buiredintime

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Into darkness where only the bold will go, 15 May 2013

Man what a few years of waiting can do to a person. Since Star Trek was rebooted to fun fan reaction and impressive box office numbers, we've waited for sometime 4 years to be exact to get a sequel. Well not only do we get a fully engaging sequel that manages to outpace and out excite the original, but we also get a movie that feels straight on like a Star Trek movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness tells the tale of James Kirk (Chris Pine), a man who feels that the rules of starfleet are and can be broken if it comes in the effort to keep his crew alive. When his last mission causes his immediate dismissal of his command of the Enterprise thanks to a report by Spock (Zachary Quinto), it sets into motion the idea of the basis of the story which ask "What would you be willing if confronted with your own end and how far would you go to protect your crew?".

This question plays off on the main story revolving around John Harrison (Bernedict Cumberbatch), who has as it seems on the surface taken an all out single war against the federation and with the echoes of 9/11 and the Boston Bombings hits closer to home with a lot of us.

What comes from there is a trek to the Klingon world of Kronos to apprehend Harrison after one of Kirks inspiration is killed. Form the moment Harrison is captured, the game is on.

This is a movie to me that does it all, it excites, it causes emotion and is one heck of a pretty looking movie (thanks to really well done CGI, thanks in part to ILM). It's the kind of movie that you go into knowing it looks good and then realizing that it delivers in spades thanks to all the cogs working together.

I give props to J.J. Abrams and the Writers for upping the ante and giving nods to earlier trek movies. This is a movie of the highest order and one of the best of the year.

The Roaring Twenties old sport, 14 May 2013

Yes this movie wasn't really a surprise to me, more of a oh it's another Baz Lurman film. One that seems to take all the kinetic energy and throw it in your face with a cannon. It's a movie like Speed racer that is full of high octane energy and cg on over drive. What makes this movie so well done and so interesting is it's take on the source material. The Story is well known and has been read by more people than seem to live on this planet. If you don't know well it's the story of one mans obsession to get back the woman he left behind and still longs for and the effects on the world around both of them. Now I haven't read the book, luckily it wasn't a required reading for me but I can see why this book is so well revered. It takes a topic like long lost lovers and throws in the roaring 20's and all that jazz. It makes you realize that even though the world around us changes, we all yearn for that someone and cling onto that perfect on the outside high culture figure. Whether it be Justin Bieber or Elvis or the Beatles or Hugh Hefner or Great Gatsby, all were loved and all were adored or still adored. It's in this fashion that I think Gatsby works well enough, it takes people that we can idolize and turns them against one another in glorious fashion. Now this isn't a perfect film and is extremely long for what is only a 160 page novel. It drags in spots, so much so that I was checking my phone. Some of the characters are great Dicaprio and Edgerton some are not (I'm looking at you Maguire). It doesn't mean there not good, just all not well cooked in the oven. With that though and with any Baz Lurman film, your going to get razzle dazzle and this movie does it well. It's fun to watch the drunken debauchery on the parties Gatsby throws and even fun to see New York Before a hell broke loose with the stock market crash. I think it would be fun to spend a day in this era of time. In the end The Great Gatsby is fun but not perfect. It's a movie that I enjoyed but won't see again.

In life Speed and Family are the two best things, 14 May 2013

From the first frame of Fast and Furious 6 we realize that this is not really about a movie about heist and car chases (well okay it has this); no this is a movie about the depths you will go and the willingness to do whatever you can to protect family. Leaving off where Fast five left off, most of the characters are off on there, whether it be hanging in Tokyo, flying pretty ladies to manacu to making people feel low about there rough life to a new baby being born, the crew is in hiding and living the life abroad. It's at the point that the plot ramps up and we get a Dom Terretto going after a would be thief Owen Shaw ( a new type of villain) and trying to save the somehow resurrected Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) who has joined Shaw in his wanting to take over the world. Bring most people back from the Fast Five and you got yourself a movie. This movie isn't what I call the most coherent, it has issues and Owen Shaw's character is kind of one note, but this isn't the type of movie that you need to worry about great story. It's the type of movie that you go to watch and have fun , and watch the unbelievable happen. Everyone In this movie looks like there comfortable being there and seem to be having fun. It's what I would call an audience movie, the type of movie that feels In sync enough that everyone's on board There are plenty of laughs thanks to Tyrese and plenty of drama thanks to Toretto and Brian's relationship and history in the series. They pull together to do the subject justice. I don't want to spoil anything but this movie does lead up to a point that all the films finally have a connecting tissue and what you thought you knew with the bonus scene at the end will lead into an interesting 7th film. Lets just hope James Wan doesn't ruin the good will this series has gained.

