glenndmiller

One of my early favorites, 30 January 2000

I first saw the movie when I was eight, and thought it was the best movie I had ever seen. Many years later, I was pleased to find that it was still a warm and amusing film. The chemistry between Hayley Mills and June Harding is simply wonderful (the two are excellent; it is amazing that Harding's career seem to end with this one film). Highly recommended.

A wonderful, winning film., 21 December 1999

Charles Laughton was an incomparable actor (did anyone else ever go over the top as much as he did, yet still give brilliant performances?), and he's at the peak of his form in this classic. Laughton is just right as the staid butler who is won in a poker game by a couple from the Old West, circa 1908. Everyone is excellent--Mary Boland and Charlie Ruggles were one of the more popular screen couples of the day, and you'll see why--but it is Laughton who steals the film. His recitation of the Gettysburg Address is a demonstration of his mastery. It should fall flat, but it plays beautifully. See it.

Dodsworth (1936)
One of the best movies of Hollywood's Golden Age, 21 December 1999

Simply outstanding. An adult, intelligent film which is not to be missed. Walter Huston is magnificent as the title character, a man who sees his carefully crafted life slipping away from him. As the vain, selfish Fran Dodsworth, Ruth Chatterton gives the best performance of her career. And Mary Astor--one of the best actresses ever to grace the screen--is both moving and beautiful as the warm divorcee who falls in love with Huston. Superbly directed by William Wyler. A truly great film.

A tomato hurling horror, 21 December 1999

I happened to have my VCR on the "record" mode when this appeared on TCM. Judging from the film I'd say it was made in late 1928 - early 1929. Benny Rubin comes out in various guises (once in blackface; the 20's were such a tasteful time) and at one point introduces the Brox sisters. They appear to be wearing clothes made entirely of lace; they have pretty voices but the songs they perform, and their style of performance, is so far removed from our experience that one can't help but gape open-mouthed. I was waiting for three hooks to come out and snare them by their necks.