jellyneckr

Page 3 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Delivers what is to be expected from a Transporter film, 17 January 2016

If there has been one action franchise in the past decade that has gone criminally under-appreciated, it's the Transporter series. While never gigantic hits at the box office, the series has continually made just enough to justify producers keeping it going. The previous three Transporter movies (and to a lesser extent, "The Transporter" television series) have all been stylish and entertaining, and best of all, knowingly tongue-in-cheek. The first Transporter movie will always remain the best, but subsequent sequels, even with their many faults, have still been amusing and had their moments.

I guess that's why I find the apparent hate for Transporter Refueled somewhat undeserved. It feels exactly like what a Transporter movie should be. Despite having a different actor as Frank Martin, the tone remains the same. Thematically and stylistically a lot of the film is very similar to the previous films, but I don't see that as a problem. With The Transporter Refueled, I got exactly what I expected out of the movie, no more and no less. To me, nothing other than the lead actor is a significant departure from from a typical Transporter flick. There are well shot car chases aplenty, gunfights, hand-to-hand combat, beautiful women in almost every scene, some good jokes, some great cinematography, and a solid score. Most importantly, the character of Frank Martin remains consistent. He's still pretty much the perfect action hero: a flawless driver, an expert fighter, and total ladies man. The character is the embodiment of cool, and is always fun to watch on the big screen.

The flaws of The Transporter Refueled are very apparent. The script isn't fantastic. The story has holes in it for sure. Additionally, some of action scenes are definitely over-edited, and the some of the cutting to get the all-important PG-13 rating is super obvious. These problems weigh the movie down at times, yet these are the same problems that have plagued every single Transporter film. The only real difference between this one and the others is lack of Jason Statham. Ed Skrein is no Jason Statham, but there's no one in Hollywood like Jason Statham. No one was ever going to match Statham's level of charisma. That said, for what he had to do and knowing he had big shoes to fill, Ed Skrein makes for a good replacement as Frank Martin. His chemistry with Ray Stevenson is the probably the best part of the film, and their father/son banter is something I hope is carried over if there future sequels (though based on the poor box office, I highly doubt there will be).

The Transporter Refueled isn't going to win any big awards. It's not going to re-energize the franchise the way Luc Besson had hoped it would. It's not going alter how anyone feels about action cinema. However, for fans of the Transporter series like myself, it will entertain. I've seen it twice now, and both times I enjoyed it from beginning to end, despite its faults and stupidity. Even without the presence of Jason Statham, The Transporter Refueled is a satisfying entry in the franchise. Recommended. 6/10

Creed (2015)
Best film of 2015, 14 January 2016

By all accounts, the Rocky series came to a satisfying conclusion with 2006's Rocky Balboa. Critics called the film one of the best in the series, there was a higher box office total than one should have expected, and fans (myself included) were, for the most part, generally happy with the picture as a final chapter. When Creed was announced, it seemed likely that the final product would be little more than a cash crab, or a desperate attempt to bring back a series best left in the past.

To almost everyone's surprise, Creed is just as great, if not even better, than Rocky Balboa. It may even be the best in the series. If nothing else, Creed is, without a doubt, the best seventh installment of any film series. Everything from the writing to the production design is impressive, made with love and care for a franchise that is almost 40 years old at this point. It would have been easy for co-writer/director Ryan Coogler to essentially remake the first Rocky with a new character, but he's too smart to just shoot a lazy sequel. Creed may share a few story beats from the original Rocky here and there, although 90% of the film is an original boxing story that just happens to feature Stallone as an aging, tired Rocky Balboa.

Stallone gets a lot of criticism for some of his acting and career choices, and some of it may occasionally be justified but there's nothing to criticize in Creed. Stallone is as impressive here as he's ever been, delivering an absolutely knockout performance as the legend who has seen almost everything good in his life disappear. It is a sad, at times beautiful performance that makes Rocky feel like a more realistic character than ever before. Stallone has nice chemistry with Michael B. Jordan, playing Adonis Creed, Apollo's son. Even taking a backseat as a supporting character, Stallone could have completely overshadowed Jordan--it is, after all, still a Rocky movie--but both share the screen and are electrifying to watch together. Jordan has to display a wide arrange of emotions throughout: sadness, anger, grief, and they are done in such a way that he always remains a sympathetic character even when he's being a less than likable guy.

