preppy-3

Page 1 of 339:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very silly but enjoyable, 13 July 2016

Animated film that takes place in NYC. Two dogs named Max (voiced by Louis C.K.) and Duke (voiced by Eric Stonestreet) get separated from their owner when out for a walk. The film chronicles their journey back home.

This is clearly aimed at kids but has plenty of humor that adults will enjoy. I'm in my 50s and laughed long and loud at some of the antics. The script is good and moves quickly. I was never bored. With one exception the voices perfectly fit the characters. The one exception was Snowball. He's a psychotic rabbit voiced by Kevin Hart. Hart can be funny but not here. He YELLS every word out at the audience. It gets annoying quick. The animation is great--very fluid and pleasing to the eye. The backdrops of NYC are breath-taking. The only real debit is there are some glaring lapses in logic but it IS a kids film. Recommended.

Silly but energetic and fun, 9 July 2016

LOW budget musical comedy drama. The film stars Jeffrey A. Johns as Anthony. He's a GWM musical geek. The other lead is hunky Adam Huss as Tony a male stripper. Through some seriously convoluted plotting Anthony gets hired to join a male strip show and Tony gets in a no-budget musical. Some hilarity ensures.

This really isn't that good of a movie. The basic plot is highly unlikely and the low budget shows. The songs were pleasant but unmemorable and the dancing was a little...ummmm...off. Still I must admit I enjoyed watching it. The cast was rearing to go and full of energy. I admit I laughed more than once and it left me feeling good. The acting was good all around and hunky Huss and gorgeous Blake Peyrot were easy on the eyes. It also has Lee Meriwether in a small role and she looks great and is wonderful. Christopher Atkins and Sally Struthers also have cameos. Best of all is Shirley Jones playing herself popping up at the end. She's hysterical and can still sing. This was a big hit at film festivals and a sequel has already been filmed. So a lot of people love it but I can only marginally recommend it.

Melodramatic but very good, 9 July 2016

Drama dealing with two sisters. There's Roy (Olivia de Havilland) who's good and Stanley (Bette Davis) who's psychotic. Stanley steals Roy's husband Peter (Dennis Morgan) from her cruelly dumping her current boyfriend Craig (George Brent). Then there's a creepy uncle (Charles Coburn) who seems way too fond of Stanley.

Fast-moving and well-done with a great script. Director John Huston blasted this film in later years but I can't see why. Most of the acting is great. de Havilland is given the thankless good girl role but pulls it off. Davis is given the prime role and she attacks it full-force--sometimes TOO full force! More than once I found her overacting more funny than dramatic. I wish Huston had reined her in. Still she's great. The only debits are Brent and Morgan who are pretty wooden. Still this is well worth seeing.

Not as good as "Civil War" but not as bad as "Batman vs. Superman", 4 July 2016

This takes place in 1983 and has the X-Men getting together to battle an ancient alien named Apocalypse who wants to rebuild the world...and run it.

Good (sometimes very good) superhero film. There's plenty of action and excitement. However the plot is vague and more than a little convoluted and slow-moving at times. Also some of the heroes (notably Storm and Angel) get very little screen time. Also Cyclops comes across as a bit of a jerk. Worst of all in Nicholas Hoult who is just terrible as Beast...and yes I'm aware he's played him before. Way too thin for the role. However the rest of the actors are all good in their roles. Also Wolverine pops up briefly. His sequence is VERY bloody and violent--way too much for a PG-13 film. By the way it adds nothing to the plot. I'm guessing he was put in just to satisfy the fans. All in all a good film but "Days of Future Past" was better.

Pretty forgettable crime drama, 1 July 2016

Jack Carson plays a recovered alcoholic. It seems the previous two years he had been drinking so much that he blacked out and doesn't remember a thing. Then a seriously drunk man shows up and passes out near his place. He has a piece of paper in his pocket that implies that Carson (during his blackout stage) had been involved in some crimes under a different name. Carson hides the paper but then thugs start threatening him and his family and people are being killed.

Not a bad plot but badly handled. Carson (a good actor) appears to be drugged while making this. The plot drags out and all the supporting actors just seem to be going through the motions. The ultimate resolution also seems more than a little unlikely. A VERY mediocre crime drama.

