wrbtu

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Perhaps a College Production?, 13 September 2012

I read the earlier reviews here & I thought I'd be watching a professionally made short film. I don't know if this is a college production, & I hate to burst the bubbles of earlier reviewers, but this short is amateurish in every way: acting, direction, special effects, plot, "action sequences" (a misuse of that phrase; the actors do their own stunts, & without much success), etc.

The dialog is delivered in a stilted fashion, the script is hackneyed, & there is nothing here that hasn't been done dozens of times before with greater success. The photography is well-done, the locale is attractive, & there are some decent, basic special effects.

I would be kinder if I knew this was a high school or college production, but I don't know know that. If you're looking for an earnest attempt at film-making by a group of amateurs, you've come to the right place. If you're looking for a production with any of the standard Hollywood values, this is not the place to look.

I'm sorry that I believed the earlier reviewers here, & wasted my money on this.

Excellent Show, on DVD, 10 September 2010

I loved this show when it was on TV 1996-97. Great photography, scripts, acting, music. The series had a movie quality & feel to it, that was rare for TV series of that time period. In summary, it had all that was needed for it to be canceled after a pilot and 9 regular shows. IMDb has listed some info on this program that is incorrect. For example, the pilot ran for two hours. All the other episodes were sixty minutes, except, for some reason, Episode #4 (called "St. Jude Took a Bullet"), which ran for ninety minutes (all including commercials). Please see my comment on the forum for this show, for more info about viewing the episodes, & hearing some of the songs.

Not a Good One, 17 May 2010

I love the "Have Gun, Will Travel" series, which is one of the best of all the TV western series. Unfortunately, this episode is not among my favorites. Simply put, it's too talky, too staged, & too preachy. The moral issues at hand are important, but the small, one-set staged performances are just not my cup of tea. The actors seem capable enough, but their delivery seems more forced than sincere. Each seems to wait patiently for their turn in a round-table type of debate, & during each actor's turn, they over-emote by yelling at each other. This series includes many other episodes that handle issues just as significant as this show's, but do so in a more dynamic fashion without seeming to be a stage play.

Excellent, But a Very Violent Episode, 29 March 2010

Although I don't like some of the things that happened in the plot (for example, an Indian was murdered by whites, & his wife was shot in the back & killed), this show had an excellent plot with several surprising twists. The plot involves a Dakota Sioux Indian who comes to a small encampment in search of medicine for his sick wife. When the Indian is later captured & (falsely) accused of killing a man & stealing his gold, the Sheriff calls the Indian's chief into town, to determine his guilt & possible punishment; this was done to avoid upsetting a recent treaty. After hearing a few details, the chief says "Hang him," & rides off. A fairly shocking development, to say the least, & certainly not what you would normally expect a chief to say about a member of his tribe. Why would he do that? Watch this excellent episode to find out!

One of the Best Cheyenne Episodes, 25 January 2010

This four person drama set during the Christmas season is one of the best episodes of the Cheyenne series. Excellent acting all-around, & excellent script, well-written by the episode's director, Montgomery Pittman (who also wrote 14 episodes of "77 Sunset Strip"). Andrew Duggan plays a Judge who has a penchant for hanging people, more so for being "stupid" than for having committed crimes. The lovely Adele Mara (playing the Judge's wife) has some of the best dialog: "I'm not really ignorant, I've always pretended to be because that's the way you liked it," & later, "Will you ever learn that the world isn't as stupid as you'd like it to be?" The Judge is both fascinated by Cheyenne's morals & threatened by his intelligence. Mesmerizing cat & mouse game between the Judge & Cheyenne keeps the viewer's interest throughout.

Raymond is Miscast, 14 January 2010

Raymond's heavy New York City accent just doesn't work in this story that has him playing a naive young man who has never left the confines of the Budapest Zoo! Quite a job of miscasting there. Young is lovely & well-suited for her role, & holds up in the acting department a bit better than Raymond does. The film doesn't work very well as an allegory. If the tiger is to represent Raymond (or Young, for that matter), why would it attack an elephant upon its release? Is the elephant to be a symbol of the tiger's oppressor? I don't think so, the elephant was locked up just the way that the tiger was. Good film with great animal zoo scenes & enjoyable to watch, but not quite the fantastic fairy tale that other reviewers have raved about.