Creed is so great that the only real disappointment is that it doesn't run slightly longer, which is something that I never say about a film. It's an amazing accomplishment from such a young director, and an absolute delight for anyone who has ever been a Rocky fan. Creed is by far the best movie to have come out in 2015. 9/10

Most memorable Christmas comedy of the past decade, 29 December 2015

When A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas was originally released four years ago, I was kind of disappointed with it. Being a huge fan of the first movie and having enjoyed the second one well enough, I had surprisingly high hopes for this one given that it was an R-rated Christmas comedy, something that is not particularly common. Upon first viewing, I was left with the feeling that the movie was just more of the same. Harold has to stand up for himself again. Harold and Kumar get chased again by guys who are after them. Harold and Kumar run into Neil Patrick Harris again. I laughed enough, but I didn't think the film was anywhere near as funny as the first two.

Having now seen the movie a few more times since,I can't say that all the repetition bothers me anymore. Yes, the repetition some of the repetition is obvious and unnecessary, but not nearly to the degree of 90% of other sequels. Truly, the one real major story problem in the movie is that for a film with Harold & Kumar in the title, the duo spends a bit too much time apart in the first act. The focus on Harold and Kumar's respective roommates is a little frustrating at times, especially considering how intentionally annoying the roommate characters are. When Harold and Kumar do finally reunite, the film really picks up speed, and remains quite consistently entertaining throughout with lots of memorable moments. Some of the highlights of the highlights include Jake Johnson as Jesus, the claymation freak-out sequence, and any scene with Wafflebot, maybe one of the dumbest yet funniest things ever captured on film. There's such a great energy to the proceedings that even when a scene isn't laugh-out-loud hilarious, it's always pleasant/enjoyable to watch.

One of the more interesting aspects of each Harold and Kumar entry is how different the tones of each installment seem to be. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, while featuring a scene in which the title characters ride a cheetah, was fairly realistic for most of its running time. Harold & Kumar Escape Guantanmo Bay was pretty much a full-blown cartoon, and over-the-top to a fault. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas has perhaps the most interesting tone of the trilogy. The film takes Harold and Kumar's friendship seriously with real heart, yet at the same time has fantastical elements, such the inclusion of Santa in the finale. Despite all the raunchy elements and occasional comic gore, the tone genuinely seems to capture the tone of an old holiday special, one that is definitely not for children. The tone of this movie alone makes it fairly unique as I can't think of any other comedy with a similar feeling to it.

Obviously one of the main selling point was that it was originally presented in 3D. There are few comedies that are in 3D, and I must admit that the 3D was the best part of seeing the film in theaters. The filmmakers obviously had a blast making fun of the gimmick of 3D while exploiting its very nature. Some of this is quite funny. The Bobby Lee scene alone always makes me laugh more than it probably should. Occasionally though, the 3D technique comes off as distracting at times when watched in standard format. This doesn't destroy any scenes entirely, but it does stick out like a sore thumb on a handful of occasions. The overall film itself at least has a distinct visual style even without the 3D aspect, which also helps gives the stoner sequel more atmosphere than the lowbrow material probably deserves.

I highly doubt there will ever been another Harold & Kumar flick as John Cho and Kal Penn are both probably too old to play these characters, not that such a fact would stop me from wanting to see a fourth installment. Cho and Penn have made Harold & Kumar the best comedic duo of the modern era As a final chapter for the characters, A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas is a satisfying conclusion, and is the most memorable Christmas comedy of the past decade. 7/10

Pixels (2015)
A dumb, fun comedy, 12 December 2015

Pixels will perhaps best be remembered for being one of the biggest flops of 2015. While not as big a money-loser as something like Fantastic Four, it nonetheless didn't gross what it was expected to in the U.S., and therefore has a bit of a stigma attached to it. This is quite a shame, since Pixels is absolutely one of the better Happy Madison productions to be put out in the last decade. I'm not going to argue that Pixels is a masterpiece, or even anything close to being a great movie, but Pixels is, if nothing else, simply lots of fun.

