mm-39

Page 1 of 159:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Gunman (2015)
A good movie for the cheap theatre!, 18 May 2015

The Gunman is a mix between Taken and the Bourne Identity. What worked: The first half of the story was interesting. Stong social and personal movie messages. The romance theme resonance with the viewer. The direction, acting, and locations were realistic and strong. What did not work. The Gunman's storyline became redundant and predictable. The being hunted down like Jason Bourne in exciting location is nothing special. Many Taken action style scenes. I did not mind The Gunman, but there is nothing speckle which stands out. Penns performance saves the production. A good movie for the cheap theatre! 6 stars for The Gunman. A hint of a Stallone influence in the Gunman. Remind me of the Assians

Middle of the Road!, 18 May 2015

A middle of the Road forgettable movie: The hype was too big, and I can see why Gibson turned the movie down years ago. What worked: Tom Hardy hits the mark as the silent, and tormented Max. The director creates a strong visual rock video feel for Fury Road. The first fifteen minutes grabs my attention. What did not work: Once on the road the pursuit chase scene is way too long. A tiresome visual display of C G I. I miss the Gone in 60 second real car stunts! The bad guy characters are cartoonish. Hard for the viewer to relate and hate characters which are similar to the Transformers. What saves Fury Road is the Max character we all know no matter how hardened Max has become there still is a heart of gold in the man. Six out of ten stars. Nothing special here.

Not good, but not bad either!, 29 April 2015

The Bounty Hunter sounded like a great idea, but did not transfer well to film. The beginning was strong. Butler the ex-husband gets to arrest his ex-wife Aniston when his wife skips bail. There is a cat an mouse game as Butler toys with his ex! The beginning of the movie gained my attention. Regrettably the middle of The Bounty Hunter is a patch work of comic devices where some scenes are funny, and other scenes bomb. The ending has a mix of corrupt cops and comedy which mixes two disjointed sub-plots together. The Bounty Hunter's ending is more cruel than romantic. I found the ending tries to hard to be funny. The Bounty Hunter is a good idea for a movie, but lacks in execution. Five or six stars out of 10!

True Story (2015/I)
Worth watching!, 28 April 2015

True Story is a strong movie. The film is a character driven movie which strongest element is the acting performances of Hill and Franco. True Story is a courtroom/prison drama which could have a bogged down story. However, Hill's character's desperation story about trying to save his damaged career drives the first half of True Story. True story's second half dives into Franco's character. Franco's performance of a narcissistic and sociopath killer is chilling. The Charming yet manipulative portrayal of Franco's character should earn Franco an award. A memorable indie style true crime drama. I believe we will see more of James Franco. Hill, I believe is type-casted into a lackey role. A good career move with both actors. I believe True Story will not be a commercial success, but a movie I would watch a second time.

Unfriended (2014)
An experimental film!, 22 April 2015

An experimental film! Much like the Blairwitch Project where the viewer is made to believe the events are real. The experimental Unfriended has all the characters online skypeing each other. A dead friend posts on the page for her own revenge. What Works: the social commentary on the realistic graphic cyber-bullying images send a strong visual message. How much the movie's characters are self-absorbed and emotionally underdeveloped is done through strong character development. What did not work: The on-line typing technological environment got old fast! No one develops any feelings for the characters in the internet forum; unless that was Unfriended intentions. There is no tension when someone dies. We cannot even tell if someone has died do to the internet venue. Unfriended get across as a low budget, short, indie made film. Like most films of the mentioned genre Unfriended gets across as a low budget film, which lacks any real movie emotion. Unfriended is not a Texas Chainsaw Massacre film of the indie genre. 5 out 10

Taken 3 (2014)
Formulated action film!, 21 April 2015

Formulated action film! The Taken series is similar to the Lethal Weapon series. There is a bad guy or bad guys, action sequences, and a unfolding plot are all staples of the action genre. This time, Neeson is pitted again the L A P D and the Russian mob. Neeson is fighting a murder frame, and must solve a murder, and protect his family. What worked: Great Lethal Weapon action sequences. One car chase stands out in mind. G T A/Scarface ending was memorable. Believable, well casted Russian mob characters. Supporting cast of Seal Team members was good. What did not work: Missing the strong story of the first two. Less brains and more brawn in Taken 3. Action in the ending made Taken 3 a no brainier ending. No one was actually taken in the film. Went out to the cheap theater, which was good for part 3. Taken 3 is milking the series.