Bent (1997)
Quite frankly it's boring!, 23 June 2016

This is set in Germany right around the time the Nazis started herding Jews and gays into concentration camps. A gay couple (one played by Clive Owen) try to escape but are captured. One dies but Owen lives. He also swears to do anything to survive in the camps--even keeping it secret that he's gay. Then he meets another gay prisoner Horst (Lothaire Bluteau) and falls in love. Horst tries to make him come out. Will he?

A perfectly good idea for a drama (and based on a play) is totally botched. It's quite frankly deadly dull. Owen (a good actor) gives a rare bad performance. He's good every once in a while but mostly he's really off. Bluteau is great but he can't carry the whole movie. They keep going on and on and ON about coming out and being yourself till you want to scream. The same points are repeated to a ridiculous degree. It's pretty well-directed but was made on a very low budget which shows. There are some interesting people in small roles--Mick Jagger (as a drag queen), Ian McKellan, Jude Law, Rupert Graves, Charlie Watts and an unknown Paul Bettany. Still they're not enough to make this worth watching. A rightfully forgotten gay drama.

Way too slow, 15 June 2016

This takes place in 1978 and is based on a true story. Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga) fight a ghost in England that targets a family with a divorced mom and four children. It targets especially their 11 year old girl.

The first movie was a good scary movie. It had its faults but it worked. This one doesn't. For starters it's too long. There's no reason for this film to run almost 2 and half hours. Plenty of sequences could have been trimmed or cut out completely. Secondly it has too many damn jump scares. They're annoying and force the audience to jump. Also it's VERY slow-moving. I got bored pretty quickly. Worst of all it just isn't scary. The attack scenes weren't even remotely scary. On the plus side it is well-acted and directed with accurate 1978 clothes and fads portrayed. Also the ending is great--violent and exciting but its too little too late. This has been getting raves from critics and viewers so I'm definitely in the minority here but I really didn't like it.

Far too long and overly serious, 2 June 2016

Death takes the body of a dead man (Brad Pitt) and calls himself Joe Black. He gets a rich older man (Anthony Hopkins) to teach him about life (for what reason I've forgotten). He also falls in love the man's beautiful daughter (Claire Forlani).

I'm not gloating when I say I saw this up a theatre in 1998. The reviews were negative and the totally ridiculous 3 hour length gave me pause but I liked the cast and it SOUNDED interesting. What I got was an overly serious, slow-moving and frankly boring movie. There are a few (VERY few) good moments her and there but they're totally lost in this boring, sleep-inducing mess. The main problem is the length. This did not need to run three solid hours. I remember at the two hour mark quite a few people walked out of the theatre I saw it in. I can't blame them. I was thinking of joining them but decided to stick it out because I was mildly interested in how it would end. The problem is it had THREE different endings--all were bad and dull. It's a real shame because there's a really good two hour movie here screaming to get out. A pointless waste of celluloid.

Terrible movie from a great comedy group, 23 May 2016

The members of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" recreate some of the best bits from the first two seasons of their TV series.

OK--I LOVE Monty Python. "Life of Brian" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" are two of the funniest movies ever made. "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" isn't bad and even "Meaning of Life" had its moments. However THIS was dreadful. What works on TV certainly does not work in a movie. This movie needs what the TV show had...a laugh track. Moments that were hilarious on TV just simply don't work in this context. I saw it at a revival theatre with "Holy Grail" once ages ago. The audience was in hysterics during "Grail". This one was greeted with dead silence. There was the occasional laugh here and there but mostly everyone sat there without reacting. It just doesn't work. Stick with any of the other movies and avoid this one.

Superb Avengers film, 21 May 2016

The Avengers are in trouble. Because quite a few innocent people were accidentally killed during their many battles the government wants to rein them in. They draft a bill that makes it clear that the Avengers only go into battle when the government allows them too. Iron Man, Black Widow and a few others sign it. Captain America, Falcon and others won't. This leads to an all out battle.

Just GREAT movie--overflowing with good acting and wonderful action scenes. It moves quickly--the 147 minutes flew by. This did everything right that "Batman vs. Superman" did so badly. It's serious but also has a sharp sense of humor and some VERY funny lines from Spiderman. Only two debits--Sebastian Stan is bad as Bucky and the way Scarlet Witch was treated at the end was vicious beyond belief. Still this is a wonderful comic book film well worth your time.

Page 1 of 339:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]