Pixels is a film that shouldn't even really appeal to me. I don't play video games, and I'm pretty much completely unaware of the history of any games past or present. As a result, I'm sure there are tons of video game references that I missed out on since I don't play video games, yet it never stopped me from enjoying the movie. Director Chris Columbus, who put together one of the best casts ever with Home Alone, fills the film with enough stars and solid actors that I was able to forgive the fact that the premise is beyond stupid. Columbus even manages to get what is probably a career best performance out of Kevin James as the president of the United States, who may or may not have been modeled after Chris Christie. Peter Dinklage, Josh Gad, and Michelle Monaghan are great in supporting roles that easily could have been nothing characters. Brian Cox and Sean Bean, known more for their dramatic work, have enjoyable small parts here. But, as expected, the real star of Pixels is Adam Sandler, which is the real reason this film has been dumped upon so heavily by critics.

If Pixels had starred almost anyone else other than Sandler, it would have received more positive reviews. For whatever reason, Sandler attracts the worst kind of venom from critics, more so than any other modern day movie star. In Pixels, Sandler is Sandler, which for some people might seem torturous, but was great for me since I love him. As per usual, Sandler plays an underachiever who could do a lot more with his life, though he's not much of a man-child like he is in most of his other flicks. Being the star of the film, Sandler gets the very best lines and most amount of screen time, yet this doesn't feel like a vanity project. Everyone in the cast gets to have their moments. Even with everyone in the cast getting to have key moments, the movie never feels overstuffed. Chris Columbus keeps the comedy and rhythm moving at a smooth pace. Not every joke hits, though even if I wasn't laughing out loud at a scene, the movie was always pleasant to watch.

I can't deny that Pixels is dumb. However, the movie is about as good as any movie about aliens disguised as video game characters attacking Earth could have been. This easily could have become an over-budget mess filled with just non-stop destruction and noise. The fact that it works at all is somewhat miraculous. Pixels may find more of an audience on DVD, and will perhaps be viewed more favorably in a few years. The film is certainly way better than its current reputation as a complete dud. Recommended to Sandler fans. 7/10

Perfect for fans, 3 December 2015

As a huge Tim Meadows fan and a fan of "Saturday Night Live" in general, I've been looking for a copy of Saturday Night Live: The Best of Tim Meadows for a very long time. The 70-minute special, which aired on NBC in 2000 but was only ever released on VHS, has been quite hard to find. After finally finding a cheap copy last weekend, I was finally able to sit back and enjoy the compilation. It did not disappoint.

For fans of Tim Meadows, this is about as good of a 'Best of" one could expect. It's appropriate that the first sketch on the special is a Ladies Man sketch, since Leon Phelps is the most famous, and most hilarious, character Meadows portrayed during his tenure on "Saturday Night Live." The producers of 'The Best of Tim Meadows' could have easily filled the special with a number of Leon Phelps sketches, but there are only two included here, and they are two of the very best. Other highlights include the "Princess and the Homeboy" (a great "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air parody featuring Terri Hatcher), a "Taxicab Confessions" sketch starring Christina Ricci with Meadows as a understandably distracted cab driver, and the Eager & Jones sketch with Meadows and Chris Farley as singers. To me, there's not a single bad sketch in bunch. Some sketches are better than others, though there isn't one that's difficult to sit through.

The only downside to Saturday Night Live: The Best of Tim Meadows is one that plagues a bunch of SNL compilations, which is that there's the occasional sketch that's presented in truncated form. Context is everything in comedy, and by presenting only a few seconds to a minute of a sketch, the overall impact of certain jokes seems to be lost in certain instances. I understand why sketches are edited down for time constraint reasons when aired on NBC; however, they could have been presented uncut for the home video release. It would have also been nice to see such sketches as "The Princess and the Homeboy" uncensored without the annoying bleeps, but the sketch itself is funny enough as is.

