krasnegar

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Responding to the question about what the Weeping Angels do to you, 31 March 2013

"...they let you live to death." The Angels throw you backward in time, which creates energy they live off.

This episode has about the highest behind-the-couch factor of ANY episode of ANY season of Dr Who, all the way back to 1963.

And, just when you think it's safe to come out - they throw those ten seconds of fast shots of Every Flippin' Stone Angel in Cardiff at you.

One of the most wonderful aspects of this episode is the fact that the Doctor and Martha get about five minutes total screen time ... but it is UNDENIABLY a true Dr Who episode.

If you listen carefully to and think about the dialog in the opening episode of Season 7, Part 2 - "The Bell of St John" - you might wonder if perhaps Sally Sparrow might be coming back.

I am going to take out a loan..., 2 September 2012

...drive down to New Orleans to the passport office (where i can get a passport in two or three days), buy a ticket to London (or maybe Cardiff), find Steven Moffat,,, And slap him upside the head.

I forgot that the new Dr Who season started last night - but i had set the DVR.

I just watched it.

I think this one qualifies as a shaggy K9 story.

Now, there's more than a little pathos, particularly concerning the central non-TARDIS-related character, and the situation Rory and Amy are in at the beginning of the episode, and it's pretty good pathos.

But the punchline...

ARRRGGGHHHH!

No, Tosh has not been resurrected, 13 July 2011

Interesting effort - hard to judge by only five minutes, which is devoted mainly to setting it up.

Looks as if this was done for the UK fans who get Torchwood a week after the USAians, for once.

The animation is basically what's called "motion comics", in which static comics are manipulated to impart motion - which is even less-realistic looking than the cheapest Saturday morning half-hour toy ads disguised as entertainment for kids.

Judging by the comments on YouTube, some people - mostly the rabid fanboy (girl) types - haven't figured out that the action is taking place in two different times as well as two different places: the Cardiff segments are set in 2007, the L.A. segments are set in present time, after Miracle Day.

I'm still not sure about this Doctor, 12 June 2010

Not a bad episode, as such things go, but i'm still not sure about this version of the Doctor.

I have a problem with the Doctor not knowing at least a *little* about Earth, since he has the memories of all his previous incarnations.

Also, he's just a touch too "eccentric" - plain raving crackers is more the way i'd put it.

That said, i did like Amy's part, small though it was - rather more proactive than a lot of other companions, if still a touch screamy. Of course, i might be screamy in the same situation - actually, i'm fairly sure that i *would* be.

Like the not-quite-the-end episodes of previous series ("Blink" and "Turn Left", for instance) it did feel as if Amy's part was deliberately kept fairly small to free her up to work on the upcoming series-ending two-parter.

In fact, i felt as if one particular aspect of this story echoed "Blink" a bit, one of several resonance with past episodes that i felt (rightly or wrongly) - particularly with "The Eleventh Hour", though it turned out that that was all in my mind.

Enjoyable, but not, i think, one of the real high points of the program's history...

An interesting resemblance, 13 August 2009

I was just thinking about the Richard Widmark film "Death of a Gunfighter", and realised how much this film reminds me of it.

They're both about an old-time lawman who hasn't changed with the times, and about the good citizens wanting to get rid of him.

Of course, they end differently.

There was a paperback novelisation - by Joe Millard, i believe - which added some dialog here and there; my favourite added bit was when someone was talking about how tough could an old man be, and one of his buddies said he'd heard some rumours - remember hearing about that guy who had business cards with a chess piece on them?

NOT a STAR WARS "ripoff", 8 May 2009

This movie was ready for release in Japan when Star Wars was released.

If this film "rips off" anything, it's "The Seven Samurai".

And, since Star Wars is a blatant "rip off" of two or three Japanese films - mostly Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress", but also somewhat his "Yojimbo" - and took other major action bits - the attack on the Death Star, for instance - from English World War 2 films, accusing *anything* of being "a STAR WARS ripoff" simply shows how little the accuser knows of film history.

Extra line.

Extra line.

Lame (Potential spoiler due to other stuff posted on the film's main page), 16 September 2008

About the second or third-lamest film Walter Hill has made in a career of making lame would-be Profound Existentialist Films. (I can't decide if this one or "The Driver" deserves second place in the lameness competition).

Lamest of all, of course, is "Streets of Fire", which is almost science-fiction but misses. It also happens to be my favourite Hill film, with "The Driver" at second favourite - mostly because they are interesting enough conceptually that even Hill's heavy-handed direction can't eff them up beyond redemption - though it's mainly the chase scenes that redeem "Driver".

I'm sorry - all of that violence, all of that sturm und drang, all of that angst, and for why? Why? "Sometimes I just do things like that." Lame lame lame.

"...better than most peoples' careers", 8 April 2008

I recently did a post about Fess {that's the nickname for the Professor's nickname}, including links to some YouTube posts featuring him, and one of the best comments i got from a reader was: "Fess played intros that were better than most peoples' careers".

When Professor Longhair stepped on a rainbow in 1982, we lost one of the true geniuses of American music.

Some of my New Orleans friends knew Fess.

I'm sorry i never got the chance.

I did (briefly) meet his widow at the 1987 New Orleans JazzFest; she was signing posters and suchlike that WWOZ was selling to raise money.

This film should be widely available - why isn't it?

Raw Deal (1977)
One of the best Westerns I have ever seen, 29 March 2008

Personally, i don't think anything in this comment is properly a spoiler, but some people get cranky about the most minor things, so don't read the last paragraph of this comment if you're one of them.

I used to have a copy of this on VHS (having taped it off cable in the 70s); unfortunately, a member of my family accidentally taped over it.

I would really like to have another copy.

This is very much in the spirit of the best "sphagetti" Westerns, and, in fact, in my opinion, is worthy to be mentioned in the same context as the greatest Western ever made, Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West".

If you ever manage to get hold of it, be sure to listen very carefully to the last lines of dialog, after the Butch-and-Sundance-get-away-with-it final action.

Not quite so lame as some other Walter Hill films, 2 November 2007

Walter Hill *really* wanted to be Sam Fuller or Sam Peckinpah, and make hard-hitting existentialist action films.

Sorry 'bout that.

If it weren't for "48 Hours", his career wouldn't rate much more than a footnote in film history.

There was a reason that this film was pretty much a commercial failure on release - it's not very good, and the viewers of the day recognised that - or, at least, the ones who actually knew something about rock and roll.

At least isn't as lame as "The Driver" or "The Warriors".

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]