Rune Eresberg

Evil (2003)
Compelling, gripping and brutal (some spoilers), 21 October 2003

Coming into the cinema with very little prior knowledge of the movie, I was very surprised to see the kind of movie it was. Right from the off it really gripped the entire audience, who consisted of lots of teenagers who started off talking during the first half minute of the movie, but became very quiet very soon.

Andreas Wilson is outstanding as Erik. Just outstanding. He really makes you cheer the character on through the hell he went through at the hands of the fourth-year students. What really makes the film is the payoff. It is very sweet, although I wouldn't mind seeing even more graphic portrayals of the final "battle". Having said that, this is a movie where the violence really is used close to perfection. You feel every punch, every kick, unlike some gorefests. I also liked the fact that violence is shown as a way to defeat/humiliate your opponents. So refreshingly un-PC. This goes straight into my "Top 10 movie" list. Emotional.

Poor guy :-), 23 September 2001

I'd wanted to rent this movie for months, but me and my friends always ended up with another movie. Recently I finally got around to renting it, and I was not disappointed. The gorilla-like Gimle turns in a great performance as the bingedrinking main character. Ellefsen and Eidsvold add to the proceedings in their own unique way, and confusion beckons. I won't spoil the plot, but it's full of laughs and chuckles. Very well acted, and nicely directed by Petter Næss. Absolutely one to watch.

Wow, 30 April 2000

I'd got negative feedback from my friends concerning this movie. They said it was disappointing and that it did not live up to the hype. I couldn't disagree more. I thought it was beautiful. The way Moodyson captured the essence of the movie I thought was stunning. It's all about love. They being lesbians made it even more compelling IMO. I was stunned by the greatness of the movie. I hadn't hoped for much, but I could recognize myself in the movie. Agnes' parents were masterfully portrayed. Her mother was just that too caring and annoying. Her father was the "American" voice of reason, but the way Agnes reacted to him was IMO realistic. I loved the movie, and thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have been wasting my time at 5am writing about it. That's probably the greatest compliment I can give it. I think I've fallen in love with the protagonists. :-) Neuf points. Not many movies make my cry -and- laugh at he same time. This one did.