JSPrine

Interesting, action-packed entertainment., 6 January 2000

Despite the many negative comments I've read here, I give two thumbs up for "The Wild Geese." Remember that the versions you usually see on TV have been horribly mutilated, which definitely makes a huge difference in the film. Some of these jokers should understand that the movie was made for entertainment, and not as a training aid. As sheer entertainment, this movie does very well indeed.

The combat sequences were well done (they should have been, one of the lead actors had actually been a mercenary in the Belgian Congo), and they even went to the expense of hiring legendary mercenary commander "Mad Mike" Hoare as an advisor, too. Some of the less pleasant aspects of combat soldiering are dealt with satisfactorily, which took guts even in 1978 when this movie was made.

The actors perform more than adequately, despite some highly implausible lapses in logic in their actions...if anything, the writers should take the heat here, and not the actors.

I especially enjoyed the HALO sequence...I can feel my adrenalin kicking in every time I see the C-130 throttling up for its takeoff run, and when the troopers start their mass exit off the tailgate, I can't help but grin.

I find this movie strangely satisfying, and heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys a straightforward action movie. I give it 8.8 out of 10.

Hotel (1967)
Karl Malden steals the show!, 8 October 1999

Big, colorful, lavish, HOTEL is a very nice movie. It's set in New Orleans' French Quarter, and Warner Brothers even managed to get the NOPD star-and-crescent badges on the police officers' uniforms correct...a nice attention to detail. Even the music was properly scored to the locales depicted...another plus. True, most of the movie was shot on WB's back lots, but some of the French Quarter scenes were actually shot in New Orleans.

An all-star cast performs more than adequately, but Karl Malden literally steals the movie! He plays a sneak-thief named "Keycase", and he obviously played his role with relish. In one wonderful scene, he surveys his loot after a harrowing evening's thieving, and sadly mutters "It's those damned credit cards!" If you remember that Malden later became the American Express man ("Don't leave home without it!"), this scene is priceless.

Another classic is when the cops finally get him. Handcuffed to a NOPD officer, Malden can't help but swipe a hotel ashtray as he's being led to jail...grinning happily the whole time.

It's great entertainment, and I rate it 9 out of 10.

A rousing, old-time action adventure!, 7 October 1999

This is one of those movies that makes you feel like a 12-year-old sneaking into the local movie palace on a Saturday afternoon.

If you like exotic locales, rousing action, a lot of humor and a bit of romance thrown in for good measure, you'll probably enjoy this film as much as I do.

Orson Welles ("Bayan of the Thousand Eyes") is the real star, though Jack Hawkins, as usual, is terrific. This movie is a delight, and it stands the test of time. Best of all, it leaves you with a contented smile on your face.

I rate it a solid 8.5 out of 10.

Courage in the face of Overwhelming Odds., 7 October 1999

Jeffrey Hunter is very good in this splendid account of a British seaman who pits himself single-handedly in a desperate battle against a huge German warship.

Slow-moving at first, the action builds inexorably into a grand and (at least for me) very satisfactory climax. Who cares about realism when you can have this much fun?

Michael Rennie (one of my favorite actors) is well-cast in his role, and Bernard Lee (you might know him as James Bond's chief) is also very good.

If you see this movie and enjoy it, you might also be interested in Peter O'Toole's "Murphy's War", which is quite similar in many respects.

I rate this good old movie 7.5 out of 10.

Rape victim confronts an unholy trinity, 9 September 1999

This offbeat Western could have been another standard revenge flick, but the vivid portrayals from the stars inject lots of spice and no small amount of humor into the proceedings.

Raquel Welch portrays "Hannie", and Robert Culp craftily plays "Luther Price", ace bounty hunter, mankiller, and Hannie's mentor.

The real stars of this piece are Strother Martin, Jack Elam and Ernest Borgnine. If you can imagine 'The Three Stooges' as utterly filthy, scummy vagabonds with a propensity for murder, rape and theft, you might get an idea of how this family operates.

Strother Martin in particular is a delight; in the middle of a gunbattle he engages in a clumsy fistfight with one of his brothers over some trivial matter. Another priceless moment is when he presides at a brother's funeral, using a stolen Bible that he cannot even read.

Look for Christopher Lee's subtle and well-crafted performance as a former Confederate gunmaker.

