Reviews written by
Matt Carpenter (aeroquiddity@yahoo.com)

The reason I'm a Pacino fan, 4 June 2002

If I had to pick the movies that made Pacino my favorite actor, it would be this underrated classic. He is both a man's man and a lady's man. He show humor and bravado. He plays a character who can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. Pacino is in top form here, working with good actors, a fine script, and a well told story. His best scenes are with Penelope Ann Miller and Sean Penn (who also shines). He gets your attention from his opening speech, where he's making a statement to the court that sounds like an Academy Awards speech. Very entertaining and humorous. It get even better from there, as he goes through a whole range of emotions, portraying a very interesting character, and making him even more interesting. I loved it!

Angus (1995)
Why is this movie not on DVD?, 25 December 2002

This is a great flick! Funny, touching, well acted. A nice little dramedy. It's a shame how something this good can't get onto DVD, and a piece of crap Britney Spears flick can! What a sad society we live in!

"Rose Red" (2002)
Very, very scary., 8 May 2003

I don't see why anyone said this mini was too long. I think it kept up a good pace all the way through. Some wonderful special effects for a tv movie. Some very creepy ghosts. Good acting all around. This has got to be one of the best Haunted House flicks I've ever seen. I saw it again a few days ago, and I'm still a little nervous about walking down a dark hallway at night. It was that good.

Eerie, yet brilliant., 19 February 2003

Well, what an I say. This is a slow, methodical, intelligent film. Robin Williams is superb! Somewhat disturbing in certain spots, but overall very good. This film is a ballsy, unflinching look at society. The lesson is that we need to be careful about what we take for granted.

The Star Wars of this generation, 19 December 2002

Wow! A superb part 2 in what is so far an incredible trilogy. You often hear about movies that "have it all". This is one of those. The character introductions are complete from Fellowship and now it's time for action! I can't wait for part 3!

Isn't it enough for the movie to be scary?, 3 November 2002

After reading a review that wasted time pointing out plot holes and the fact that he found only one character he could relate to, I have to pose that question. This movie was very scary. The make-up work was very good. The action scenes worked very well. It was some good, hardcore horror. Besides, what did you expect from a movie based on a video game?

Free speech lives, 11 October 2002

Is this film offensive? Yes. There were even a couple of things that offended me, and I'm not offended that easily. Is there a message in this film? Yes. Several. Primarily, if you are a parent and you're concerned about what your children are watching, don't fight the television or film industries Instead, spend time with your kids! :POSSIBLE SPOILERS: In South Park: BL & U, Kyle's mother and all the other moms in SP are upset that their children learned foul language from the Terrence and Phillip movie that they went to see. Now, keep in mind that the parents didn't ask them what the title of the movie was before they (the children)went to go see it. That was their first mistake. Then, after the childrem saw the flick and began to cuss like sailors, did their parents sit down with them and have a long discussion about right & wrong? No! They decided to bash Canada and the film industry instead. This was their second mistake.

Now, the first amendment gives us all the right to free speech. So you have the freedom to say you don't like this film. However, think about the movie's underlying message before you call it "vile" and "trash".

One more thing. To those who saw this and were shocked by the language. Have you ever seen the show? What were you expecting, a Disney film?

Great, but no Godfather, 27 July 2002

I heard one review of the film compare it to the Godfather. Close, but no cigar. The Godfather was actually fairly original, showing gangsters in a family setting. It had a dynamite cast,wonderfully laid out plot elements,and was very entertaining. Road To Perdition had hints of these things, only not done as well. Aside from a few twists, the plot's revenge theme is nothing new-it wasn't new when used in The Crow, another favorite of mine. The cast all did a fine job, with a nod given to Tyler Hoechlin, the kid who played Hanks' son. Also, spoiler here, how many horror movies have you seen where somebody you thought was dead,comes back at the end to take one last shot at the good guy. The same thing happened in Die Hard. So, own it's own, great flick. But no Godfather.

Never trust a trailer, 16 July 2002

I rented this movie because the trailer looked so damn cool! Based on the trailer for this flick, it looked like it might be exciting. Wrong! Critics often speak of thin plots on which to hang action sequences. Of course, in most of those movies, the action is so frquent that the average fan might enjoy the flick anyway. This seems to be one of those movies, except the action sequences are few and far between. I didn't even sit throught the whole flick. I was that bored.

Never trust a trailer, 16 July 2002

I rented this movie because the trailer looked so damn cool! Based on the trailer for this flick, it looked like it might be exciting. Wrong! Critics often speak of thin plots on which to hang action sequences. Of course, in most of those movies, the action is so frequent that the average fan might enjoy the flick anyway. This seems to be one of those movies, except the action sequences are few and far between. I didn't even sit through the whole flick. I was that bored.