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Tim Meadows is not one of the more popular SNL specials available out there, which explains why it has yet to be released to DVD some fifteen years after its original airing. For fans of Tim Meadows or SNL in the 1990s though, this is definitely worth tracking down. Watching this made me laugh as hard as I've laughed all year. Highly recommended. 9/10

Decent time waster, 16 November 2015

Although I'm not a huge video game fan, I've more often than not found myself enjoying video game film adaptations. Movies like Mortal Kombat and the 2007 adaptation of Hit-man may not be high art, but they do hold up upon repeated viewing as fairly entertaining action pics. Still, I've never played the video game series on which Hit-man is based and the late summer release date didn't sound promising, so my expectations were somewhat low going into the theater for this one. However, as the movie started, I was initially pleasantly surprised. The first fifteen minutes of 'Agent 47' is just thrilling as anything out of any action movie this year. Rupert Friend is wonderfully intense as Agent 47, and his introduction is a great way to bring the reveal the audience to the character. Friend doesn't seem like some actor playing tough that shaved his head for a part. He is actually an intimidating presence on screen. The opening shoot-out with Agent 47, almost perfectly choreographed, is not only a lot of fun but imaginative and intense as well. The film continues on an interesting path as Hannah Ware is introduced as the film's heroine. There's just as much mystery about her character as there is about Agent 47. Through all of this, I was surprisingly engaged in the story, a rare occurrence when watching a video game adaptation.

Unfortunately, after the introduction of Zachary Quinto's character, the movie slowly becomes increasingly dumber. That's not a knock against Quinto as he is fine here, but his introduction signals a tonal shift from which the movie never fully recovers. The aura of mystery that has thus far carried the film largely disappears, turning a large portion of the film into a series of chases with various characters trying to outrun each other. While that sounds like it could make for a great action picture, a lot of it just isn't very interesting, due in large part to the fact that the writing gets downright stupid. Characters make horrendously idiotic moves like leaving loaded weapons on interrogation room tables, and taking midnight swims alone while knowingly being hunted.

Some of the bad writing would be more forgivable if the tone was slightly less dull. Everyone involved with the film had to have known this was going to be only slightly above a B-movie, but, for whatever reason, the film takes itself a bit more seriously than any video games movie probably should. When the movie recognizes it can have humor, like during the hotel room shoot-out or the subsequent elevator scene, there is a great sense of fun that is missing for far too much of the film's surprisingly short running time. In all fairness, most of the action is pretty well shot and exciting enough, even if the overall pacing seems rushed. As a summer action movie, 'Agent 47' is worth at least one viewing; I just suspect there might have been a better, longer cut at some point. The ending is something of a cliffhanger, although there definitely won't be a sequel based on the poor box office.

Through the good and the bad of 'Agent 47', both Rupert Friend and Hannah Ware remain solid as performers. They give better performances than most actors could give with this particular script. With a better story, this could have been one of the better action films of the year. As it is, the movie should make an OK rental as a decent time waster for fans of action flicks, or fans of any of the lead actors. 5.5/10

Best horror comedy of the year!, 1 November 2015

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse could have easily been been the worst film of the year. With a potentially one-joke premise and a fairly low budget, it's very easy to picture the worst possible version of this movie; one filled with Syfy Channel level special effects and annoying teenage protagonists. Fortunately, in the hands of director Christopher Landon and an all around solid cast, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse is not only a thoroughly enjoyable little horror-comedy, it's also one of the more entertaining zombie pictures of the past decade. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting to be blown away going into the theater, but this is probably the surprise of the year in terms of a film exceeding my expectations. This isn't the Citizen Kane of horror comedies, though it's certainly far better than the trailers and somewhat limited release may indicate, and it's never boring to sit through.

Obviously a key component to a zombie picture is how good or bad the special effects and zombie make-up look on screen. Recently, zombie movies, and horror films in general, have been filled with really terrible-looking CG blood that is more laughable than effective. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse doesn't look like an expensive affair, yet at the same time it never looks particularly cheap either. All the zombie make-up and effects are fairly well done, look cool, and are never so disgusting that they kill the overall comedic tone, something that is always a risk when blending gore and humor. It should be noted that the zombie action scenes are well shot. Christopher Landon thankfully doesn't rely on shaky cam, quick cuts, or other tired genre trends of the past few years. Without resorting to gimmicks, everything is stylish enough that one doesn't ever wish the movie had a bigger budget while watching it.