Not your usual Western, this film is well worth watching despite its flaws.

Rated 7.7/10.

Much better than the title suggests!, 8 September 1999

Beautifully filmed in Death Valley, a low budget didn't hurt this fine movie, which was crafted with intelligence, wit, and imagination.

Paul Mantee stars as the survivor of an ill-fated voyage to Mars, and he plays his role with zest, humor, and gritty determination to survive despite the long odds against him.

Nicely adapted from the classic tale, this movie stands the test of time; despite its being released in 1964, it has a uniquely authentic look and feel, despite the dated hardware.

It's a good movie for the kids (they'll probably fall in love with Mona the monkey).

Best of all, this movie leaves you with a satisfied, thumbs-up smile when the ending credits roll, and lots of movies with bigger stars and more lavish budgets just don't do as well.

I rate it 8.5 out of 10

The Finest Western TV Movie To Date, 8 September 1999

If a space alien appeared at your front door and wanted to learn about the American West and why it has such a beloved place in Americans' myths and legends, all you'd have to do is have him/her/it sit down in a comfortable chair, and pop this wonderful movie into the VCR.

Nicely adapted from the excellent novel by Larry McMurtry, this 6-hour epic is a rich delight for the senses.

This movie was an instant classic even before it finished its initial TV run back in 1989. It features excellent acting from all concerned, great dialogue, and a moving and memorable musical score. Besides, the scenery is beautiful, and the attention to detail is awesome.

It's a timeless story of friendship, courage, loyalty, and learning how to come to terms with one's past, as well as the future. In short, it's about life.

Highly recommended to everyone (even curious space aliens!); buy this one for your video collection and take good care of it. It's one for the ages.

10 out of 10.

This movie has it all..., 8 September 1999

...no kidding!

Take every hackneyed gimmick you've ever seen in bad science fiction movies, add in bad acting, cornball dialogue, extraordinarily amateurish special effects, silly 'Martians', and add a garish crimson filter for your 'Martian landscape' shots, and you have a monster of a movie like this one turned out to be.

On the other hand, the monster ameba with the rotating eyeball was fun to watch, as was the gigantic rat-bat-spider creature.

This was made in those grand old days before 'political correctness' was so common; the Astronauts waste no time in wasting the local flora and fauna whenever they get the chance. Hey, why conduct a serious scientific expedition when you can romp around roasting the locals?

All its faults aside (and there are many of them), this is a fun movie to watch, particularly if you enjoy screaming in delight at all the bizarre events depicted on the screen.

Go ahead and rent this one, just make sure no one sees you with the evidence.

Jack Palance soars to new heights in this strange film!, 8 September 1999

This movie is best viewed on videotape, so you can fast-forward through all the boring parts...which comprise roughly 99.3 percent of this fiendishly bad movie.

The budget must have been tiny, and it shows plainly in the cheesy sets and bargain-basement wardrobe, which, by comparison, make Ed Wood's works look lavish in comparison.

Jack Palance ("Simon the Magician") steals the scenes every time a camera is pointed his way. Palance's wonderfully over-the-top, psychotic rendering here is amazing and extremely clever. His giddy flight from the top of an immense tower is extraordinary, and is the only bit of the movie really worth watching.

"Nero", too, had a few memorable lines, but the rest of the cast is miserably wasted. The dialogue is bad enough to elicit gasps, giggles, and embarrassed cringing from everyone exposed to it.

No wonder Paul Newman gets nervous any time this masterpiece surfaces....

I am being generous by rating it a 4.5 out of 10, and that is because I really loved Jack Palance in this funny flop.

Wonderful vintage skydiving sequences, interesting tale., 4 September 1999

Burt Lancaster, Gene Hackman, and Scott Wilson portray a team of professional sport parachutists barnstorming their way through small-town America.

The movie features some fine performances, particularly Lancaster's. I enjoyed the way the small town was depicted; it felt curiously familiar and yet distant at the same time. The movie holds its own, even 30 years after its initial release.

The jumping sequences are fantastic...truly the finest jump sequences ever captured on film at that time (1969). Pay particular attention to the 'cape' jumps, particularly the last one (Scott Wilson's) which gets me bug-eyed every time I see it (yes, I'm a jumper too).

Longish and slow-moving at times but well worth it.