Tries to reach new heights but..., 20 December 2012

This movie tries to reach new heights but It sadly doesn't come close to it. After last years resurgence of Tom Cruise thanks in part to Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Paramount decided to take a script written by Christopher Mcquarrie and run with it, giving Tom Cruise the new term December's king. Thus Jack Reacher is released and suffice it to say two lightning in a bottles is not possible. First lets say that some of the action in this movie is fun, and entertaining but for the most part this is not an action movie, but a center piece on letting Tom Cruise play and outsmart the people that he goes after. It's not to say this is a bad movie, just not a very good one. The plot feels plodding, most of the characters seem wooden or are left with not much to do and the twist are so easy to figure out and so sloppily placed that it runs down a movie that should and could've been something unique and possibly fresh. Now I must note that this film, within the first 5 min sets up a scenario, due to recent events, might hit a little uncomfortable in the chest. Be warned that it will probably bother you a little like it did it's just coincidence and know that paramount is handling this movie the best way they can, with there marketing. From that I would recommend seeing this if you want a throw away movie, don't expect to see logic or excellent character study in this movie. What you get is a run of the mill, movie that tries to ape last years success with Tom Cruise.

Rob Zombie presents his own fritz the cat., 11 September 2009

Okay we all know Rob Zombie and the way he films, it's all about the uneasiness of the situation, the excessiveness of it all whether it be extreme amounts of gore, language, nudity, fast paced cuts and over the top acting. It's nothing new going into the Haunted world of el superbeasto to think it would be anything different, I knew the moment I heard Zombie was going to do an animated film that he in fact was going for Cool World meets Fritz the cat. The man obviously loves his Woman in seductive form and he loves his exploitation turned to 11. Of course Haunted world is no different.

Now I won't sugar coat the movie, it's graphic, as graphic a comic movie I've ever seen, boobs pop up everywhere, people mutilate themselves and are killed in graphic ways, there's sexual situations at every turn and language so course that it would make a sailor curl in his boots. It's to be expected and to be honest it get's a little old after awhile. I don't understand why Zombie can't just tone it done a little. I know he's really into the horror aspect of it all but sometimes I think Zombie does it just to do it, it distracts from what could be a really cool Animated movie.

Now it's not all bad, in fact the acting is quite entertaining and good, especially Tom Papa as Superbeasto, he's so over the top it's hilarious. He plays a wrestler living a crazed strange world where his characters are all monsters and creatures outside of a few people. What makes the movie interesting and fun is it does detour from his true horror genre, yes it has it's horror routes but the movie is so much different than what you've seen from Rob zombie, I say he should tone it down but the movie as a whole is somewhat fresh, it's somewhat funny thanks in part to Mr. Lawernce and Tom Papa in part writing the script. Instead of having Rob zombie write true cliché character, the characters here are different and entertaining. I especially like the new takes on some of Zombies movie characters like Dr. Satan, which in this movie is skinny, scrawny and has a pet ape and surprisingly is voiced by the most awesomeness Paul Giamatti. You also Spongebob himself Tom Kinny playing Otto the deranged father from Corpses, as well as Sid Haig playing Captain spaulding. Even though these characters are gruesome in the live action movies, there played with quite entertaining delight and goofiness in this movie. Heck they even threw in Rosario Dawson for good measure.

Now on the flipside the story plays a lot like a elongated TV series, being from Starz media I'm almost assuming that this will become a TV show in the future if it catches on. It doesn't make sense all the time and feels like it's too disjointed at some points where the story literally stops to show us some sexual situation or naked woman and man having sex. The story to me is probably it's weakest point, it's not all bad and can make you chuckle if you have a disturbed sense of humor such as myself but still it's like I said earlier, it's almost like Rob Zombie is paying homage to fritz the cat.

On one last note, I expected the film to almost have a Heavy metal feel, in that the animation would be disjointed and raw but instead we get something close in line to Osmosis Jones and Beavis and Butthead, it's slightly disjointed but it's not too extreme, it's just what it is. Trust me when I say it's very cool to look and very well drawn but it still could have used a slightly heavier disjointed feel.

Okay to summarize, out of all the Zombie films I've seen this is the better of the films, it doesn't mean it's all around great because it's not, it has problems, some more glaring than others but within all it's flaws the movie is still fun to watch and I would recommend it with only slight caution, if you get offended easily then be cautious otherwise I give it a 7/10.

Can The Dark Knight Really Be That Good, 16 July 2008

Absolutely, it's not only that good, but it changes the way of movies in a way no one sees coming. Heath Ledger is brilliant, and it's sad that he won't keep going on in his career. Aaron Eckhart is also brilliant and has been forgiven by me. The rest of the cast plays there parts including Gary Oldman who has actually done some of his best work in history. Christian Bale well he's Christian Bale enough said.

The movie itself is hand down one of the best of the year, maybe the decade. It pulls you down, gives you no rhyme or reason, and only at the very end do you see a little light.

Anyways enough of me, go see the movie, and expect to be changed.

