icehole4

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A different comedy sketch oriented series, 28 December 2006

Originally produced in Chicago, this short-lived series basically had pairs of comedians battling each other. The audience voted as to who was the funniest. The hostess, Jillian (sorry, I can't remember her last name) was a good choice for the hostess. Many comedians that toured with stand-up acts in Chicago came on the show. You can see some now-famous people before they became famous, such as Wayne Brady. You can see comedians sing funny songs, do various sketches, and even replace the dialog on a clip with their own funny comments. One of the funniest parts was the opening, where they informed us that "the kwik witz had a chance to prepare their challenges in advance." If it is still in syndication, it's worth a look.

Not really great., 1 December 2006

The show was a late 1970's syndicated children's variety program. I don't remember much of it, except for one skit called the Puberty Fairy. In it, a guy wearing a fairy costume would come to pre-adolescent teens and grant their wishes of being an adult, only to have it backfire on the teens. Another sketch had a bunch of guys who would be offered a cigarette, and they'd respond in unison "No thanks, we're trying to cut down." The humor was very childish and it's no surprise that it didn't last long. Well, when Hollywood retreads this show, we'll know for sure that they've hit absolute rock bottom. I really can't remember much else, and that's probably a good thing.

Good thing German Healthcare is good..., 8 September 2006

Staplefaher Klaus is one of those short films that you just have to think "This is just plain wrong." However, it's just wrong in a Bad Santa sort of way. Our hero Klaus gets hired as a forklift driver and proceeds to go around a series of accidents. These range from decapitation, hands getting cut off, impalement, and limbs being severed. A lot of the action was pure hyperbole, and it was funny yet repulsive at the same time. I must say I never knew Germans had a delayed reaction in bleeding until I saw this film. I also never knew that throwing blood on a ringing school bell would cause it to fall to the ground either.

Thank you for this film., 16 April 2006

It was sometimes funny, sometimes scary, and sometimes, it made me angry. However, it was never boring. It's the story of Nick Naylor, the vice president of the Tobacco Research Institute. This is a cigarette-company funded place to reinforce the idea that "there's no direct link between smoking and health problems." In other words, it's filled with double-talk and loads of lies, but it is an insider's look at how Washington works. The M.O.D. scenes were entertaining. Nick is an expert at double talk and has very little to redeem him in the beginning. Gradually, one discovers he's not as evil as he seemed to be at first.

I recommend you see this film if you haven't. It's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

A breath of fresh air in a tired genre..., 9 June 2005

A lot of the "slice of real life" manga has become rather stale, but Azumanga Daioh has turned a group of adorable little girls into a great sensation. Most of these slice of life manga items try to make some dull, boring routine funny, but Azumanga Daioh succeeds where others fail. Why? Primarily because of the characters, as they are well-crafted and interact with each other in just the right way.

I feel that the funniest interactions between these girls and their teachers were with the extremely creepy Mr. Kimura. This male teacher seems to have two traits: an extreme fondness for girls, and a tendency to give away large sums of money to charity. Fortunately, Mr. Kimura never gets anywhere with the girls. Additionally funny were the "driving skills" (or should I say lack thereof) of Ms. Yukari.

Well, I liked it..., 9 June 2005

I think that a lot of people who didn't like this missed the main point of the story: It's a spoof on the various animae conventions out there. Sasshi, our generic likable kid/pervert adds a touch of reality to things. The generic likable kid is always in control of things, and always manages to come out on top with barely a scratch on him. The generic default heroine is always fawning over the generic likable kid. The relationship between Arumi and Sasshi is, at best, and "I-hate-you-and-I-love-you" affair. In episode one, Arumi tells us Sasshi has died no less than 44 times in the past hour and a half. A lot of things that take themselves way too seriously (Dragonball Z, Voltron, etc.) get set up for a healthy dose of reality. Not even the USA is safe, as they take shots at Hollywood as well (there's a spoof of Titanic near the end.)

Well, if you think the series is weird, just read the pocket manga.

Not just a Tomb Raider clone *SPOILERS*, 11 June 2004

While it's easy to write off Gold Digger as another lame-o version of Tomb Raider, doing so would be very wrong. this DVD takes the comic book's early years and brings them to life. It's a good place to start for new GD fans. You get to see Gina and Britanny actually move for once, and see just how fast Britanny the were-cheetah really is. The story itself concerns Gina and Britanny going on an expedition to a dragon's lair to find a time machine. Gina's the hard-nosed, serious leader getting herself into trouble, and Britanny would rather be shopping and eating tuna sandwiches than saving her sister's life.

Vol. 2 just hit shelves recently, and there's a vol. 3 on the way. It's worth getting.

Good idea, poor execution, 19 May 2004

I think what really shot this series down was this: the characters were too much of a stereotype. Dad was too stereotypical of a big, brawny meathead. Mom was too much of a stereotype of little Ms. perfect on the outside, but missing something on the inside. Daughter was stereotypical angry at everything riot grrrl. Son was just... well, son was the stereotype of the kid who couldn't figure out who he was. Very cool computer graphics dominated this show, but unfortunately, they spent way too much money on computerized images, and not really enough on writing.

You also get the feeling that the writers didn't know very much about gaming and gamers to really capture what they were like. Considering that the show's creators, David Sacks and Marcy Carsay are better known for shows like 3rd Rock from the Sun and The Cosby Show, respectively, you have to wonder why they were involved with it. There were also 7 executive producers, and you know what they say about too many chiefs and not enough braves in the tribe...

The show also proves you can take a good cast and still come up with a dud. Lucy Liu, Patrick Warburton, Rachel Dratch, Artie Lange, Marisa Tomei, and Jan Hooks aren't probably going to list this at the top of their resumes.

Still, I think that the series could be retooled and reintroduced someday. It'd take a lot of work and dedication to make it workable, but I think it can be done. You really need someone who knows the world of videogames and videogamers at the top of it all.

a.k.a. how desperate are you to get a date?, 17 June 2003

While this isn't the worst dating show out there - I think EX-treme dating holds that dubious title - this one isn't much better. Four men or women compete to get a date with a member of the opposite sex. I'd only go on this show to get a free meal and then leave. The whole premise is silly and farfetched; the people on it are either incredibly desperate singles or people who shouldn't be dating in the first place. Sometimes it does get unintentionally funny.

Real dates ABSOLUTELY bear NO resemblance to this.

Daredevil (2003)
Up and down, results are mixed., 31 May 2003

This film had points in it where I was going "Wow! This is a great film!" and other points where I was going "God, what were they thinking when they did this scene?" The action comes fast and furious, and seems pretty well done. Some of the scenes were pretty predictable, especially if you've read the comic book (for example, the scene where Bullseye kills Elektra was taken word for word from the comic book.) Overall I'd give this a 5 out of 10. Hopefully, the sequel will have more of the good stuff in it and less of the bad stuff in it.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]