waldorfsalad

MASH (1970)
An observation of idealized and failed masculinity, 9 June 2000

It's true that M*A*S*H is one of the great classics of our time and a very, very funny movie, but one thing's for sure, you won't see a movie like this made again in our politically correct times. The movie smacks of homophobia, sexism, racism and just plain mean-spiritedness. What's interesting is to see the examples of the idealized masculinity; Hawkeye and Trapper, and the failed masculinity; Frank Burns, Henry, and Radar. It's so clear-cut and could be one of the subliminal reasons why the movie has held up so well in people's minds, not only for Altman's brilliant direction and the pleasure of seeing Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland together. And it's certainly not the best work these two fine actors have ever done, it's their biggest grossing movie, let's not confuse the two. It spawned a great sit-com, and it's still fun to go back and see all those great favorite scenes, especially with Sally Kellerman who steals the movie from just about everyone.

Bugsy (1991)
Beauty with a Capital B, 9 June 2000

A big elegant movie, beautiful in every sense of the word, a fascinating story of the man who created Las Vegas and Warren Beatty is perfect in this movie. If you're not a huge fan of his, as I am not, you'll still appreciate the great talents of this star who is not necessarily known for his acting prowess. He is a joy to watch with the gorgeous Annette Bening Beatty. They have a great chemistry and all the actors involved were fantastic, there were many oscar nominations for all aspects of this film, acting, costumes, best film, best director, but when I saw that that Elliott Gould was not nominated for his wonderfully moving performance as Harry Greenberg, I was very surprised. Maybe it was just too small of a role. But it's a movie to be savoured and worth seeing on DVD, if anything just to appreciate the stunning photography.

Never get tired of it!!, 8 June 2000

Just saw it for the umpteenth time and it still is great fun to watch, I remember when it was released back in 1977 I went to see it about 8 times. It still takes my breath away with the car chases, crop-duster dives and the scorpion and rattlesnake scene, ewwww!!! James Brolin should have earned a million bucks for that role, all that he had to go through!! Elliott Gould is always a sight for sore eyes and in this movie he shines as the intrepid reporter. Mustn't forget the lovely Brenda Vacarro and Hal Holbrook as the evil head of the space program.

Just rent the video and you'll be happy you did!!

Johns (1996)
You can take it or leave it, 8 June 2000

Only if you're a David Arquette or Lukas Haas fan will you really enjoy this movie. In fact, Lukas is very well cast as the black sheep of the family turned male prostitute. It drags in places but I think director Scott Silver set out to capture the sordidness and lonliness of your average L.A. hustler, so in that case it's very believable. But the film does call for a long attention span. One of the best scenes, and oddly touching was with Elliot Gould, terrific as always, as the client drawn away from his tête à tête with John to handle his family man duties. But other than that, the film seems rather pointless and to call it "Midnight Cowboy for the 90's" is really hyping it.

A very compelling true-life murder case, 8 June 2000

This is the true story of the Woodman murders, the affluent parents of Stewart and Neil Woodman who have been sentenced to life imprisonment for hiring hit-men to commit their murders so as to collect the insurance money. The first half of this made-for-TV movie is quite riveting whereas the second half is more the story of the wife's valiant struggle to come to terms with the demise of her comfortable bourgeois existence. Not to mention the difficulty in raising three children whose own worlds have shattered after the arrest of their father. We can sympathize with Melody Woodman's plight, but I would have liked to see Mimi Rogers less afraid to look awful, it would have made her role more believable. Thanks to the fine young actors we root for the kids despite their spoiled rottenness. As Stewart Woodman, Elliott Gould plays him so well, we feel truly pained to see him as the broken man that his incarceration has left him. All the actors are good, and this is one of the better TV movies made from the waist-deep true life murder cases.

A film not to be overlooked, 7 June 2000

You're in for a lot of suspense with this one, I've never understood why this movie was not more widely seen, even though it is deservedly highly-regarded. The whole cast is terrific, above all the great Elliott Gould. Curtis Hanson's screenplay offers just the right twists at just the right moments and it all adds up to a very believable story. Don't miss it!!

A film not to be overlooked, 7 June 2000

S*P*Y*S (1974)
Too bad for the great comedians, 29 May 2000

Unless you're an absolute die-hard fan of Donald and Elliott, then you might be able to tolerate this movie, but I bet everyone involved in it really regretted doing it. Just as much as you'll regret watching it. They certainly have a great chemistry, and there are a few laughs in spite of everything. My favorite scene is the last one, not only because the movie is over but because Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland's charm together really comes through. A last-ditch attempt to leave the audience with a smile, perhaps.

For all Jazz Lovers, 21 April 2000

This is the story of American jazz pianist Joe Warren on an odyssey touring through England where old ghosts come back to haunt him as he haunts dives, pubs and cheap B&Bs. Elliott Gould is first-rate as the sardonic, philosophical jazzman and Geraldine James deftly plays his long-suffering keeper and reluctant ex-singer. This very entertaining little movie is also a must-see for Ewan MacGregor fans who shines in a pre-Trainspotting role. Though the film may lag a bit in places, it never falls into sentimentality, and of course, the music is great.

an underrated, underdog of a movie, 10 March 2000

This movie was blasted by the critics but who cares? It's not exactly a comedy, not a drama, but it does have a lot of action and adventure plus an all-star cast that all play wonderfully off one another, notably Elliott Gould and Stephanie Powers, who always have great comic timing anyway, but here they're a delight together, especially in the "stripping" scene on stage. It's got some good chases and gorgeous scenery of the island of Rhodes. Give it a whirl!