An enjoyable and inventive short film, 7 March 2000

This short is primarily a showcase for a young Louis Armstrong. The story line is very simple and has its witty moments and for its length is rather inventive. A prime example showing that you can tell a story with a beginning, middle and an end and don't need four hours of film to do so.

A fine ensemble performance by a winning cast, 24 February 2000

First of all, I saw this movie twice, which is a rarety in itself these days. The actors did what all actors should do in a successful motion picture, or stage play, and that is submit their own egos to the needs of the production. Matt Damon especially surprised me with his total devotion to the part of Ripley. Jude Law, once again, proved his talents as an actor by becoming Dickie Greenleaf. Paltrow and Blanchett also totally believed in whom they were playing and brought that to the screen. While I have been told that the movie is different than the book, I applaud Mingella for his tight script and seamless direction. Yet again, we are given a prime example that when violence grows out of a strong plot we, as an audience, accept it. There was not wasted motion or emotion in this film and I cannot say enough good things about it. I am surprised that the Academy so overlooked this film. Go see it.