie.

One of the most hauntingly beautiful films ever made !, 6 May 2000

This is, without a doubt, one of the most hauntingly beautiful works of cinematography ever made. The story is sublime - yet powerful. This is one of the only films I have ever viewed that left me in tears... the emotional impact was immense.

The beautiful cinematographic experience this film imparted is something that I will never forget. The characters were incredibly real, and like all humans - imperfect. The final scenes that this movie builds up to are nothing less than genius - I would say that the director of this film has been able to pull off a near perfect piece of storytelling. Even if this movie is (as another reviewer states) historically and culturally inaccurate, the fact remains that the story it tells contains incredible truths about human nature. This is, in my opinion, one of the best statements on the human condition that has ever been encoded in film. In short, this movie was a bitter-sweet nostalgic vision of the handover of Hong Kong - containing one of the most "humanly" accurate stories ever put to film.