While all the zombie action is fun and exciting, the movie is really elevated by its cast. The script itself is filled with juvenile jokes/dialogue coming out of the mouths of teenagers, so the characters could have been insufferable if not played by good actors. Tye Sheridan, Logan Miller, and Joey Morgan as the scouts are real finds, sharing great chemistry together with nice comedic timing. Sarah Dumont, in a role that could have been just eye candy, is the standout as the tough, swearing cocktail waitress who knows how to use a shotgun. It helps that she gets all the best lines. In bit parts, Blake Anderson and David Koechner are their usual reliable selves and bring the laughs. There's not a bad performance in the cast, which is something that can't often be said about a horror movie.

I don't know if Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse will hold up upon repeat viewings. I laughed out loud a lot at jokes I didn't see coming, so it's possible the film won't be as great the second time around. Based on the poor box office performance, there definitely will not be a sequel, although I would absolutely love to see a sequel. For those who don't mind juvenile humor or a little gore, I highly recommend this one. 8/10

A must see for film fans!, 29 September 2015

Cannon Films is arguably the most notorious film company of all time. At the height of its popularity in the 1980s, Cannon was responsible for some of the most ridiculous, cheap- looking, and occasionally most downright bizarre movies to ever hit cinemas. Regardless of whether these films were good or bad, there was one thing a Cannon film never was: boring. No matter what the genre, a Cannon film was always, at the very least, fascinating in one way or another. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, as the title suggests, is an endlessly entertaining documentary that chronicles the company's humble beginnings, its brief partnership with MGM, its infamous flops (Superman IV: The Quest for Peace being the highest profile failure), and its ultimate demise. Just like a real Cannon film, there is almost never a dull moment in the entire picture. The celebrities interviewed for the documentary provide great insight into what it was like working for Cannon, and the deeper into the history of Cannon the film gets, the more mesmerizing the story becomes. Bo Derek, Alex Winter, Dolph Lundgren, Sybil Daning, Cassandra Peterson, and Molly Ringwald are just a few of the famous faces to pop up and speak of their experiences on Cannon sets, and every one of them has highly entertaining stories to tell. From start to finish, Electric Boogaloo is an absolute blast. The tone is never too serious, even when dealing with the occasional dark subject matter. The editing is tight with just the right amount of Cannon film clips scattered throughout. This could have been nothing more than a Cannon highlight reel, but instead it feels like a real movie. The only downside to "Electric Boogaloo' is that, even at healthy 105 minutes, it could have been longer, and I would have been happy to keep watching. This documentary is made for a very specific type of audience, one that is obsessed with cult films, and for those people, it's a real treat. For film fanatics, this really is a must-see. Highly recommended. 9/10

Clerks. (1995) (TV)
Not as bad as its reputation, but not good either, 11 August 2015

I've been waiting to see the infamous live-action Clerks pilot since I found out it existed about fifteen years ago. After years of waiting, I finally got around to watching it tonight, and really, there isn't much to say about it. It's exactly what it's been described as: a PG-rated, clean version of Clerks that plays like it would air next to a "Saved By the Bell" spin-off.

Shot in 1995 after the success of the film of the same name, this 22-minute unaired sitcom pilot looks just about as cheap as the black and white movie that inspired it. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a production looking cheap as long as it's still good. The movie version of Clerks was cheap, but it was also one of the funniest films of all time so its ultra low budget didn't hurt it at all. Here, every scene obviously takes place on really unimpressive sets that seem like they were leftover from some 1980s sitcom and hadn't been used for years. This wouldn't be a problem if this pilot was even half as funny or entertaining as the flick that inspired it, but that's sadly not the case. I chuckled here and there at some of the sitcom-ish banter, though the only real strong laughs I got out of this came from Randal (here played by Jim Breuer) giving away the endings of every movie a customer tries to rent. It's not a particularly great scene, but it's the best scene in the whole production simply because it actually seems like it takes place in the same universe as the movie. Randal is acting like Randal. In that one brief moment, one could see what a good version of a live-action Clerks series could have looked like if there was strong effort put behind it. The only other time the pilot has any sort of real resemblance to the film is during the ending credits sequence when Soul Asylum's "Can't Even Tell" is played over black and white surveillance footage.

