jack-260

Animusic (2001) (V)
Beautiful!, 18 June 2007

Years ago, I happened across an experimental piece of musical video animation titled "More Bells and Whistles" and was quite taken with its novelty. I searched to no avail for an original "Bells and Whistles".

Recently, while having my son check out various films from the University of Hawaii Library, I transposed 2 digits on one of my requests and what I got was "Animusic".

Oh, Happy Day!

There is no original "Bells and Whistles", but what IS on the DVD more than satisfied my original desire for more of the same.

Yet my appetite is whetted and I look forward to "Animusic 2". So does my son, an avid percussionist.

The Plot Outline presently in use is untrue. That sucks!, 24 May 2007

The protagonist isn't really dead...yet...and the antagonist is fully visible to others. What's neat is how she grows in herself to the point where she is led to save him. One lesson to learn is that there's a little bad in everyone and at least a little good in _almost_ everyone (pretty wishy-washy, yeah? But true!) and those qualities can come to the fore. Even his mom eventually came around (a major tear-jerk moment) which I was happy to witness. I was less enthusiastic about her not surviving, but she did avoid having to answer for her crimes in this life. I gave the film 7-of-10, which means it's good for one viewing, but it is not something to be watched again and again. Wait for the video release...and _rent_ it.

Overall, not quite as funny as the short., 21 March 2007

The short, School For Postmen (Ecole Des Facteurs, L')...my rating is 9...is in French but without subtitles. At least it was so as an inclusion on the videotape of Jour De Fete that I saw. It includes most if not all of the bicycle stunts (reshot afterward in other locales) enjoyed in the feature. The additional footage is not as funny as the bicycling, but there's an amusing side bit that has nothing to do with the plot itself. The movie is in B&W, but bits of color are added along the way...red & blue, then orange, then green...and those color bits (flags, pennants, ferris wheel top, etc.) stay on the rest of the way through. There's an artist doing pencil sketches at the fair where much of the action takes place. Whatever he colors in his drawing takes on & keeps those colors. A colorized version of this film would immediately lose that bit of whimsy.

What "animation"?, 29 September 2006

This was one of the famed (and deservedly so) Shelley Duvall live action presentations from the mid-'80s.

Danny Glover acted the title role with verve and sensitivity. Tom Hulce did a fine job as his Boswell.

Director Ray Danton took some chances with his subtle sex/love stories in a work that seems to have been aimed at the elementary school crowd. I refer of course to J.L. Watkins ("I'm too much man for any one woman.") with a lady-friend on either arm...and also to the effort Big John put into winning the affections of his love (sweetly played by Lynn Whitfield).

The early mano-a-mano challenge and the courtship are extras...not part of the story...but they filled in the time leading up to the legend itself very nicely.

Barry Corbin and Lew Rawls also appeared in the cast.

There is no animation associated with this entry (that I could find).

Getting it right...., 28 September 2006

The Plot Summary says, "...looks west from the U.S. side, with the river running right to left...". Reviewer J Hailey also mentions the swift current and the small island (see below).

Trivia says, "First film shot in Canada".

Reviewer Snow Leopard mentions, "2 parts of the falls with water rushing past in the foreground and farther toward the background a stretch of the falls themselves". Reviewer Alice Liddel notes the same arrangement.

Snow Leopard also mentions "an observation point in the middle of the falls". Reviewer James Haugh writes of that same small island and goes on to say that the shot was from Goat Island back toward the American falls.

I lived in the area some 50 years ago. Niagara Falls consists of two cataracts, the 'American' and the 'Horseshoe'. They are separated by Goat Island (U.S. soil, not Canadian). The Niagara River flows straight out of the 'Horseshoe' falls and downstream left to right below the 'American' falls.

The quoted part of the Plot Summary is flat wrong. Looking west from anywhere along the face of the 'American' falls, from the right (or east) bank out to Goat Island, would be a view across the gorge below the falls toward the left (or west) bank. The 'American' falls range basically north-south. Looking south along the lip toward Goat Island, the river runs left to right. Ditto for a shot "west" (south, really) from Goat Island...and there was no islet or observation point between there and the Canadian side.

