Chazzzzz

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A Fantasy-Romantic-Adventure, 5 October 2000

If you, like most of the critics, were expecting to see a comedy, forget it! The Stooges, in their only color film, tried to do it straight and I think they succeeded. They were starting to get a bit older at this time, and I think they wanted to show the world that they could act and carry off a beautiful fairy tale. Sure, there are some funny spots... but this is an adventure, with romance and fantasy thrown in for good measure. Carol Heiss and Patricia Medina are excellent as Snow White and the Queen/Witch. Nice wide screen photography, FX, and action. THIS IS A GOOD FILM!

This is not supposed to be TV series. This was the pilot episode for the TV series., 25 June 2000

I do not have all of the particulars in front of me, but this 1997 film directly followed the original STARGATE movie filmed in 1994. The complete title is: Stargate SG-1 "Children of the Gods", and it starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, and Amanda Tapping. Kudos to the casting people who replaced the original cast with very excellent performers who managed to bear good resemblances to the original characters. This sequel is slightly better than the original, amazingly. But see the movie first so that you can follow the storyline. Solid 8.

A slightly different spin on the Twain tale..., 24 June 2000

This is a very entertaining production of Mark Twain's classic time-travel story, tho this time we have Whoopie Goldberg, who works with computers, zapped back into Camelot with her laptop and boom box! Nice cast, including Michael York as Arthur, Paloma Baeza, Amanda Donohoe, and Ian Richardson as Merlin. Good all around, especially for kids because there's several messages to be learned here. The FX could be better, but this is not a big budget film and they are okay. Good costumes, including Whoopie's suit of armor! Solid 8.

The Blue Yonder (1985) (TV)
Something for everybody!!!, 24 May 2000

Put Huckleberry Fox, Peter Coyote, and Art Carney in a Fantasy Adventure film dealing with airplanes and time travel, add an intelligent script, excellent performances by the entire cast, give it a couple dashes of suspense, a few pinches of comedy, and capture it all with dazzling cinematography, and you have The Blue Yonder. This is the type of film that I actively seek out. BRAVO to all who worked on this fine family film.

Am I the only one to see this version SECOND?, 29 April 2000

I did not see the original stage play. What I saw, a few years before I managed to catch up with this movie, was telecast on HBO: Barefoot In The Park, starring Richard Thomas and Bess Armstrong. That version was a riot! This one, while having a few outdoor scenes, lost its luster. Both Fonda & Redford seem flat... certainly not up to the energy of Thomas & Armstrong. I haven't found the HBO version in the IMDb, but hopefully somebody with the particulars of the film will be kind enough to add it. I rated this Fonda-Redford version a 7.

Some critics need to spend some time in this house..., 8 March 2000

This is one of those films that critics loved to hate. They think Desi Arnaz Jr. had very little to offer in acting ability, and that the appearances of four horror/screen legends were little more than a gimmick. WRONG! Desi Jr. holds his own, along with Shelia Keith, as they visit this House of Long Shadows and discover the secrets there-in. Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and John Carradine contribute very nicely to the proceedings. If you are hoping for a slasher pic, ignore this. This takes you on better mind games... a thriller full of suspense! VERY SOLID 9!

A Science-Fiction Documentary?, 28 February 2000

Well, why not? The way things were/are going here on Earth, the speculation presented by the narration in this film could come true. Might serve us right! Anyway, the cinematography is terrific! Excellently done on a whole, even tho some critics panned the narration. It is unique, so see it. I gave it a 7 out of 10, and it could be rated higher.

Hoosiers (1986)
Best pure basketball movie ever., 28 February 2000

This is fairly easily the best pure basketball movie made. Others, like The Harlem Globetrotters, or Space Jam, might be more historic or funny, but this is great movie-making regards basketball. Of special merit: Editing. I have nothing but great compliments for the outstanding editing done to put this film up on the screen. There seems to be no breaks in the many action sequences. The photography and acting are also superb.

John Wayne in a Romantic Comedy?????, 25 February 2000

Yes, John Wayne is actually in a Romantic Comedy, and this is it! Evalyn Knapp (top billed!!!) is his love interest who tries to prove herself by getting a job in John's dad's company without papa knowing who she is. It's pretty well done, and certainly worth viewing just for the curiosity of seeing the Duke out of his element. He actually does pretty well! A SOLID 8!

I don't know why this adventure-comedy is so under-appreciated., 23 February 2000

Given Tom Selleck, Bess Armstrong, Wilford Brimley, Robert Morley, Brian Blessed, and Jack Weston, and a bunch of excellent aerial action scenes, this is a terrific film. So what if there isn't a great message, or outstanding drama. For what this is... a comedy-adventure... it's great. Tom and Bess have always been extremely watchable to me, and they continue that tradition here. A solid 9.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]