NativeTexan

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Loud, confused, and worst of all, BORING entry in the series., 8 February 2010

Did someone fall in a hole, suffer a concussion, and then write this episode? Horrible doesn't quite begin to describe it. My husband and I kept looking at each other and saying "It's Morse; surely it will improve." But it didn't. It simply got LOUDER and MORE BORING. Teenagers don't have to be stupid, but all the ones portrayed here certainly were. Britain definitely looks like it's on a permanent downhill slide. Even more frightening were the ghastly schools, classes, and ineffectual parental and adult influences. Parents who are afraid to control and discipline their children and who don't even have the balls to make them turn down their music shouldn't be surprised when their children do drugs, sneak out, disobey, and finally kill themselves either by accident or on purpose. If you haven't wasted a couple of hours watching this episode, consider yourself fortunate.

Mame (1974)
Horrible, Horribler, Horriblest, 13 May 2007

This movie was so awful, so boring, so badly miscast -- it took a lot of work to make what should have been a sure thing into such a travesty. I love Lucille Ball, but she absolutely stunk in this movie. Too old, couldn't sing, sounded like a truck dumping gravel even when NOT singing -- and the biggest sin of all -- SHE WASN'T FUNNY. EVEN A LITTLE. The studio shot themselves in the foot with this one, and for ruining what should have been a fabulous screen version of a fabulous stage musical, some other body parts deserve to have been wounded as well -- or perhaps they were already lacking those parts. That might explain it. But for Lucy to think she was right for a part that required SINGING -- well, that's the saddest thing of all. It's a very good thing to know your limitations. Even a legend can't come out of a stinker like this and still smell like a rose.

The Hilarious 1958 Academy Award Winning Cartoon!, 21 October 2006

Well, I guess even Academy Award winning cartoons can't please everybody, but the gentleman from Tucson who thought this was "good but not great" is dead wrong! True, the animation is not the quality of the Golden Age of Cartoons, but this cartoon ISN'T about the animation. The script and the characters are by turns dry, witty, uproariously funny, and finally fall-down hilarious. Bill Thompson deserved his own Oscar for voicing both Droopy and Butch -- talk about two extremes! And keeping Knight Butchalot's Irish accent was a touch of comic genius. Even though this was a Droopy cartoon, the Dragon steals the show with his utter disdain and complete disregard of Sir Droopalot as an adversary, shunting him aside in hilarious ways and giving all his attention to the macho Sir Buchalot. This is a truly great cartoon that lives up to its Oscar win!

Wimbledon (2004)
Paul Bettany makes this a winning movie., 22 December 2004

Paul Bettany is perfect in his role, and delivers his self-effacing and ironical lines better than any Englishman since Michael Caine. He isn't classically handsome, yet you can't take your eyes off him. Whatever the camera loves, he's got. Kirstin Dunst continues to get roles she's not right for, yet carry them off by sheer self-confidence and forthrightness. She's not pretty, her figure is utterly ordinary, and she certainly isn't built like an athlete. She doesn't even look like she works out. And there's no subtlety in her performance -- maybe that's the directors fault, but her one-dimensional portrayal has all the mystery of drywall. Whichever it is, Mr. Bettany's charm and ease help soften her one-note approach to her role. Sam Neill, a brilliant and completely lovable actor, is totally wasted in this role.

Miriam Hopkins' performance is what makes this a pleasure to watch., 12 December 2004

Miriam Hopkins is always a delight to watch, and she holds this film together. Sympathetic and patient without appearing as a boring "long-suffering" martyr, she keeps this film from being a total downer and disaster. I wouldn't even watch if it weren't for Miriam. She was a wonderful and versatile actress, and deserved to be remembered and revered, but for some reason Hollywood has not celebrated her as she deserved. I found her acting in this film to be completely realistic, charming and true; Bette appears to be stylized, stiff, and her interpretation is actually rather boring. Miriam makes Bette look good in this film, not the other way around.

a"10" but with reservations., 7 June 2004

FIRST, this is a wonderful film and well-acted; the little kids of the first films were wonderful actors then and even better now. The time flew by and I didn't feel I'd been there but a little bit because the story flows so well.

SECOND, it left too much out. Quidditch is the love of Harry's life and Griffyndor finally wins the Quidditch Cup this year which is a huge and joyous occasion, but it's not even mentioned. Dumbledore is fun and perfect, but too-seldom seen, as are McGonagall and Snape. Even Hagrid is barely around.

THIRD, Rupert Grint was vastly underused. I kept seeing two of The Trio together, but not as much the triumvirate as they are written by Rowling.

FOURTH, it is NOT a better film than the first two which were directed by Chris Columbus. His films were perfect matches for the first two books. After seeing PoA and having time to consider it, I actually think the first two films are better.

FIFTH, it's still a wonderful film and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

SIXTH, I hope Chris Columbus comes back to direct the the last two.

Hidalgo (2004)
Courage, heart, greatness -- and it's true!, 7 April 2004

This story made me cry more than once because it connected with what I know about the courage of the little mustangs. I was thrilled to see Frank Hopkins and Hidalgo honored with this movie, having read about them in some of (I think) Frank J. Dobie's works when I was young. Viggo Mortensen and the lovely painthorse playing Hidalgo had chemistry, and I was impressed with Mortensen's riding -- like he was a part of Hidalgo. The smooth way he rode, without extraneous movement, is something difficult to achieve; you have to have balance and strength to ride like that.

It is an outrage, however, that the mustangs are still slaughtered, starved, and unappreciated for their beauty, strengths, and brains. You won't find a smarter, more courageous, or loyal horse anywhere.

Beautiful San Antonio, 31 January 2004

Jane Withers is wonderful and funny, as always. You never doubt for a moment that she'll wind up being the girl everyone loves. The location for filming is the famous San Antonio High School, voted one of the Most Beautiful High Schools in America back in '30s or '40s. It still exists, and is still beautiful, an architectural marvel!

Even funnier because it's true!, 4 January 2004

Wonderful film from the autobiographical novel by Cornelia Otis Skinner, and all the more hilarious because those crazy things happened to the real Cornelia. Gail Russell and Diana Lynn are perfect as the real-life friends Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough. A habit-forming film about a sweeter, more innocent age when two young girls were allowed to spend a summer in Europe, more or less unchaperoned.

The greatest comedy team ever takes sail!, 31 December 2003

Abbot and Costello, Without question the greatest comedy team ever, take no prisoners in this mix of Treasure Island, Captain Kidd, Mutiny on the Bounty, Kidnapped! and a few other maritime classics. Oscar-winner Charles Laughton, most of whose roles were comedic in the well-bred English way (not the music hall way!) had no qualms about working with the great Abbot and Costello in this hilarious homage to all those pictures about sailing on the high seas.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]