The Trivia entry *could* be right. I saw the film about 10 years ago and don't recall it precisely, but it *feels* right with the description of the water rushing past in the foreground (running right to left). The view would be from Canada, back upstream a bit from their end of the 'Horseshoe' (to capture the river's rush). The stretch of the falls in the background would be the 'American' falls in their entirety. That observation point would be Goat Island.

But the shot could as easily have been *from* Goat Island. I recall that before I came to the area, there used to be an islet between Goat Island and the U.S. side and there may have been an observation point on it, but it has since fallen over the lip. The view, however, would have to be "east" (north, really, along the face of the 'American' falls...but with right to left flow) toward the U.S. bank. That side of the river is relatively shallow with lots of rocks breaking up the surface. The water doesn't rush past so much as it splashes past, unlike the deeper 'Horseshoe' falls.

Lumiere would have taken the most interesting shot possible, right? To my mind's eye, that would be from the Canadian side as described above, but he would have had to deal with the mist that is constantly rising from the pool at the foot of the 'Horseshoe'. Second best would be from the U.S. side out past Goat Island and centered on the 'Horseshoe', as little or no mist rises from the rubble at the foot of the 'American'.

I'm looking for a copy of The Movies Begin so I can re-view this clip.

I've seen a rather different version of Volume 2, 6 April 2006

But I'll speak first of Volume 1 which I have on a beta tape copyrighted in 1983 by Jerry Fairbanks and released by U.S.A. Home Video Presents. It includes 'Speaking of Animals and Their Families' (1943 Academy Award) and 'Who's Who in Animal Land' ('45 Oscar). The other titles on the tape are 'Monkey Business', 'Fun on the Farm', 'The Hill-Billies', 'Swingin' on a Star', 'The 3 Little Sisters', and 'Animal-ology'. The 2 award-winners are listed separately in IMDb, but as far as I have been able to determine, the other 6 are not.

Now, Volume 2...I have it on that same tape. I don't know how it got there but it obviously didn't come from the store that way. However.... The titles included are 'Video Hounds', 'A Musical Way', 'The Lonesome Stranger', 'Calling All Animals', 'Your Pet Problem', and 'From A to Zoo'. Not a match in the bunch to what another reviewer listed, and not one of the 12 titles has a separate listing in IMDb.

Yes, they're amusing, but the films could never be made today. They are NOT politically correct.

Gina G. as head of FEMA?, 14 November 2005

Makes as much sense as Bush's guy. She did a better job, too.

Amen, Chris...and what was the last hour like for you? Here we got 5 minutes of film and 10 minutes of ads...it seemed like that, anyway. For the last half hour, I kept track and I promise not to buy or use any of the products or services that I noted there-in. It was totally ridiculous!

Yeah, the early voters ought to be tossed out. We know they didn't watch the whole thing. Shot their mouths off with insufficient information.

The movie? Not too bad...I'd say 8 out of 10. I did have a problem with some of the weather/cloud SPFX...way fake. And the weather cleared up much too quickly when the power was shut off. Not to mention that this type of presentation always has to have a "message" tacked on at the end, just in case somebody didn't get it earlier...over-kill, I call it.

At LAST! The real reel thing!, 17 April 2004

I have seen the original.

It's a much better tale (having a plot, even) with the original cast. It just flows more smoothly and developments make sense as they occur. Lords and Byron really do click together in that final scene. The added spice of incest doesn't hurt.

I feel fully justified in raising my previous 5 rating to a hearty 9.

And, really...I would encourage IMDb to grant the film "Back to Class" its own spot separate from, though related to, this classic gem.

Regarding A Duplicate, 9 July 2003

Perhaps the entries under "Physician of the Castle, The" (1908) should be moved to this title. It is after all the same movie.

Well done by cast and crew. The only problem I have with it is the telescoped time for Doc & the Ruler to get back to Doc's house...it seemed too short.

Fascinating idea...., 2 July 2003

Run segment 4 first, then segment 1 (the first half, up to where the column of soldiers passes the broken bell) and it could almost be the introduction to a James Bond spy thriller. Didja notice in segment 2 (just after the mushroom market scene) that even in those days there were both hams and people who were camera-shy?