matlock-6

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Utterly useless, 25 October 2005

This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. This is saying quite a bit, considering some of the choices I've made in film rentals.

I got this on netflix based entirely on the fact that someone I went to high school with is topless in it. The topless scene lasted all of about 5 seconds and the rest of the movie was about as much fun as having pungee sticks driven underneath my toenails whilst being forced to listen to Roseanne sing Big Spender.

The "skits" are stupid and consist of the worst kind of juvenile bathroom humor and locker-room gags, and it's such a blatant (and poor) rip-off of The Kentucky Fried Movie that you'll be begging for Big Jim Slade to crash through the wall and save us from the stupidity of "Vince Offer" (whoever that is).

Unless you are a masochist, avoid this pile of rubbish.

Contemptible bilge, 12 August 2004

Bumfights is a "direct to video" DVD that showcases staged fights between homeless people. The homeless are baited with promises of some food or cheap prizes and goaded into pummelling each other into bloody pulp.

The makers of this disgusting tripe should be taken to Cabrini Green in Chicago and made to go toe to toe with hordes of bums. They should get beaten up, allowed to rest, then beaten again. By the most psychotic bums available. Payback galore.

People who take advantage of others who suffer from mental disorders, drug/alcohol addiction and who have no money should not be allowed to market this kind of garbage. It's capitalistc opportunism at its worst.

Bumfights is the most vile, contemptible thing I've ever seen. The makers should be in prison.

Spartan (2004)
Good on some levels, not on others, 11 August 2004

Spartan is a very well made film, and is that rare film in which the protagonist whom we are supposed to identify with is a flawed hero. He seems to have a genuine concern for the girl he is supposed to save from the international prostitution/slave trade, but his behavior otherwise, particularly in his interrogation style, is appalling.

Spartan has some great suspense scenes, good action without any silly effects or unrealistic dance-fighting, and everyone does a good job in their roles. Kristen Bell adds some sensuality to her character and does a great job of playing the neglected president's daughter.

There are other films that do a much better job of working the dark element, but as a whole, this is worth watching.

Clever, well made, cute characters, wonderful!, 7 July 2004

I had never heard of "The Mole" until I happened to watch a collection of shorts on a videotape my girlfriend has. I was suitably impressed.

It's a wonderful, sweet cartoon that entertains without being patronizing. The Mole (the main character) has various little adventures, in this particular case with a camera. His friend the Mouse has the camera and the Mole trades him something for it.

The Mole tends to have some minor misadventures along the way, and here he develops problems with his camera while he's photographing various animals. His solution is that he draws pictures instead.

The Mole is a very cute, lovable character, without being sappy and overdone. Perhaps the best feature of the Mole cartoons is that very little or no dialogue is used (which is helpful as they come to us from the Czech Republic), so any child from any country will be able to understand what is going on and relate to and like the Mole. Characters mostly communicate through actions, gestures and basic sounds. Also a well considered idea is using animal characters in lieu of humans (much like Richard Scarry did in his famously brilliant children's books), meaning that anyone will be able to relate to them, regardless of where they come from or what they look like.

If someone is looking for a fun, harmless show for their young ones to watch, this is a great choice. Actually, I'm 28 and I loved it too! Heartily recommended to everyone.

A wonderful show for people of all ages, 1 July 2004

I adored this show when I was a little kid. Contrary to the review by "Robert Morgan", I recall that Boomer didn't look anything like Benji, but was actually a rather large, shaggy mongrel. I clearly remember an intro/opening credits with this large dog placing mail in a mailbox and raising the red "collect" flag on the side, and a Benji sized dog couldn't do that. I was 6 years old when the show was on though, so it's possible I've forgotten.

This show did borrow the premise of Benji (which I also loved), involving a very bright dog who goes around helping people. It capitalized on the popularity of "smarter than the average dog" shows, and was great for parents to watch with their children, to learn about compassion and humanize animals a little bit, hopefully teaching children that animals deserve our respect and love.