Unusual Film About Taboo Subjects, 21 December 2009

About an attorney (who seems to be either a senior partner or office manager) with a sexual pre-occupation for young female employees in his office, & sexual harassment in the workplace. The film also explores the taboo subjects of pedophilia, infidelity, & other unpleasant topics. Although the film is very well done, it's hard to follow at times due to the frequent use of confusing flashbacks, unusual lighting, camera angles & sounds, that combine to result in a distortion that becomes dream-like at times. The key to this very unusual movie is contained in a statement made by Williamson's character ("If the people who matter to you, don't care about you anymore, then you cease to exist"). Williamson has little joy in life. He is bored with his bland & sexless wife. He is bored with the social events that his wife plans for them. He is bored with his job, which he finds dull & meaningless. He looks for things to arouse some emotion in his emotionless character, & he finds that hurting other people makes him feel good or at least feel something. Engaging in illicit activities also makes him feel good, partially because he hurts other people while he engages in these activities. He thrives on watching the reactions & emotions (albeit negative) of the persons he hurts. His mistress understands him quite well & loves him, but due to her intelligence & insight, is aware that he will (again) end up hurting her, so she breaks off their relationship. Williamson loves his daughter, but she cares little. He proceeds to alienate his wife, daughter, & mistress, all of the people who care about him the most, to the point where no one is willing to put up with his obsessive sexual thoughts & compulsive sexual behaviors. Then, inside a police van on the way to the police station/jail (a scene which both starts & ends the film), the screen goes blank in the area where Williamson is supposed to be. He has ceased to exist. Difficult to watch due to subject matter that makes the viewer feel uncomfortable; difficult to comprehend due to the use of confusing flashbacks. But ultimately worthwhile due to outstanding acting/directing & social significance of the subject matter, & a masterpiece of Existentialism. Needless to say, this is not a film for casual viewing, nor is it a "happy" film.

The Most Realistic Portrayal of Developmental Disabilities on Film, 20 September 2009

Annabella Sciorra, Matt McCoy, & a pre-star Julianne Moore are good, but Rebecca De Mornay & Ernie Hudson steal the show. Hudson gives the best on-screen performance I've ever seen of a Mentally Retarded man, & I avoid all films with MR/Developmental Disabilities in them (because I've worked in that field for 35 years & I know that Hollywood portrayals are terribly unrealistic). It's maddening to see online reviewers (& some critics) downgrade this film because they don't like Hudson's performance (they say it's "unrealistic"!). These viewers are apparently used to seeing the Hollywood version of Mental Retardation & believe that's accurate. Then when they see a highly realistic portrayal, they think it's fake! Incredible! I've also seen where reviewers downgrade the film because they say "Why didn't Sciorra do so & so...?" Well, she has a bad case of asthma. And when you can't breathe, there is nothing else in the world you are thinking about except being able to take one more breath; that's all the explanation that's needed to understand her actions. Again, viewers are so Hollywoodized that they think a person who literally can't breathe (& therefore has 2-3 minutes of life left in them) can "just do a couple of things first..."! Even if you don't like this film, there are some very authentic parts, like Hudson & Sciorra's portrayals. I like De Mornay & this is her best role. In my opinion, she's an underrated actress, who suffers from the typical viewer reaction of "she's too pretty to be a good actress" syndrome.  "Hand That Rocks..." is a suspenseful film is several ways, not the least of which is the viewer's concern for the safety of children. Sciorra's portrayal is one of a not particularly good parent (realistic, like it or not). McCoy is a brainy guy (a "Genetic Engineer"), & although he loves his wife & kids, he's not particularly adept at communicating with his wife (& vice versa). De Mornay plays a devious character who gets away with a lot because her motivation is unknown to the central characters, & she's able to take advantage of a series of "open- pocketbook" situations which allows her to play one unsuspecting character against another. It's all been done before (except the outstanding Hudson portrayal), but it's a lot of fun nonetheless, & worth a watch.

Intelligent B Western, 3 January 2009

Here's an above-average B Western with good acting, intelligent plot & characters. Nothing special plot-wise, just a solid B western that's not stupid. Ted de Corsia does the best acting in this film, in the midst of a solid cast. Walter Sande plays an almost unique character for a B Western, the town sheriff who is not the main Good Guy, yet acts sensibly & has intelligence, how odd! Barton MacLane, Lyn Thomas, Leo Gordon, & Harry Carey Jr. are all good in supporting roles. Jim Davis, the star of the film, puts in a fine, understated performance here, that reminds me in some ways of Wild Bill Elliot, which places Davis in the upper echelon of B Western actors, along with Elliot, although neither is a match for William Boyd (Hopalong Cassidy). For some reason, this film is not listed in either Maltin book (his main movie book or the B&W films review book). The rest of the cast is fine, too. Certainly worth a watch.

The Miller Sisters Only Film Appearance, 5 February 2008

Now (2007) released on DVD by UGHA with improved video & audio quality, & also contains the film plus just the performance excerpts, 114 minutes total. The film as presented here is only fair quality, the soundtrack is not in synch with the video, & it's choppy, but that's all that can be expected of this very rare 1956 film (from a 16mm print) featuring some great R&B acts, including the best Girl Group of all-time, The Miller Sisters. The Millers were the daughters of Long Island A&R man, songwriter, & arranger William Milller (Hull, Onyx, Acme, Miller High Fi, Concha, Ember, Tri-Boro, Q, Rayna, Yorktown labels, etc.), & he taught his daughters well. Here they are featured doing two uptempo dance numbers: "Do You Wanna Go" (a re-titling of their own "Roll Back the Rug") & "Everybody's Havin' a Ball", both of which are far from their best material, & lip-synched here, but it's great just to see them in their only video appearance. It's also great to see Teacho Wiltshire's Band here.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]