WALL·E (2008)
Not only great, but a new plateau in animation, 27 June 2008

I can't say enough about how good this movie, that you probably haven't read, so I'm going to keep this short.

This is the best thing out there in theater's right now, and might just be the best animated film of all time, whether you believe that or not, is your own opinion, but what Pixar has done here, can put companies like Dreamworks, Sony, and Blue sky to shame.

Wall E also may go down as the most lovable character ever to grace the movie screen, I praise Ben Burtt and Andrew Stanton, and the people at Pixar for what they did, and will continue to do.

This is why Pixar is the top studio in the world.

You Don't Need Sugar To Get A Rush Out Of Speed Racer, 9 May 2008

Okay where to begin this movie is one of a kind. A what I have now classified as a new genre that i'm calling the acid & coke with out the acid & coke movie. Speed Racer is the first to be inducted into this movie.

It is downright pure adrenaline to the max, a movie that takes you on the drivers seat, and forces you to feel exhausted when your done. I'm not going to go into any story plot, because it's not why we go to movies like this. We go to see the action, and action for the most part is what we get. To the max is what I like to call. The racing in this movie is so unique it's original. It's never really been seen in the way it's displayed before.

You almost feel like your watching the cartoon as live action. I give credit to ILM I thought what they did with Iron man was incredible how life like Iron Man was I thought it was a leaps and bounds movie. Boy was I wrong this movie is the leaps and bounds that proves how truly good ILM is, and why they win the Oscar every year, but this movie takes special effects to a whole other level, there's nothing out there that at least I can see that has this amount of insane cgi. It makes the beginning and end battles of Episode 2 and 3 look quite tame. Trust me it has to be seen to believe.

On that note the movie does play very much like the cartoon with the wipe anime cuts, and the over excess use of vibrant colors. I'm actually reminded of the segment in the Twighlight Zone movie with the kid who creates a house, and a family with his imagination, and it's truly creepy. This is quite like that but on a acid trip gone to the max.

The acting is what it is camped up and sweet, this is a feel good movie with in incredible sense of self worth. If it weren't for people like John Goodman, Susan Sarrandon, Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci and even Matthew Fox (not playing Jack from lost this time) the movie wouldn't be believable in it's values. They Racer family is the perfect whole natural 50's television family, and they fill the parts real well.

I can't say the same about the script, which The Wachowski's have never been known to be very strong in, but they do excel in the same field as the likes of Robert Zemickis and George Lucas they try to push the envelope and try experimenting on ways to make the best look better, and that's where The Wachowski's get there marks, and what makes them unique.

Anyways that's enough of me.

Peace

Hmm and uhhh and woo hoo, 23 December 2007

I started wondering awhile back is it possible to laugh out loud I mean I see people do it, but I couldn't tell you from experience. Well I think I just found out thanks to the Mann Brothers and There film Glitter sorry I mean Uchuujin.

If you don't know the story It has to do with a man, A SALESMAN who is abducted by Aliens, and held captive for Five years. He is then beamed down to earth, and told that he shall be the next alien hunter let the craziness begin.

From the opening scene on a radio to the twisting of an ending it's a laugh out loud gross out, offensive funny movie. The Mann brother's make no qualms about there goal for the movie, and they present it with pizazz and well other objects.

I was actually really surprised by some of the characters in the movie most actually made me laugh out loud, and that doesn't happen very often.

I won't spoil to much for you because it needs to be seen to enjoy. I've give credit where credits do, and actually believe if promoted right could be a cult hit, But don't take it from me watch Blair Witch Project... I mean Uchuujin see for yourself if Torgo is as retarded as you think, and can Musashi save the world only Uchuujin will tell.

"Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street" Promises you the closest shave you've ever had, and means it., 23 December 2007

Okay I can't say enough on how brilliant of a movie this was if there ever was an adaption of a musical of this play this would be it. The acting is brilliant the set pieces and costuming and make up are fantastic and who the hell knew Hans Grueber a.k.a Alan Rickman could sing. On top of that it's one hell of a gory time. I think for a movie to succeed it needs great writing, and John Logan who wrote the screenplay did a fantastic job converting it over from Stephen Sondheim's play. Some of the best play moments are in here including Sacha Barren Cohens turn as Perrelli the french barbists who hides a secret until he learns that a shave can be a little to close for comfort.

Kudos to Johnny Depp and Helen Boham Carter for portraying such devilish characters, and praise Alan Rickman and Timonthy Sprall who give a new word to evilness. Two favorite moments Alan Rickman and Johnny Depps duet, and Helen Boaham Carter and Johnny Depps dream like number on the beach were Mrs. Lovett wishes to be together forever with Todd. Okay be warned though this movie is not I repeat not for the faint of heart it's brutally graphic and extremely bloody, but then again it's meant to be it's really satirical in a way.

Take if for what it's worth in this case see now.

Peace.