The most impressive aspect of this is the cast that would go on to do better work. Jim Breuer would go on to be quite good on SNL and star in the cult classic Half Baked. Keri Russell would go on to do "Felicity" and "The Americans". Rick Gomez would go on to being one of the best parts of "Justified" and become a great character actor in general. It's honestly a bit surprising how long this has stayed hidden given how many recognizable faces are in it. I don't think anyone in the cast here are bad actors. They were just given really safe, watered down material that they couldn't do much with. Andrew Lowery made for an acceptable Dante and Noelle Parker (from Ernest Saves Christmas) worked pretty well as Veronica. The truth is the only people that might have possibly been able to save this were the original cast members from the film, although there was no way ABC would have given them the parts.

Obviously the Clerks pilot is pretty bad, although I can't deny I still enjoyed watching it and was never bored by it. I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say this isn't absolutely unwatchable. From how Kevin Smith and the cast of the film described this, I expected it to be the worst pilot ever. It's far from that. I wouldn't recommend it to Clerks fans, but I would recommend it to people that get enjoyment out of bad sitcoms. 3/10

A must see for Farley fans, 11 August 2015

Growing up, there was no actor that I loved more than Chris Farley. I watched Tommy Boy and Black Sheep more times than I can count, and I was probably the only person who loved Beverly Hills Ninja when it came out, seeing it twice in the theater. Even today, I can watch any movie with Chris Farley at any time and still laugh out loud. And while some of Farley's movies don't hold up as well as others (the aforementioned Beverly Hills Ninja is downright embarrassing at times), it's still always a treat to watch Farley's performances over again. I Am Chris Farley was made for hardcore Farley fans like myself. It's a movie made by those closest to Farley for people who grew up with, or were influenced by, the comedy legend.

From the opening scenes, it's fairly obvious that I Am Chris Farley is a biased film. As the film is executive produced by Kevin Farley, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise. With this in mind, I Am Chris Farley is best viewed as a tribute film to Farley rather than a fully detailed, definitive documentary. Almost everybody interviewed pretty much concedes that they think Farley was one of the funniest, sweetest people who ever lived. If I remember correctly, Mike Myers is the only person who even brings up having an argument/fight with Farley at any time (although fights between Farley and David Spade are brought up by other people). There is nothing inherently wrong with presenting Farley in such a positive light, but it also seemingly makes the one sidedness of the whole thing quite transparent at times. Farley's alcoholism is discussed several times, although explicit discussion of his use of hard drugs is skimmed over almost entirely. This fact is obvious and distracting at times, but it is also understandable given how upset friends like Adam Sandler, Bob Saget, and Tom Arnold appear when talking about the darker aspects of Farley's life towards the end. Sandler, Saget, and Arnold give incredibly insightful and powerful interviews. Out of everyone, these are three that seem the most vulnerable on screen. This is especially true of Arnold who comes across as the most introspective, sympathetic, and relateable out of anyone interviewed in the whole film. It's a bit surprising that there isn't more focus on David Spade given how close they were, but between his interview segments and the multiple clips from Tommy Boy and Black Sheep, the bond between Farley and Spade is still strongly represented in the film.

I Am Chris Farley is very, very clip heavy. There are a great number of clips from Farley's most famous SNL sketches, his appearances on David Letterman's show, and video footage of him performing at Second City. While this might be annoying in other documentaries, it's never particularly bothersome here. Almost all the clips show Farley at his best, demonstrating what a unique and interesting talent he was. There are nitpicks that I could make about how Almost Heroes and Dirty Work clips are missing, or how there is slightly too much of this or that, though ultimately it doesn't matter as the final credits roll. I could have watched a four-hour documentary on Farley and still been glued to the screen. I Am Chris Farley is a 94-minute tribute that does what it sets out to do, and does it extremely well. While not perfect, this is the best movie about Farley that fans are likely to ever get. 8.5/10