Could this be one of the longest running concepts on TV?, 23 June 2004

The origin of "Svengoolie" is in a show called "Screaming Yellow Theatre" with Jerry Bishop as the Svengoolie character. When this show was cancelled, his young writer Rich Koz took up the mantle and "Son of Svengoolie" began airing on UHF channel WFLD-32 in Chicago. When WFLD became part of the FOX network in 1986, Son of Svengoolie was deemed "not suitable" and promptly discarded.

Finally, in 1993, after 7 years with FOX (with "The Koz Zone" and in other capacities) Koz resurrected the Svengoolie character and found a new home for the series on WCIU (a small local Chicago cable channel). Now simply called "Svengoolie", the show airs to this day, showing a long list of old science fiction and horror movies (mostly low budget) with gags, cheesy effects and skits thrown in during the segue to and from commercial.

Very funny and original idea which was a major influence on things like Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

Convoy (1978)
Typical 1970s garbage, 22 June 2004

This is a moderately entertaining movie and has a good cast, but is so unbelievable and silly that it's painful to watch.

The premise involves a "working class hero", a truck driver to be precise, who has some kind of run in with a corrupt sheriff and responds with vigilante road rage on a grand scale. Redneck truck drivers from all over the place join the "convoy", and they keep driving and driving, with news reporters following them and the police after them. Supposedly they're fighting for their right to "keep on truckin" or something like that.

*SPOILERS, DON'T READ ANY MORE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END*

At the end, good ol' boy the "Rubber Duck" drives his big rig off a bridge into a river. Throughout the movie, he and Ali McGraw's character had been talking about the meaning of his nickname "Rubber Duck" (some kind of backwoods advice his father gave him) and I vaguely recall some irony because he couldn't actually swim. So the silly nickname has a dual meaning, the metaphorical one being that you can't sink him and the literal one being foreshadowing his demise by plunging cab first into a huge river.

At the end, the "governor" gives a big speech praising good old Rubber Duck as a hero who opened the world's eyes to the plight of truck drivers who have to contend with all kinds of annoyances like laws and regulations. He's going to tell the U.S. Senate about Rubber Duck.

You'd think the trucking company and the customers they were delivering to would have got the feds all over that sheriff after he messed with enough truck drivers and cost them profits.

Like Airport or Airline, but on a ship, 16 June 2004

Although the show "Airline" is described as a "reality show" by A&E, it's nothing like reality shows. Neither is Cruise Ship, which is basically a mini-series documentary.

The show follows several ship's crew members around while they work and play, showing how much work goes into everything that goes on during a cruise. We see arguments, happiness, sadness, comedy and someone getting fired for being drunk on duty.

If you like Airport or Airline, you'll probably like this as well. Interesting and entertaining. It originally aired a couple years ago, but is rerun from time to time in various parts of Europe.

Genius, way ahead of its time, 12 June 2004

If this was on today, it would probably be the most popular show on TV. The humor was as witty and sharp as anything by the South Park guys. Well known US politicians would appear as Kroft puppets, along with many famous Hollywood people (Cher was always on, speaking in a creaky old lady voice) also in Kroft puppet form. The show was only 30 minutes, I always wished it had been an hour long.

Ex presidents like Ford, Carter and Nixon along with then president Reagan and first lady Nancy were regulars. Fred Willard was the only living person on the show, appearing as a bartender and playing a kind of straight man to the comedy of Nixon's harebrained schemes and other hilarious skits with the puppets. Absolute genius. They should rerun this on Comedy Central!

A great documentary about a great lunatic, 3 June 2004

Anyone who knows of Hasil Adkins knows he's one unique guy. Some say he's even completely bonkers. That said, this short documentary does a great job of portraying Hasil in a good light - as an oddball but also as a friendly, harmless guy and a truly unique musician.

Adkins lives in a shack in the hills of West Virginia someplace, with an old bus and a car with polka dots painted on it in the yard. He's been playing and recording music since the 1950s and has released so many albums that it's hard to keep track of them all. He plays regular shows near his home and has a huge following among the rockabilly scene. He's toured all over the U.S.

His most unique feature is his "one man band" approach, which has him playing guitar, drums and singing all at once.

A short film well worth watching if you're a fan. Actually, chances are you'll get a kick out of this even if you've never heard of Hasil Adkins: nobody can say he's not entertaining.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]