mm-39

Page 1 of 156:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A great homage to the Dawn of the Dead movie!, 25 October 2014

No Sanctuary was a mind blowing episode. A mix between the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead movie. Rick's survival crew tries to survive by finding Sanctuary at a compound. No Sanctuary's ironic story line has Rick's crew seeking Sanctuary to avoid being dinner by Zombies, and ending up being the food prospects of the compound's occupants. No Sanctuary first half is inspired and emulates the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. So gruesome and bizarre which enthrals the audience. No Sanctuary's rescue in the second half is similar to the original Dawn of the Dead movie. A surprise sniper hero, mixed with zombies attacking the compound, and the two surviving tribes fighting each other. A surreal ending, which makes the audience wanting more. The Walking Dead is back on track. 10 out of 10!

Fury (2014)
One strong movie!, 23 October 2014

I went into the theater wondering if Fury would be just another war movie. Been there done that. Fury is well acted, written, and directed. The character driven story is one of Pitt's strongest performances. The story of an innocent young recruit who is mentored by a harden warrior. As the movie unfolds one sees the human side of Pitt's character tempered with the warrior side(Brad Pitt). The director unfolds the brutality of the human experience, and the reasoning for the butchery. The Waffen S S marching scene creates an essence of the spirit and fanaticism of the enemy. One understands after seeing the enemy why Pitt's character goes on the suicide mission. Compassion/responsibility drives Pitt's character to fight so others may live. A powerful ending where a young S S soldier shows his human side gave the movie hope in a world of brutality. Fury is an eight star movie.

Gone Girl (2014)
A future classic, 8 October 2014

Gone Girl is a future classic. Gone Girl will become another Citizen Kane and or Raiders of the lost Ark. All of Gone Girl's characters are believable. Director Fincher creates a narrative of empathy, understanding and dread for the missing woman. Gone Girl's writer brilliantly plays on the viewer's assumptions, and creates a sub story where the media, and public can be fooled by an intelligent, ruthless, vengeful sociopath. The only people who were not fooled was the lowly poor white Southerners, who figured out a con compared to the rich suburbanites; another sub-story about assumptions. The director, and story writer weave together a brilliant/shocking ending, which makes Gone Girl a movie classic. I personally love a story/film where after each scene the viewer is left wanting more! I give Gone Girl a ten out ten.

Annabelle (2014)
Big build up for a disappointing movie!, 6 October 2014

Annabelle is a much anticipated prequel to the Conjuring. Annabelle is about a cured object. A doll. Regrettably, all the build up for the movie just fizzles out! What worked: The first half of the movie was intriguing. Set in a safe white suburbia 1960's California where a couple is hit with a radical 60's cult incident. Shock hits the suburbia environment and the couple's home. An interesting slow burn begins with noises at night etc as the terror begins. There was great build up! Regrettably, the makers of Annabelle did not know how to seal the deal. A mysterious new friend arrives, and a worried priest add new character development. The new friend becomes a one dimensional character, and the priest's role fades out. A scary build up, but the ending and near ending parts of the movie fizzles. The director and script writer did not know how to tie up the ending. You're kidding! that was my opinion with the ending. Someone always has to die in the end in a sappy cliché ending way. Six out of ten scares.

Predictable!, 27 September 2014

Predictable! Timberlake and Affleck had strong performances. The viewer can relate with the two protagonist. The first half of the story is interesting as Timberlake tries to get out of a pickle and gets into a bigger one. The viewer learns of the world Affleck has created and can foresee the dangers/temptations involved. Regrettable the viewer foresees the plot twists and the movie becomes anti- climatic. Runner Runner becomes another 1970's style con with in the con movie. Watch American Hustle, which is far better for the art of the con genre! Well, acted directed and executed, but needed another story rewrite! I give Runner Runner a six out of ten.

So stupid it actually worked!, 23 September 2014

So stupid it actually worked! When I bought this movie I thought it would be awful or good. No in between! Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is about the 16th President's secret life as a vampire hunter. The story line where vampires were in the South and used slavery for a steady blood supply. Vampires or the undead were trying to take over the United States. Abe chose to battle the undead. What worked was the fictional events woven into historical facts. The characters were interesting and Abe was likable. Abe is an axe wielding, smart, and has backwoods charm. Without ruining the movie, Abe with his cohorts, went on a secret mission to save the Union with some exciting C G I effects. A memorable ending. Worth watching.

not bad!, 14 September 2014

Surprisingly okay! The movie left the theatre so fast I thought Frozen Ground was another Cage bust. What worked! Cusack created an excellent portrayal of a serial killer. The mannerism of Cusack was terrifying. Cage has another strong performance as a caring cop. He is type casted with this role. The story was riveting and unravelled in well timed layers. What did not work: The many serial killer/cop movies have become redundant. The cop genre needs to reinvent itself. Not the best movie, but okay. Six or seven out of ten. I wonder if Cage will try a different role for a change? Cage needs to try a different role! Cage's role in this movie was almost like his private detective role in 8 mm. Time to get out of the box Cage.

Mixed feelings., 7 September 2014

Mixed feelings! The Captive is a Canadian made movie. I found The Captive payed homage to the 1980's Telafilm made in Canada movies. There is a cold feel with the environmental shots. The director made cold direct characters with blunt direct dialogue. A Scanners and Videodrome feel. Similar to a Swedish film with a dreary story line in a cold environment. What worked: Ryan Reynolds has a strong performance. A few heart pounding scenes. The tree scene sticks out. What did not work: Captive's story dragged and had lapses in parts. The creepy guy just did not sit well in the film. Unless that was the director's intentions. A few lose endings, which left the viewer hanging. Was the guy who owned the company involved and his wife too? I give The Captive a six out of ten. I may have to re-watch this movie.

Okay., 3 September 2014

Okay movie! What worked: Casting of actors who where believable in their roles. Pierce Brosnan ages well, and like a fine wine stands out. Bronsan's lead role excellently executed. The November Man's actions scenes are believably well acted and choreographed. November Man's script has enough plot twists to keep the viewer guessing. What did not work: Predictable story where the C I A is the bad guys. Seen it done it before. Some of the non-original story line reminds me of James Bond, maybe because of Pierce Bronsnan. A watchable movie. I give The November Man a six out of ten. If it was not for Pierce Bronsnan, the movie would have been forgettable and I probably would have not gone to the theater to see it.

I came in with low expectations!, 31 August 2014

I came in with low expectations! As Above, So Below is surprisingly good. The story is a mix between The Blair Witch project and Raiders of the lost Ark. The characters searching for a huge reward, become trapped into a maze aka Indian Jones style. Dealing with the supernatural, and figuring out the maze creates an interesting story which captivates the audience. The director creates a low budget, independent look with enough scares/twists to make the movie work. Grade B acting, but there is no bad acting with today's modern high standards. Just a few underacting gaps at the beginning. However, I loved the surprise ending! One understands the movie after the ending. 7 out of 10. Maybe they could make part two and have another Indiana Jones series.

Page 1 of 156:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]