Insurgent (2015)
Run of the mill science fiction film, 18 April 2015

Run of the mill science fiction film. Insurgent has all the ingredients of a sci fi/ love interest movie. Forbidden love, virtual reality, conflict with an evil conspiracy, and a final show down. Reminds me of The Hunger games. The beginning is a continuation of part 1 and ties the story into what is happening for part two. The dispersed group of rebels must adapted and improvise to fix the problem/conflict. The conclusion ties all the lose ends and has the shocking/science fiction ending. Formulated, but well acted and directed. Kate Winslet performs the villain excellently. If you are a fan of the genre you will like Insurgent. If not, the viewer will find Insurgent an inferior movie to Hunger games. Seven out of ten stars.

Good movie, 15 April 2015

The Iron Lady is a strong movie. What made The Iron Landy good is the movie called Thacther's story down the middle. Maggie's strong points of being head strong, stubborn, and able to lead were shown as her strengths, but also her weakens. Thatcher movie creates a duality where Thatcher's ideals and leadership help in a time of war a recession and caused her own down as an out dated politician looking like last years politician. The Iron Lady shows the irony of political life. Thachter stood against against unions when there was a time unions got a 33 percent raise, which was unaffordable. Then the other end of the spectrum where Thachter pushed for a flat tax which is unaffordable and un fair to the country. The leadership role spectacularly displayed during the Falklands war. The though decision of sinking of the cruiser and the dealing with the I R A show the difficulties of leadership. Strongly directed and well acted. Streep shines in her role as the Iron lady. A strong supporting cast, which were believable. Thacther's husband was show end perfectly show-en as the comic balance Maggie and her family. Denis was needed with driven Margret. Watchable movie with a sad ending of Maggie and her illness. Seven out of 10 stars.

The Rover (2014)
Realistict but too realistic!, 7 April 2015

A realistic movie, which is too realistic! My wife thought The Rover, dragged on, and was pointless. I believe my wife's thoughts were the intentions of the director. The director's thesis is about when society has no social contract and rule of law people have no direction, and take matters in their own hands. As a result, one sees decay, and crumbling, around them. Guy Pearce's character does reflects a man who aimlessly wonders, is responsible to no one, and violently take matters into his own hands. The main point of the movie was when Pearce was arrested, and felt relieved that he actually was responsible to someone. Pearce envied the officer who had a reason to exist. Pearce incareration was lone spot of relief in The Rover. I was hit with the message that people need a sense of semblance. The lack of semblance was painfully portrayed with the pointless violence at the end of The Rover. Good message but gruellingly realistic. Six out of ten.

Killing Jesus (2015) (TV)
Was comparing the movie to the book., 4 April 2015

Killing Jesus was created in the Spirit of Bill O'Rielly's book. Killing Jesus is about the historical social forces of Jesus' time. Passover with the money lenders, the Roman Ocupation and the politics of money and power. Jesus' teaching were a threat to the social forces of Jesus' time. (and a threat to many in modern times) Bill's movie omits many of the miracles etc for the message is about the times, and lets the viewer decide his or her opinion on the Son of God question. Regretablly, the Makers of Killing Jesus had to edit for time considerations many important parts which were in the book. I believe we would have a double reel movie (an old saying when movie makers used film) to add all the material. Regrettably, all biblical movies leave room for interpretation, and make controversial liberties of what historical individuals were thinking. Did Judas keep some of the money because Judas wanted a horse is more of trying to figure out Judas' motives? A hidden message of how heinous Judas was. What Killing Jesus mastered is the portrayal of Jesus' message about forgiveness, God is love, and Jesus is willing to stand up and sacrifice himself for us. The symbolic message with the fish at the ending states Killing Jesus' thesis. The message is about Jesus' movement and the crucifixion tried to stop the movement, but only resulted in the movement becoming stronger. As with the fish miracle, you decide if Jesus is the Son of God. An attempt at a historical portrayal of which hits the mark. Seven or eight out of ten stars.

Page 1 of 159:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]