willrams

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Troy (2004)
A Big Fat Eight!, 17 May 2004

If you want a rousing Big Fat 8, go see this exciting and eventful film based upon Homer's great epic. The siege of Troy by all the Greek forces. After ten bloody years, the Greeks are not going to leave without taking Troy. Even though the CGI is recognizable in big huge battle scenes, there is much to be said for the fast pace and fine acting in this epic. The film is 162 minutes long, but your interest will be held by the fast pacing and fine acting. Laurels go to Brad Pitt as an audacious arrogant personality unforgiving until the end. I understand the location locales were made in Mexico, Malta and London. Directed by Wolfgang Perersen, the only criticism I can give is that the musical background rarely fits the action. Too bad; somebody like John Williams would do much better directing the music. It was good to see Peter O'Toole back again; he plays the part of Priam. In fact he did so well and was so disguised with beard that I hardly recognized him at all. 8/10

delightful!, 17 May 2004

Another old movie from my garage vaults; one I always loved because of the great music and so many MGM stars. The loosely based biography of both Richard Rogers and Lorenz Hart. They were a great pair. Rogers wrote the music and Hart did the sometimes crazy lyrics Tom Drake plays Rogers, and Mickey Rooney plays Hart. The big numbers in this were by June Allison in "Thou Swell"; Judy Garland's "Johnny One-Note"; Judy and Mickey doing "I'll Take Manhattan"; Mel Torme's "Blue Moon", and many others. I believe this film was one of Perry Como's and Mel Torme's first. The story may seem like a hodgepodge of great talent, but who cares the music is wonderful! How could anyone not love Judy Garland or June Allison? 7/10

sad and funny, 12 May 2004

I dug this film out of my vaults today and I believe this film is a loosely based bio on the real life of comedian Jack E. Leonard back in the 20s and 30s. Tony, played by Frank Sinatra, seems to be a very hard luck widower who always gambles his life away. He has a 12year-old boy who is a strong asset to him. But when Tony loses everything and tries to get his brother, Mario, played by Edward G. Robinson, to stake him and lets them bring up his son, it doesn't work out. His son loves him and doesn't want to live with anyone else but him. The highlights of this good comedy, directed by famous Frank Capra, is the song Sinatra sings "High Hopes" with his little boy. Good acting and fine performances by Sinatra. Eleanor Parker plays the love interest. But, who plays the son, Ally? I couldn't find his billing. 7/10

sad and funny, 12 May 2004

10.5 (2004) (TV)
whatever happened!, 4 May 2004

I missed the first episode of this, but saw the last part last night, and with trepidation I might as well say it's just another disaster to be reckoned with. My complaint is that they must have used a handheld camera most of the time because too many scenes were jerky and somewhat out of focus. Now maybe this is what they were trying to convey, but it's enough to give anyone a headache! The only good thing I can say about it is this disaster beats all with nuclear explosions solving the problem at last. A little farfetched and highly improbable. The acting was not too good, except for the father and daughter who seemed to be very emotional; but only showed it through their eyes. The "Earthquake" 1974 with Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner was so much better. In that the acting pulled it off. In this TV series they tried to cover all earthquakes, tsunamis, and dividing the continent of North America, namesly the coast of California. 6/10

Show Boat (1951)
Best Musical of all time, 26 April 2004

Another of the great musicals I have seen so many times, and wish to comment on it and compare with the original made in 1936 with Irene Dunne and Alan Jones. Although the original is in black and white, the 1951 version is so colorful and story and acting so good and more developed and three-dimensional, that I had a few tears myself. Dancing by Marge and Gower Champion were truly champions. Joe E. Brown as Capt. Hawks plays a much funnier role than Charley Winninger did in 1936. He has such a rubbery face, and I can still hear him saying "Happy New Year". There are eight wonderful songs by Kern and Hammerstein and the best were "Make Believe" and "You Are Love" and "Old Man River" but there were other old goodies, too, like "After The Ball". 8/10

delightful, 25 April 2004

I dug out from my garage some old musicals and this is another one of my favorites. It was written by Jay Alan Lerner and directed by Vincent Minelli. It won two Academy Awards for Best Picture of 1951 and Best Screenplay. The story of an American painter in Paris who tries to make it big. Nina Foch is a sophisticated lady of means and is very interested in helping him, but soon finds she loves the guy. Meanwhile Gene Kelly falls for lovely damsel, Leslie Caron. His main dancing partner, and I must say they are fantastic together on the floor and otherwise. Famous French singer Georges Guietary sings, too. So if you like good smooth dancing and fun filled scenes filled with Oscar Levant's nimble piano fingers, the songs of George Gershwyn will live on forever in this colorful gem. 8/10

Titanic (1997)
commendable, 21 April 2004

An exciting story about the sinking of the "unsinkable" Titannic on February 4, 1912 with the loss of over 3,000 passengers. The story is viewed by 95 year old rescued woman played by Gloria Stuart. Her viewpoint of her love affair with Jack Dawson who gave her strength to carry on. Jack Dawson is played by Leonardo de Caprio and his lover played by Kate Winslet. She tells of an exciting escape from the vessel on that dark cold night. The film lasts 139 minutes with an intermission.. Fine acting, music, and some very intense moments. John Cameron is the director, and he and the film won several Academy Awards for 1997. This is one of Leonardo de Caprio's best movies. 7/10

Spartacus (2004) (TV)
Ingeneous, 21 April 2004

I saw this on USA Channel and thought it was a great production. This is a remake of a wonderful story with Kirk Douglas and Jean Simmons. Directed by Robert Dornhelm and writing credits to Howard Fast for the novel, and Robert Schenkkan for the teleplay, it is an exciting war of the slaves against the Romans. The war scenes, however, would have been more spectacular on the big screen; however, they were bloody. This is different from the original because the love story is expanded; Spartacus fathered two children by Varinia; one is killed by Crassus, but the other lives after the crucifixion. Spartacus is played by Goran Visnjic, Lentulas Agrippa is Alan Bates, Pompey is George Calil, and Varinia is Rhoma Mitra. The lecherous and miserable Crassus is played by Angus MacFadyen. All actors play three-dimensional roles and are very good. If you want to enjoy good acting, music, and beautiful scenery, go for it! 8/10

laughable & lovable, 7 March 2004

I was going to see the Passion today, but since it was sold out ended up seeing this goofy remake of a 1975 film. Loosely based upon the TV series of a couple of dizzy cops who barnstorm as partners, and ending up with the big catch of wealthy cocaine peddlers. The pair gets momentous help from their silly friend Snoop Dog. Notice the ending where the two cops drive their car into the bay in order to catch the thieves in a boat, but end up losing their car. Lots of laughs and racing cars. Starsky is played by Ben Stiller who does crazy things. The musical score is enjoyable, and it's a fast-paced film. Some may find this film shows racial discrimination, but it really is all in fun as well as the crazy antics involved. 6/10

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]